My "new ears" fitting is on March 25

Hi everyone! Just wanted to introduce myself. I am excited and apprehensive about the 25 Mar when have my first fitting at Costco for 9040 hearing aids.

I joined because I thought could learn so much, and I have. My Costco center didnt give me my physical test results, but Low frequencies were in 30-40 dB range, and then sloped fairly quickly to 80 ish. Both ears were slightly different with right a bit better.

I struggled with hearing issues as a child, seemed better as a teen and young adult, and have been struggling last 5 years or so more and more with hearing.

Any hints/tricks any of you more experienced folks would pass on aclimatizing to wearing hearing aids? Things that you wish you had known?

Look forward to learning and sharing with you all in future. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

@imp Welcome to the forum.
From what Iā€™ve read, Costco do pretty good job fitting wise and you will have 6 months money back guaranteed, if I am not mistaken.

One thing maybe worth checking, is if they do do REM (real ear measurements) so they will check what has been prescribed for your hearing loss, is delivered through the hearing aids.

Few things to consider:
Do you want rechargeable hearing aids or hearing aids with disposable batteries?
Do you want hearing aids with classic Bluetooth (connect to PC, laptop,ā€¦) or made for iphone MFi, or ASHA for latest! Android?
Do you need accessories for listening to TV or portable microphonesā€¦?

:+1:t3:

1 Like

Thank you! Its shocking how much there is to learn. I knew my hearing wasnt great, didnt realize how much was actually missing.

They assured me that my current phone, a Galaxy S22 is compatible with the 9040ā€™s. I currently use subtitles with TV/movie watchingā€¦ else Id drive partner crazy.

I will find out about the REM testing, I ā€˜thinkā€™ they do? But will double-check to be sure.

I went with rechargeables as I figure plug in my phone in at night, might fit routine well. Is there an advantage to non-rechargeable that I didnā€™t think of?

1 Like

Smashing, Philips HearLink 9040 is a good hearing aids, bear in mind the 9050 should be out at Costco any time soon, see here:

Rechargeable vs disposable batteries, itā€™s a difficult debate, but ultimately, itā€™s function of what works for you, maybe you will have to try both, so you can make an informed decision, or you could be happy with rechargeable, bear in mind that you will need a charger, maybe 2 if you do leave home for long period of time, but see here:

For Samsung S22 compatibility, see below:

I believe Philips HearLink is almost the same as oticon Real (if someone could confirm):

https://www.oticon.com/support/compatibility?filters=Oticon+Realā„¢+miniRITE+R%3BSamsungGalaxy+S22

That means you can stream from your phone to the hearing aids.

1 Like

Thatā€™s a pretty big hearing loss for a new user. Be prepared for a significant adaptation period where things sound strange.

5 Likes

imp, youā€™ve come to the right place! Read that thread that Baltazard linked to in his post above here. Iā€™ve worn both battery-operated and rechargeable aids, and can say that your lifestyle will dictate one or the other.

With my level of hearing loss, I opted for Phonak Lumity Life aids fit by a dedicated audiologist - Iā€™ve never gone the Costco route cuz I seem to need help throughout the year with issues that crop up: speakers fail, charging base stops working, software updates and firmware updates needed on aids and chargers, etc., Perhaps you can just be fit with aids from Costco and pretty much good to go after 1-2 follow-on appts.

Battery aids give you more wear time before they need replacing. Recahrgeables are good for folks with dexterity issues, but give just hours of use vs days with a battery powered option. If youā€™re active, travel a lot, like to camp off-grid for a few days, perhaps battery is the better option. Not many tree trunks in the wilderness sport an outlet to plug the charging base into.

Streaming accessories and ability is also key. As mentioned BT streaming from your phone should be stable - so be sure to test that out. Also, if your aids have accessories for streaming the TV, thatā€™s great on the road as well as at home. My Phonak aids have a Roger accessory thatā€™s small enough to use outside the home - works great!

Explore the program options. I have 1. Default, 2. Speech in Loud Noise, 3. Music Setting, and 4. Acoustic Phone (so I can hear stereophonically on phones my aids arenā€™t even paired with).

The day you pick up your aids, hereā€™s a short checklist on what to do BEFORE you step away from the Costco fitter:

• make sure aids pair + connect to BT, then make a phone call right there
  • cycle through all programs + on/off and make sure you can tell what each does
  • have the fitter run feedback management to make sure your aids handle the GAIN
  • if you can buy any streaming accessory (TV streamer, mic, etc.,) be sure they are paired + connected and WORK before you leave
  • Not sure how Costco aids are connected to the hearing aid software, but make sure the fitter DISCONNECTS the aids from that program before leaving

GOOD LUCK to you!

