Just been diagnosed as hearing loss - where do I start?

I feel sure he’s in Cardiff. If you want further info from him you would need to send um bongo a private message.

1 Like

@paul3 my friend has just got Oticon OPN 2 on the NHS which are made for iPhone (Bluetooth). NHS aids are very good now.

1 Like

Before my friend got upgraded to Oticon OPN 2, he had the Phonak Nathos Auto RIC Aids with domes. Not everyone will get ear moulds or BTE aids.

1 Like

https://celtichearing.com Camarthan and Swansea

1 Like

Sorry correction. https://celtichearing.com Swansea and Camarthen

OK didnt know that. But you still have to get GP to refer you I guess and theres possibly a bit wait?

ok. im in newport so possibly a bit far to swansea…

Yes my friend waited 19 months roughly to get these new Oticon aids. It’s a loooonnng wait!

wow 19 months that is a bit much

Walked past Amplifon shop the other day. See they do free test, trial, interest free credit etc.
What are amplifon like?

I tried Amplifon aids on a trial, I personally didn’t like the sound I heard from them. That said, the sound you hear is a very individual thing. Just because I didn’t like that sound doesn’t mean you won’t. You either like it or you don’t.

Well got Amplifon on trial. Confused though.

They don’t really tell you the differences. One pair is £2400 the other £1600 but they are telling me the £2400 are way better.

Is this true? Now I want decent ones but £800 is £800

Not liking the way they sell these aids. Both specsavers and amplifon the same…

They show you the basic model then theres the premium, super duper, then supreme. Then they imply its ok but you really need the supreme one.

I can understand if its got features like bluetooth etc but theres also a massive price difference. £1600-£2400 for amplifon.

They just seem to imply the more expensive one is better??? Is this true or they just trying to get the most out of me they can?

If you haven’t already, I suggest getting some basics through these two sources

best practices summarised by dr cliff

And they have article about listening in noise, also recommended to read.

Both sources have youtube channel if you like that media instead.

In short - tech level of aid you need depends on your lifestyle and environments you’re in, and your brain’s ability to decipher the information from the sounds it gets. Namely, if your WRS is low, no money will make the difference. If your SNR is high, even highest level won’t do it, maybe mics can help a bit, but it still depends on that number. (you don’t need that number to know your brain is useless in noise, we mostly know that, it’s just more convenient for fitter to see black on white, and also for you to see if your needs go above what any aid can provide, they’re currently on roughly 4-6 db so if you need 10, you can see why aids alone just won’t work with you)

In quiet, low level and flagship perform the same. Assuming they’re both properly fitted (using REM based speech mapping).

However, any background noise makes it harder, for aids and your brain, if your SNR is high. Mind you, high is everything above 4 db. 10 is insanely high :wink:

Level up of difficulty is when bg noise isn’t noise but voices, eg restaurants, where there’s speech babble.

If you need mic, then it might be an option to take lowest tech plus mic, if highest tech alone isn’t working for you anyway. But it depends also what other perks you want from aid.

So, which tech level, tell us your numbers and your usual environment. If you don’t know numbers, then fitter doesn’t follow best practices, so, it’s very questionable on what they’re making their claim about which tech is beneficial to you, and what else they won’t do properly. In short, not worth spending the money there.

For anyone in the USA I’d say, go to costco.
KS9 if you like that color of sound are superb aids, top level, 1500 a pair if I remember correctly.
But I think they have cheaper decent options as well. People here mostly write about KS9 (phonak marvel).

Ah, uk? I think there’s costco there as well?

1 Like

Pretty sure the KS9 is Costco’s least expensive hearing aid at $1500 a pair. Rexton has a pair that are rechargeable for less than $2000 and the rest of Costco’s aids are in the $2800 to $3000 range (in US)