How many sets of hearing aids do you have?

If you are anything like me, I am a Hoarder, I have extreme difficulty in discarding anything, especially hearing aids! How many sets of aids have you all got, counting backups? On count back, I believe, I have 6 working sets, possibly more if really search! The image is basically my last 10 or 12 years of hearing aids…. I am sure there are far worse hoarders than me out there :rofl: :upside_down_face: :joy: Cheers Kev

5 Likes

I always have my current newest aids and my previous aids as my backups. I use to have to return any aids older than that to the VA, but the VA has stopped wanting them back. But my Audiologist will accept my old unneeded equipment to be reused by the needy in the area.

4 Likes

@kevels55

Which aids are you currently using now? Paradise? How did the receiver in the canal work for you?

1 Like

And I thought I was the only one, I have 6 sets as well, I like to change every now and then :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I’ve had 3 different hearing aids since 2010 when i got my first hearing aid for my right ear which was a phonak but not sure which one as i can’t find it and in 2017 i got a wired cros aid which was danalogic and now have phonak wireless cros 2 with a nathos auto m aid

2 Likes

No, not the Paradise @jbender4, the bronze ones in the middle, are my latest aids, Phonak Nadia M70 SP, by some distance, they are far superior than the Nadia Paradise 90’s, perhaps because the AuD used REM? Phonak Marvel 90’s RIC, custom molds, with 105db receivers are excellent aids, but the BTE is what you need for a severe/profound loss, and the Nadia M70 Super Power Aids, are without a doubt powerful option, they last about 8 days, with around 3 hours streaming per day on the p13 batteries…Cheers Kev :wink:

2 Likes

I’ve got:
Oticon Agil Pro
Oticon OPN 1
Oticon OPN S1 Rechargeable
Oticon More 1 Rechargeable

Returned the Phonak Marvels I trialed.

2 Likes

Any chance you can get the audiologist who programmed your M70s to reprogram your P90s? If they have that skill and knowledge of your case then you could get the best the P90 besides. Not much to lose, it would seem.

WH

1 Like

I’m on my 5th set over 20 years. Still have the last 3 sets.

1 Like

When I bought a pair of Oticon OPNs in 2016, this was the first time I bought 2 aids for both my ears. I also owned 6 older different models. My previous aid was Starkey 3 series i110 BTE, which was quite superior to older units I had owned, both BTE and ITE. I sold older units for bargain prices because they could no longer satisfy me.

The most expensive was Starkey, which I liked, but since I had only 1 of it, I finally decided to sell it. I managed to sell for about $180 and even that took more than a year.

1 Like

I have 1 x BTE and 2 x CICs, all operational and used (except one pair of CIC is just a back up).

Here in Australia I mail my old BTEs to http://www.recycledsound.org.au, where they can be reused. The CICs just go in the bin after their useful life.

3 Likes

I have my VA hearing aids that they gave me about 5 years ago. I’ll be getting new ones from them later this month and I asked the Dr. what do they do about my old ones and he said I can keep them for spares

2 Likes

Thank you WH…… I have definitely thought long, and hard about this, 2 different AuD’s, one is NHS, and the other is Private…. The problem is the Private service doesn’t do REM, as REM isn’t a common practice here in the UK, it should be, but unfortunately it isn’t! The Naida M70’s with REM are using, NAL NL2 fitting rationale, not one I am very familiar with, but most certainly the best I have heard with, in 30 odd years…… As the 2 aids are Phonak, and both Nadia’s, my train of thought is, perhaps I could transfer, all the settings in the M70’s over to the Paradise 90’s…… I have Target 7.2, and Noah Link Wireless, I have dabbled in self-programming for about 9 years or so, and in all truth, I am slightly apprehensive about making any mistakes, so for the moment, I am just enjoying being able to hear, but no doubt, this is an itch, I will have to scratch at some point! Cheers Kev :wink:

2 Likes

Hi all! I have 4 pairs of hearing aids in stock:
Widex Dream fashion power 220,
Resound linx 961
Oticon opn 1
Resound Ligo Plus 561

1 Like

I’m deaf since birth, Sign Language, reading lips…Hearing aids for residual hearing.

3 Likes

Just two here. My primary More and backups are the OPN S1.

1 Like

I donate my aids to a local org. that provides them to people who can’t afford to buy aids. If they are not usable for that they can salvage parts and electronics and have a source to buy the parts.

5 Likes

Three. My primary are Phonak Paradise P90Rs. My theme park or working outside set are the ones I had before, Oticon Neru. I still have my Oticon EPOQs, but haven’t worn them in quite some time. They’re my backups for my backups!

2 Likes

I have my current and last 2 Phonak HA.

A few years ago I sent a bunch of my older aids to the Starkey foundation. Lions club and miracle ear also take donations. I just found “Hearing Aid Project” online - How to Package and Recycle Your Used Hearing Aids. They all rehab usable aids for the poor no matter what the brand, use them for parts or recycle the electronics.

In the US you can take the donation off your taxes. All these are US based, but if you’re elsewhere, check anyway. Or check with your audi.

1 Like

Like kevels I have an NHS pair from SpecSavers and a pair of Phonak Marvels. If the NHS ones are changed it is on an exchange basis. I ensure I keep a fresh stack of batteries for the NHS set - card 6, pair last 3 weeks so I get a new card x 2 every 6 months of so. I pass unused cards on to my MiL who gets through her’s more frequently and needs to get her’s from the hospital which is a PITA.
I also get a hearing check for the NHS aids every year and a new set every 3 years or so.
The Phonak have a 5 year service warranty but my Audi is happy to do a hearing check every 2 years. That is not to say I am happy with a 2 year interval or the Audi.
Finally, I ensure my NHS Seimens aids are in my Travel bag as I once managed to go on holiday without the charger.

1 Like