Just been diagnosed as hearing loss - where do I start?

In the UK and went to Specsavers.

Don’t fancy NHS free hearing aid. Are the paid for ones much better?
Is specsavers the best place to get?

Which one? standard, elite etc etc.

Hi Paul,
It’s bewildering at first I know. The good news is that this forum offers so much help whichever way you decide to go. If the price is a factor, then I can personally recommend Costco In the UK if you have one near enough to travel to - top quality aids with a robust fitting experience. If a more personal experience is important, then there are many private firms who will treat you like a king, but you do have to pay for their time and expertise which is only fair. I am guessing Specsavers falls somewhere between these two options. As someone who waited far too many years to confront my hearing loss, I can say that getting hearing aids was the best decision I ever made (after wife & kids of course). It is a process though, and takes a little time for the brain to adapt, don’t expect miracles on day 1, but after a few weeks, with a good fitting, you might wonder how you lived without them.
Bob

5 Likes

thanks Bob. Yes theres a costco not far from me… Didn’t know they did them…

Welcome to the forum.

This question has many variables. Your particular hearing loss, lifestyle, age and finances play a big part in your decision making. Only you can be the judge.

To make good decisions concerning hearing aids you need to get educated about your hearing loss and hearing aids. If you have time, read as much as possible on this forum to learn. Ask questions as you figure things out. As mentioned, Costco is hard to beat. They are not out to rip you off. They have really good service and warranties on their aids.

Good luck.

1 Like

I’d recommend reading thia blog, start here

Get familiar with these
best practices summarised by dr cliff

And check youtube channel from both authors, dr cliff and value hearing.

And don’t rush into buying aids before you understand how they help you, if they help you.

It depends where you are in the UK. Only a few branches of Costco have hearing centres. Edinburgh is closest to me and they don’t. These do.

• Glasgow – 0141 553 2215
  • Hayes – 0208 571 8694
  • Southampton - 02380 764 836
  • Farnborough - 01252 896 954

Also * Watford - 01923 699

Ah Im near Cardiff so might be a non-runner then…

I’m in the UK and I use Amplifon which has branches all over, including one in Cardiff.

better than specsavers?

ah one in cwmbran which is even closer…

@paul3 I have also just been told I need hearing aids. I am curious why you don’t want the NHS aids? I was thinking of trying them first as I have nothing to compare them to but I would then I would have a very long wait before I could get them. I was quoted £4k by a private company :open_mouth:

NHS aids are older models, but are pretty good, no bells or whistles, but at least you will get a REM fit. Where as, you could end up spending £3k to £4k and have a inferior outcome, because some national retailers do not do a REM fit.

1 Like

Really not keen on the over the ear type to be honest…
Yeh I know but I am just getting used to the idea.

1 Like

REM fit?

Specsavers are talking approx £1500

Hi, I don’t know how good the NHS is in Wales but in Doncaster I get good service from the hearing clinic.
About a year back they upgraded to Phonak Auto range which retails at about £1700 a pair under the bolero name. They do use the venture platform which at the time was considered very good as do all new introductions.
I have the older nathos type which suit me fine and busy as they are at the clinic they gave me a separate programe to hear the car engine better.
If you can tolerate the waiting times I would try the NHS. Expect to get ear moulds with bte and not anything less visible.
Do some research on here including terminology, but accept that you must be prepared to persevere
with your aids no matter what the brand.
You will have to go back to NHS for adjustments as they are locked to their system.
You get free batteries and other spares, if you buy streaming devices they will add them to your aids.
Good luck!

REM = Real ear measurement. Without getting into technicalities, ensures your hearing aids are supplying the prescribed output, to suit your hearing loss.

Hi Paul,

Like the contributor above, I would recommend you use a provider that offers Real Ear Measurements. This is the only tool that will varify the hearing aids are actually doing what they are supposed to do. Have a look at Dr Cliff on youtube. He has an excellent video on this. I would recommend looking at an independent provider rather than a high street chain. The chains will normally only offer products from a couple of manufacturers. In addition, you are likely to get a higher level of care from an independent as they rely very heavily on personal recommendations as they don’t have the big marketting budgets of the chains. Having looked online, Hearing Aid Solutions in Cardiff might be a good place to start.

thanks matthew I may do this…

Hi Paul, not sure if he’s near enough but look up um bongo on this forum. he’s a major contributor as a pro and if you check his cv you’ll see he is very clever.
I don’t think I can give his practice name on here.
Mike

1 Like