How many sets of hearing aids do you have?

I’m on my 5th set over 20 years. Still have the last 3 sets.

1 Like

When I bought a pair of Oticon OPNs in 2016, this was the first time I bought 2 aids for both my ears. I also owned 6 older different models. My previous aid was Starkey 3 series i110 BTE, which was quite superior to older units I had owned, both BTE and ITE. I sold older units for bargain prices because they could no longer satisfy me.

The most expensive was Starkey, which I liked, but since I had only 1 of it, I finally decided to sell it. I managed to sell for about $180 and even that took more than a year.

1 Like

I have 1 x BTE and 2 x CICs, all operational and used (except one pair of CIC is just a back up).

Here in Australia I mail my old BTEs to http://www.recycledsound.org.au, where they can be reused. The CICs just go in the bin after their useful life.

3 Likes

I have my VA hearing aids that they gave me about 5 years ago. I’ll be getting new ones from them later this month and I asked the Dr. what do they do about my old ones and he said I can keep them for spares

2 Likes

Thank you WH…… I have definitely thought long, and hard about this, 2 different AuD’s, one is NHS, and the other is Private…. The problem is the Private service doesn’t do REM, as REM isn’t a common practice here in the UK, it should be, but unfortunately it isn’t! The Naida M70’s with REM are using, NAL NL2 fitting rationale, not one I am very familiar with, but most certainly the best I have heard with, in 30 odd years…… As the 2 aids are Phonak, and both Nadia’s, my train of thought is, perhaps I could transfer, all the settings in the M70’s over to the Paradise 90’s…… I have Target 7.2, and Noah Link Wireless, I have dabbled in self-programming for about 9 years or so, and in all truth, I am slightly apprehensive about making any mistakes, so for the moment, I am just enjoying being able to hear, but no doubt, this is an itch, I will have to scratch at some point! Cheers Kev :wink:

2 Likes

Hi all! I have 4 pairs of hearing aids in stock:
Widex Dream fashion power 220,
Resound linx 961
Oticon opn 1
Resound Ligo Plus 561

1 Like

I’m deaf since birth, Sign Language, reading lips…Hearing aids for residual hearing.

3 Likes

Just two here. My primary More and backups are the OPN S1.

1 Like

I donate my aids to a local org. that provides them to people who can’t afford to buy aids. If they are not usable for that they can salvage parts and electronics and have a source to buy the parts.

5 Likes

Three. My primary are Phonak Paradise P90Rs. My theme park or working outside set are the ones I had before, Oticon Neru. I still have my Oticon EPOQs, but haven’t worn them in quite some time. They’re my backups for my backups!

2 Likes

I have my current and last 2 Phonak HA.

A few years ago I sent a bunch of my older aids to the Starkey foundation. Lions club and miracle ear also take donations. I just found “Hearing Aid Project” online - How to Package and Recycle Your Used Hearing Aids. They all rehab usable aids for the poor no matter what the brand, use them for parts or recycle the electronics.

In the US you can take the donation off your taxes. All these are US based, but if you’re elsewhere, check anyway. Or check with your audi.

1 Like

Like kevels I have an NHS pair from SpecSavers and a pair of Phonak Marvels. If the NHS ones are changed it is on an exchange basis. I ensure I keep a fresh stack of batteries for the NHS set - card 6, pair last 3 weeks so I get a new card x 2 every 6 months of so. I pass unused cards on to my MiL who gets through her’s more frequently and needs to get her’s from the hospital which is a PITA.
I also get a hearing check for the NHS aids every year and a new set every 3 years or so.
The Phonak have a 5 year service warranty but my Audi is happy to do a hearing check every 2 years. That is not to say I am happy with a 2 year interval or the Audi.
Finally, I ensure my NHS Seimens aids are in my Travel bag as I once managed to go on holiday without the charger.

1 Like

As on today, I have 3 sets.

2014 - Starkey Halo 110 RIC (Left only)
2017 - Audibel A4 RIC (Left only)
2022 - Starkey Evolv 2400 RIC R (bilateral)

1 Like

@kevels55, I tried exactly what you are contemplating. I have perfectly well configured Phonak Virto Q90s and was looking to get exactly the same performance from my new (still on trial) KS10s via Target 7.2 and Noahlink Wireless. The first problem I had was that the Virto Q90s are not compatible with Noahlink Wireless so I needed to export the configuration via HiPro setup and import to Target 7.2. Alas the performance never matched.

I suspect that the fact that the Virto Q90s were ITE half shells and KS10 cShells was part of the problem as the physical acoustics were quite different. In the end I gave up trying that approach and reverted to a new configuration via REM fitting at Costco. The REM fitting is a good starting point for tweaking but my issue is still getting a good fitting cShell (on the fourth set at the moment).

These are my only functioning aids. The Virto Q90s are about 8 years old and still perform well, so I have certainly got my money’s worth there.

1 Like

I think you can donate those things to people who can’t hear but can’t afford

1 Like

Mine are provided by the VA. I have the current Signia Pure 312 7x, Phonak Bolero and several broken/outdated aids. The VA always took old hearing aids back until about 7 or 8 years ago. Now you just keep them and do whatever you want with them. I’m looking forward to a new set in the near future. My Bolero set is totally inadequate. The Signia aids are OK, the left serves well, the right one is crap…
Dan

1 Like

https://www.sertoma.org/

PLEASE recycle these so someone who cannot afford aids can get help!

3 Likes

In the UK, we are somewhat fortunate, hearing aids are freely available at point of service, from the NHS, anyone whom has a hearing loss, can ask for a referral to see an NHS Audioligist, the service is free, and so are the aids they dispense, recyclable aids would be perhaps pointless on this side of the pond? Not to mention for those with old NHS aids, I believe these are still the property of the NHS…… Technically hearing aids, are not free as such in the UK, if you are working, we pay NI (National Insurance), basically I pay around the equivalent of 400 USD per month, (But, the more you earn, the more you pay) this covers all health issues, not just hearing, plus you get the government OAP (Old Age Pension) at 66 years old, approximately 900 USD per month, tis not a perfect system, but if you are ill, or needing aids, you will be looked after…. In most instances, the aids from the NHS will be new, but the technology in them will be dated, maybe 2/3/or4 years HA’s, hence why some of UK residents buy their own, occasionally the NHS AuD will purchase aids with far newer “Technology”depending on circumstances, or level of loss? Cheers Kev :wink:

1 Like

Some of the charities send them to other parts of the globe, so recycling old aids would still be useful.

1 Like

Well SHUCKS! Y’shoulda asked me before I chucked a few oldies! I started out with Starkeys in the '90s, then had Phonak something in late '90s, followed by Oticon something in early 2000s, then AGX (anyone else ever hear of them?) for several years, then Oticon Alta Pro into the teens, then briefly Oticon OPN (returned after 9 frustrating months), then Audeo B-Direct up to 2019. Finally with the Marvels going on 3 years now.

During all these years, I transitioned from the hard plastic custom mold to the soft silicone power dome (as of the Oticon aids). I found that my ears tolerate the softer molds better, and if I keep pushing them into place all day long, they provide a decent seal without too much discomfort. So I chucked the hard plastic aids - that was PAINFUL! You never know when you’ll need something, but none of them fit my ear canals anymore as I’d done got OLD.

I could brag about accessories … but only have two Phonak TV Connectors for now. Oh, and a pair of “sox” I put over my aids when I have my hair colored. Well, that hasn’t happened in TWO LONG YEARS thanks to covid.

1 Like