How often do you turn volume down on hearing aids

Until recently I thought the only way to understand and hear better was to increase gain. Turn up the volume.Like the sound systems/stereo I used to enjoy.

Now we have directional microphones, advanced setup tools, and different ways to configure compression.

I’ve read a lot; however, I’ve found it hard to find good material written by knowledgable people.

I adjust volume. Yet yesterday I heard my wife say to our neighbour that I can’t hear as a low-lying airplane flew overhead on final. I had no idea he had talked to me.

DaveL
Toronto

FIRST, IF your sister has her HAs “permanently turned down,” then they are not set correctly for her needs. She should return to the source and have the programming corrected.

I have Phonak Breo 3 HAs from Costco - now 5+ years old. Along with them, I bought a device that transmits directly from my TV to my HAs. I am CONSTANTLY adjusting the volume* both because different channels broadcast at different volume levels and because COMMERCIALS are AGAIN being broadcast VERY LOUD.^

• I HATE opening the mostly useless Phonak app, connecting my HAs and using my tablet or phone battery. So I actually do NOT adjust the volume, per se. I adjust the RELATIVE balance between ambient sound and that coming directly to me from the TV. It is a work around to avoid using the app.

^ For a while, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) had a REGULATION requiring that there be NO volume difference between programming and commercials. That regulation was, apparently, withdrawn. I have heard a strange explanation that i do NOT accept. In any event, people who use HAs SUFFER!

I’m glad that the Oticon work well for you.

Were they provided and setup by the same audiologist that setup the Phonaks?

(20 years ago my audiologist suggested I try Oticon hearing aids. She put them in. I couldn’t even feel the switches on them. So I got to try Phonaks instead. I have nerve damage in both hands and very poor sense of touch. I’ve always been interested in Oticons since then. My first audiologist was amazing! I wish she was still in business.)

Hi Dave,
Yes the Oticon and Phonak were both set up by the same audiologist. Her initial recommendation for Phonak was based on her perception that Phonak’s blue tooth implementation would be a bonus for me but that didn’t work out and in fact I have found the Oticon implementation to be a better matc for me as an iPhone user. I rarely use the buttons on the hearing aids my preference is to use Apples native mode accessed with 3 clicks on the home button - I find it easier than the app or the buttons but not sure that would help you. I agree with you good audiologists are like gold hang on to them when you find a good one.

1 Like