Losing hearing aids when removing face mask

I got the sockettes with clip product after using the fishing line set up without a clip. For a frequent mask user or on/off mask use, I would guess the sockettes with clip are a good option, as the best loss protection. You only need to do the clip 1x/d. However, as someone who uses mask infreq for an occas store errand, I may return to the fishing line, as the neck clip is somewhat cumbersome.

I started using receiver wires that are slightly short for my ears. When I take the mask off its harder to tear off the aids with the elastic band

Look up Ear Savers on FB Marketplace. You might be able to make your own.

Received my ear gear 4 days ago and tested them. I bought the one for glasses and clipped. I did not like how they sit when connected to glasses. Also i have to remove my glasses when reading or looking up close at small things and well i keep loosing ha. Will use it only when doing heavy sports. I did like the clip. The cord is an élastique so there is leeway if we mistakenly pull on it. The stocking does make it a bit bulkier but not too bad. Did not feel hot with it either. It does make it a bit tricky at night when i want to open battery compartment to turn off ha. But nothing too hard. I just need to adjust stocking tighter to clear path way. Was it worth it. I find it a bit expensive but if it lasts long its fine

1 Like

I came across a product called the ‘Surgical Facemask Extension,’ although I don’t know if they are available commercially. I found a design for one on Thingiverse and am printing one up on my 3D printer right now to see if it looks to be helpful.

I have heard that some folks are printing these up for friends in the healthcare business, but mainly to make it less painful to the ears due to wearing a facemask all day. I would be interested in thoughts about whether this might be helpful to hearing aid wearers.

Thom

3 Likes

I found this at a gas station! Haven’t lost an aide yet when removing masks.

4 Likes

I saw a simple design done by a lady that lives in Toronto. It consists of short length of stretch elastic that has two buttons sewn on each end. You just loop the mask elastic around the buttons and when you put the mask on, you place the elastic plus two buttons at the back of your head. I don’t have one, but if I did I think I would loop the elastic around the buttons twice so it doesn’t slip off. Very simple to make.

1 Like

Post #4 has a picture of it.

I’ve lost a behind-the-ear hearing aid three times, including most recently due to wearing a face mask. I read all of the posts here. It seems to me that the solutions involving tethering the aids would be somewhat inconvenient and awkward. I did not notice anyone recommending going to an in-the-ear HA. I know there are a lot of pros and cons, but are in-the-ear HA also easy to lose when using a face mask? If not, wouldn’t this solve the mask-strap-induced-losing-HA problem. Thanks.

1 Like

Not too impressed with the sample masks I’ve seen posted but there’s not a wide selection to choose from. CM Almy seems to make a decent mask with a stretch band around the head. So no impact with ears/hearing aids. Price also seem right.

https://www.almy.com/Category/FaceMask-Headband

2 Likes

I bought some masks with this configuration. Works well with my glasses and BTE hearing aids. Purchased from https://losangelesapparel.net/.

1 Like

I bought masks with ties instead of ear loops. I read about tying both at the base of your skull, with skepticism, but it works. The mask fits well and the ties aren’t near the ears.

2 Likes

To chip in with one idea not mentioned before from what I’ve seen: buff (or buff like cheap stuff or whatever of that type - neck warmer is I think official name of the item).
Just check bicycle / outdoor shops and you’ll find them :slight_smile:

And it can be worn and used in many ways as you can see from the pics.

So, it’s around the neck when I don’t need it, and then I pull it up (stretch a bit and then pull up) to cover mouth and nose, and ear, and when I’m out, I pull it down (just slide).
I also wear glasses, and even though it’s not the most comfortable thing if you end up with too much layers on the ear+glasses, since it slides down when you’re done, it won’t catch RIC/BTE HA. Plus, it has no strings.
I have some cheap ones so they heat me up (not proper active wear fabric), but I don’t wear them when walking down the street, only in public transport or entering shops.

Of course, you can sew one, just use some jersey or active wear fabric that you doesn’t fray, and do one seam to make a tube.

I’d say it looks definitely much cooler than crochet + buttons, if you’re look-concerned :wink:

3 Likes

“I bought masks with ties instead of ear loops. I read about tying both at the base of your skull, with skepticism, but it works. The mask fits well and the ties aren’t near the ears.”

Thanks for this! A simple fix that I have been overlooking…

1 Like

@Blacky Well my company won’t allow outside PPE when we see patients. Has to be from our hospital. But this is a good option for everyday outside solution!

1 Like

Oh, sorry, I didn’t quite catch that it’s hospital related. But yeah, for everyday this works nice :smile:

We’ve got a handful of these and two regular reusable cloth masks. The neck gaiter (the proper, proper name) is fine, but even though ours are fairly light, they still are pretty miserable when it’s warm. Also, they do tend to want to slip down.

i’ve found that if I carefully put the ear loops behind the aids…between my head and the aids, then most of the time when I carefully remove them in a similar way it’ll work nicely.

1 Like

I know that in my bad ear, when I lose my aid, I hardly notice. It doesn’t help a whole lot in the first place so very easy to miss. I also have the same problem with sling-shotting my aid when taking off my masks.

I had a similar problem with face mask straps around the ears knocking the HA’s out. I simply cut off the bottom strap, ran the top strap over the crown of my head, and draped the bottom of the mask under my chin. Has worked well. Jay

1 Like