Losing hearing aids when removing face mask

Correct. But why would it be bad? I saw the picture of glasses retainers and this were shown fastened to the Microphone. I thought they looked clunky. You could also fasten them to the wire.
Someone mentioned fishing line and fisherman’s knots. Where would that be secured?
Personally I have not tried anything yet.

There’s a difference between wrapping something around the aid (which I’m thinking may be the glasses retainer you’re describing?) and shoving something through the mic port. It’s not an open hole, although it looks like it.

This video shows what Signia aids are like inside - most are similar to this: The inner life of hearing aids - YouTube

Ah, thank you, obvious now I know what it is.

1 Like

As a quick & dirty Fix until you find your perfect Nicer Fix, just use nylon fishing leader & tie it around the tube between the RIC & the BTE parts. If you like a “Punk Look”, you can include some feathers or an actual Fly.

I think you are right. As a rare mask wearer I would not be so keen. However I found the mask removal from the top/front certainly worked better than the bottom and back.

Have worn my Fishing line tie for most of the Pandemic.

My Audi just gave me this with a the new pair of More 1s I’m trying out… I guess a marketing opportunity not to be missed :slight_smile:

1 Like

My audi explained that this could be a problem, and she suggested that I use an around the neck snood like thing that I could just bring up to cover my nose and mouth when needed. It has worked PERFECTLY, and I just leave it on during whatever time I am out and about, raising it when needed. Added benefits are that it is more comfortable than the behind the ears mask and I don’t have to keep taking it off and putting it back on.

Oh, and Phonak also has a clip that they provide with the Paradise that hooks on to the “straps” of a regular mask and then clips together. Looks like it would work better than the Oticon thingy. Haven’t tried that but I like the around the neck solution better.

I have a similar neck covering with a draw cord so it can be fastened over the nose, its draw back is it is a single layer of fabric. I also could add a scarf, but both are not really suitable as we enter summer.

I do see people wearing visors and no direct mouth and nose cover. I have some too but not sure whether they are really acceptable.

One thing I haven’t heard mentioned in this entire discussion is the level of protection the masks provide. IMO if they aren’t N95 then you are kidding yourself and others.

1 Like

Member, I supposed I questioned the issue of face masks and face shields, but regarding level of protection that is an entirely different topic and I am sure there are other discussion and groups covering that.
The issue here is avoiding losing one’s aids when complying with the law. In Spain masks are mandatory even out doors. In UK and US we do see people wearing them out doors though they are not, as far as I am aware, mandated.
At least wearing them indoors and out reduces the chances of losing the aids in the great outdoors.

4 Likes

Can’t understand what anyone says anyway with their mouth covered with a mask so I might as well just leave the aids in my pocket

1 Like

Hass, very true. I was in hospital yesterday. The floor signs were not the most explicit. I was supposed to stand a metre back from a perspex screen that had some holes drilled in it. Either side were, what I eventually worked out, were microphones on stalks and two speakers. The receptionist sat, masked, behind the screen. I stood closer and to one side (I only have one aid at the moment). Sign language would have been easier.

I bought some of that style at Staples, and find them very comfortable and handy.

I use these KN95s from Amazon. They use headbands rather than ear loops and provide a high level of protection (they were certified by the FDA for emergency use authorization as they tested out equivalent to N95s (the US standard). Not all Chinese KN95s are as efficient as marketed so it’s something to keep in mind. You can also get a proper tight fit over the ear loop versions that never really seal right (at least for me). Here’s a link (no, I’m not in the business).

AccuMed 5-Pack KN95 (Headband) Protective Face Mask (FDA Registered, GB2626-2019), Safety Face Mask, Air Filtration Anti Dust Mask, Disposable Particulate Filtering Mask (5-Count), White https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B08N48Y4JW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_JQTVWJ0HZE8WDGEBRBG1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

When I got my new HA last week the audiologist asked if I wanted the ‘wire’ or anchor on the receiver. Only when I looked at the booklet (my original audiologist had not given me one) did I see the little anchor to hold the aid in the ear.
I had only used an anchor like this on my Siemens aids for a day or so, prior to that I had not seen them and didn’t know the Phonak could have them too.
My question therefore is do they help retain the aid in the ear with masks?

not sure if anyone’s ever brought this up but I wonder if there is a lost protection program around, I see some places that offer them but not much details given :frowning:

Abby, yes, there will be plenty of options for insurance. Actually one of the first things my audio said when I spoke with he after the fitting.
I am sure you will find dedicated insurers that will insure your aids. When I lost mine it was covered by my household insurance.
I don’t know how this might work in USA but in UK my insurer insures items away from the home up to £4,000 single item. I do not have to declare items of value less than this. On claiming I have to pay an excess of £250.
It might be possible to get a no excess or smaller excess insurance.
If you have household insurance, look there first.

1 Like

Sorry @roybrocklebank: an excess of what? Did they charge you an additional amount for buying just one HA? (I don’t understand what there was too much of.)

==============================

[EDIT: After consulting 3 online dictionaries, I see that excess = deductible in our English.]