How often do you turn volume down on hearing aids

Very rarely. But, yesterday was one of those. I was on 5he golf course and the wind was really whipping around! Turned them all the way down.Now I know why most of my friends with aids just leave them at home when playing.

I thought getting older things would get easier. I was wrong.

DaveL

4 Likes

No Dave, “We” HOH, are between a rock and a hard place, where hearing loss is concerned, there is no respite… We have to learn new tricks, and constantly evolve, in order to communicate, I will rephrase that, in order to hopefully communicate… Perhaps in the future, they will develop an alternative to hearing aids, let’s hope so? But, for the present we soldier on as best we can… Cheers Kev :wink:

1 Like

Most of the day when I’m alone really do not fiddle with my volume. It’s actually set lower than it is when I have company. When my husband gets home it’s turned up to the default standard volume or at 1-2 on the control as he has the TV on loud… I forgot yesterday and wondered why my husband seemed quieter than usual and saw my volume was at -2 in the app woops! Cars are dependant some cars are noisier so volume and program is changed, my mother in laws I have two husband’s adopted mom and his bio mom have incredibly quiet cars both are newer cars I was shocked. I went it’s so quiet I can hear everything you say or touch, or the radio I didn’t need to fiddle there was hardly any noise vs my husband’s and various friends cae it’s all car noise :laughing:

I find j fiddle the most with my volume is when I’m in a restaurant with my family, it’s finding that fine line of louder without loosing speech clarity. It’s a bit of juggling between volumes and microphone direction manually the resteraunt setting for my brand of hearing aids is OK at best. My thoughts on that only changed after using a loaner pair for a month it made me realize other brands handle resteraunt settings far superior than my current 2 year old KS10s. I thought they were good in that area compared to my Brios prior but the Jabra blew these out the water for that despite my struggles with them.

An audiologist I had many years ago describe volume as most only should go to dial 1-2 3 is usually the highest needed this was pre digital hearing aids if you are using max volume all the time it means they either need fixing, they need cleaning or the hearing aids aren’t suitable for your loss. I have to admit she was right for me always found if I was gradually upped to using volume 4-5 because things seemed too quiet it was a microphone issue or a tubing issue

1 Like

“HEAR & BEYOND, Live Skillfully with Hearing Loss”

by
Shari Eberts
Gael Hannan

This book was recommended on this forum. It’s amazing. It encouraged me to change my attitude. It showed me that I might make simple changes, and learn to communicate better.

Before I read it I was a victim of hearing loss. After all I didn’t invent the noise that caused my loss. It came from work at 3M Canada. The Power House had 110 db as noise level. Measured by 3M…(who provided the earplugs that didn’t work. Just like the U.S. military hearing claims!)

I slip back to “victim” at home…(edit–rant erased…)

So I’m soldiering on…

Next audiologist visit will encourage more changes to my Phonak Audeo Paradise P90R’s that I’m so grateful to have. It helps me to know what goes on within other’s lives.

Thanks Kev!

1 Like

To answer this accurately would cast aspersions on my spouse’s ability to modulate the volume of her voice when informed words were not fully understood, either because the radio or TV have not been muted before speaking or words are lost for other reasons.

In the main, I adjust the volume based on the auditory environment.

2 Likes

Same here. I sometimes increase the volume when watching TV (I don’t use a TV Connector).

1 Like

I look at the volume control as another tool in my arsenal.
I use it whenever I feel it’s appropriate.
Generally turning them down 1 or 2 clicks gets the job done at noisy venues.
Muting is also a great benefit!
They don’t put those controls on the HAs for nothing, ya know?

Just like Programs, use what you’ve got to get the most out of your investment, and reap the benefits!

3 Likes

I turn the volume down when I’m reading and the tv is on and I don’t want to be distracted. When I’m in the fitness center and listening to podcasts and there is a lot of background noise, I turn the volume down as well. Otherwise, I use the default setting.

Confess I had old knowledge and old habits.

Buying tv’s and stereos if I couldn’t hear I’d turn up the volume.

With my last audiologist that was what I had to do—they turned up the volume. My new hearing aids are much smarter than that. They perform so much better than the ones i replaced that were 2 years old.

Well I had been testing a pair of Phonak for 60 days and found I was forever needing to fiddle with the volume. I switched to a pair of Oticon and now rarely need to touch the volume. Occasionally down for Odd environments occasionally up for an English tv show with a heavy accent or change programs for a difficult setting… when I do need to change I rarely bother with the supplied app I just use native mode on my iPhone much easier

3 Likes

I never touch the volume of my Phonak hearing aids. I use the Phonak app to turn up the TV volume when connected to my TV connector. To hear less background noise outdoors, l switch from Automatic to Comfort in Noise program. I hardly touch the volume at all.
Also when watching streaming TV, l often turn off the microphone to help prolong the battery life.

1 Like

I have KS10’s and find that I must turn the volume down, or choose from among the many options in the EasyLine app (which includes a full menu page “Loud Noise”), in a specific location: a resonant auditorium with 4 large wall mounted speakers where many in the audience already avail themselves of FM headphones. I find that above a certain volume, amplfied speech from the podium is so loud that I can no longer decipher what is being said if adjustments are not made.

1 Like

By far and away, I’m more apt to turn my aids UP a step or two from default! If I wanted my aids down (or up) from the default 100% of the time, I’d change the default setting to that preferred volume. I’ve done that before, and it’s often a step or two LOUDER than the default the aids were set up with.

That said, I’d also be apt to use the specific programs I have instead of turning the volume up/down. So, if I’m in a noisy place, I put my Phonak Lumity Life aids into “Speech in LOUD Noise”; if I’m listening to music (live or hi-fi) they’d be in the “Music” program.

Might be worth your sister exploring the program options on her aids …

2 Likes

I ‘ride the gain’ according to situation - voices/music/traffic. It’s an easy click up or down from the prescribed default setting on my Phonak M70s. There’s never discomfort because my excellent audiologist has set the output limiter appropriately: it is configured after the manual control.
She removed nearly all the pre volume control auto-levelling, because that took the life out of orchestral music. However, as always, these matters depend on individual hearing and lifestyle don’t they?

1 Like

I rarely move the volume control after I put them in in the morning. It would never be when my wife is reading off the list of my shortcomings (in this case I can’t even reach toward my ear if it itches).
Seriously, my aids are so close to perfectly set up for me that I don’t need adjustments.
I would add that since I live in the country and rarely go to town. Probably why I don’t need changes in volume?
Dan

I turn down the volume on my aids when I’m watching TV with my wife. If I didn’t, the TV would sound much louder to me than it does to her.

2 Likes

I am turning them up and down all of the time! if I am in the kitchen I have to turn them down,the dishes hitting each other is so loud! up and down,up and down,

If I felt I needed to turn them down routinely in normal conditions I’d be revisiting my Audi for sure. As it is I never turn mine down under normal conditions. I do when I connected to my prior phone BT since the phone was not capable of lowering the BT volume enough - lowest BT vol on the phone was still too loud. I MUTE then completely almost always when on public transport because us Westerners are so irritating & rude on public transport - or I’m just a cranky old B@#$@# :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

1 Like

I change mine frequently, too. It usually depends on the ambient noise… I’ll lower the volume to avoid fatigue.

3 Likes