2 Likes

:thinking:

You can even charge a Tesla:

2 Likes

Say WHAAAAAAAT?!?!?!?!

Youā€™ve given me HOPE for future camping trips! Hey, I bet there is even a Lonely Planet ā€œGuide to Rechargeable Hearing Aid Tree Sockets In The Utter Wildnerness For Nuns Who Smoke Pipes and Wear Army Bootsā€.

Iā€™ll check Amazon shortly. :hiking_boot:

3 Likes

Thank-you for the list, very appreciated. I will be sure to use those.

Good to know on the rechargeables, they do come with a ā€œtravel chargerā€ with 3 charges, but I have 180 days in which to return them and I may just do that.

1 Like

Thank you so much for the knowledge and information, its making this experience less overwhelming.

It also is really nice how kind and helpful everyone has been on this post. I may be on here asking a whole lot, I hope dont wear out my welcome! (and hope I can contribute in future to help others as well)

1 Like

FYI, Costco will also help throughout the year with issues that crop up: speakers fail, charging base stops working, software updates and firmware updates needed on aids and chargers, etc. they have an excellent service policy. And yes they do REM, Real Ear Measurements. Just give them an ask.

4 Likes

Relax and let them do their jobā€¦ Make a followup appointment before you leave (3-4wks). Keep a list of situations that need work.

2 Likes

Take time to get used to your new hearing aids. Start by wearing them for several hours a day, gradually increasing the time. It may take some time for your brain to adapt to new sounds.
Make sure to properly care for your hearing aids by following the manufacturerā€™s recommendations. This will help them serve you longer.
And of course, study the functions and capabilities of your hearing aids. The more you know about your devices, the more effectively you can use them :slight_smile:

1 Like

How bad is the aclimatization process? My partner and I are flyong out for a vacation 12 days after, for a week. It should be ok?

I thought they did. When I went for testing, I didnt know any of tge ins and outs, or what they meant. The lovely lady who tested me, asked why I had come, and I said ā€œbecause I cant hearā€.

its good to know they do REM testing. Will that change with me being a bewbie when they do their fitting?

I get used to the hot and humid climate for about a month or two. When the right time passes, I can walk around in a black shirt at noon, and in long pants.

Hi All!

Early days yet, but thought send an update.

Today is Thursday and day 3 or 4 of my ā€œnew earsā€. Costco was amazing to me. They were kind and knowledgeable, and answered all my questions. During my fitting appointment, the noises, Iā€™ll admit I got overwhelmed with emotion. I cried.

Going from quieter office to main warehouse of Costco :flushed:, bit of a jolt to the system. Answering phone calls, a bit of a trial and error, but seems to work well as does the app. Getting used to my ā€œrecorded voiceā€ and so many noises is tiring, but able to wear them 6-8 hours, take a break and in again until bedtime.

The world is LOUD, I walk LOUD, I breathe LOUD-- I am Darth Vadar of the Elephants! Running water yells at me! That being said, I havent said huh? or what ONCE, with a group of 10 animated people with dog click-clacking around, dinner being cooked and served. No guessing or asking someone to translate, no waiting to find context, I just heard. It was easy. I did toggle between ā€œthe speech in noiseā€ and general setting. The speech in noise helped when everyone was milling about considerably.

I have no other aids to compare to, but this is lifechanging. Im making notes of all the thoughts, pros/cons, issues and such and perhaps will post later.

I can only say so far a very positive albeit overwhelming experience.

Also thankyou all for the replies and such.

10 Likes

@imp Smashing, :+1:t3:
Did you get the Philips or the Jabra?

I have the Philips 9040. As this is my first experience, I cannot state if better/worse, but I am beyond happy with everything at the moment. I have a follow up in a month, and I leave for one week vacation in another week, which should give lots of different environments to further test.

4 Likes

First of all, congratulations on your new ears!

Second, just remember that it is okay to take your hearing aids off if the sound becomes too overwhelming. Being able to process sounds you may not have heard for a very long time can become very tiring and taxing on your brain. Take care of your mental health the same way you do of your physical health.

Work your way up by trying to wear it for 2 hours each day, 3 hours each day, 4 hours each day, and work on that.

If you find it is a little bit unbearable, you can ask your audi to adjust it one to two steps down to let you acclimate to more sounds, and then work on increasing the steps til you hit your full prescription. By then, you, your brain, and your ears will acclimate to it well. Remember, itā€™s not a race, everyone hears differently!

2 Likes