iPhone Voice Isolation setting

This topic was discussed in another thread, and I thought it was best to start a separate thread. @Zebras pointed out an iPhone feature called Voice Isolation that helps when a user is making a call from a noisy environment and the receiver of the call has a hard time understanding.

A caller swipes up (at least on my iPhone SE 3rd gen) and changes the “Mic mode” setting from “Standard” to “Voice Isolation” The feature can be accessed only while on a call, and, apparently, only when Bluetooth is disabled. I have done a little bit of experimenting with this and it seems like the “Mic mode” feature disappears when you enable Bluetooth.

Without Bluetooth enabled I can’t stream calls to my HAs, and I can’t hear the other person on a call. Is it possible to use Voice Isolation while streaming a call to my HAs? Thank you.

I don’t think so. I think the isolation uses the mic(s?)on the phone other than the one you speak into to detect “noise” and subtract it from the call input. These aren’t available when you use headsets.

WH

I can access it with my Phonak Aids. Haven’t tried my Oticon Aids, which are MFi.

But does it work?

WH

https://product-support.phonak.com/s/article/Voice-Isolation-for-iPhone-users?language=en_US

Yes according to Phonak.

@ziploc I have the iPhone SE 2.

Nice. I’ve had it enabled since 16 came out, but I didn’t think it did anything on HAs. Good “call” ;

WH

1 Like

You do have to enable voice isolation on everything you do, like, phone, FaceTime, WhatsApp and so on.

Doing it once, won’t make it work on all types of calls.

The same happens on the Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra. I have to disable Bluetooth to get the voice accentuation.

I only make voice calls 99%. The few times I do FaceTime it is usually a family group chat and others want to hear too. So it goes on speaker mode. Maybe when I’m in noise and they comment, the noise is just too much for it.

WH

1 Like

Some apps, e.g. Zoom, when run on the iPhone have a link to the Voice Isolation feature to improve audibility.

I’ve been on Teams this morning and the voice isolation feature is not available on Teams.

Wearing my Phonak Naida P30 UP.

The next version of the iPhone operating system, iOS18, comes with a new feature called Enhance Dialogue.
This is supposed to improve the audibility of speech when listened to via headphones, and hopefully hearing aids connected via MFI.
It is separate from Voice Isolation.
Here is the spiel from Apple:
Enhance Dialogue helps you better hear what’s being said onscreen, especially when loud sound effects or music is playing. It’s now available on recent iPhone and iPad models when playing through the built-in speakers, wired headphones, AirPods or other Bluetooth®-connected speakers and headphones.
Enhance Dialogue applies machine learning and computational audio to deliver incredible vocal clarity by actively detecting speech across audio channels. So now even whispers are heard more clearly amid the music and background sounds of your favourite movies and shows.”
Note the use of the word “recent” above. It means this will not be available on older iPhones/iPads but I could not find what models were “recent”

1 Like

The iOS 18 Preview blurb about the Enhance Dialogue feature has a footnote 15 at the end of the first paragraph:

1. Available with compatible content in supported apps when using built-in speakers, wired headphones, AirPods, and other Bluetooth-connected speakers and headphones on iPhone 11 and later.

I didn’t find anything about which iPad(s) might get the feature.