Help please - Hearing aid housing issue

From your first two pictures it suggest that you were trying to put it back together with the pin “in”.

You should put it back together (without the pin) and put the pin in last.

Eeep. Looks like there should be some nubbins on the inside of the bottom half of the housing that should snap into those holes on the upper half of the housing. If the top ones aren’t snapping in–is there a rubber gasket that lies under the toggle button that is upside down, backwards, or slightly out of place?

I find these easier to do with the receiver out, but be careful not to fully dislodge the receiver pin. Might be useful to remove the receiver with the casing held closed and then move the pin back into neutral before taking it apart again.

Thanks, yeah I’ve tried that also, it all fits together perfectly with or without the pin, just the top half no longer seems to connect and hold one piece to the other.
Very frustrating as I really can’t see any issues but either way I’ve learnt my lesson!

Sorry, I can’t help here. I only made a CT-scan which shows no such details. Didn’t remove the housing.
I hope you can solve it.
Good luck!

1 Like

@darrenjames84

Saw you have put the Aids on eBay.

If it costs around £30 ish to get it sorted, are you sure you want to sell them on?

I understand it’s your choice tho.

1 Like

Wow that was good timing, I had my finger over the accept offer button ebay as someone offered overnight.

Yeah I didn’t get a huge amount of use from them, plus my hearing loss is very minor, and I only snapped these up as they were a real bargain.
I may look at some others, or might look into some of the more ‘over the counter’ type of earbuds which are aimed at enhancing speech. (Jabra/Bose)

Of course not expecting miracles from anything I replace the p90s with, but like I say my loss is very minor.

Do not try to replace the battery in your IPhone! Take it to the Apple store. Same is true for your $6000 HAs - let the factory change the case color

I program my own HAs, take them apart just from curiosity, repair iPhone screens and change batteries - for others as I’m on Android. Its all worked fine.

Just sharing a different point-of-view. This allows me to have high end HAs that would otherwise not be affordable. Like a few hundred vs a few thousand. To do this I’ve read copiously, taken online trauning courses, and learned tremendously about complex and dynamic sound environments.

I would likely be better served to pay full price and enlist the services of an audiolgist who can do real ear measurements and apply the full scope of their knowledge. But that is not affordable and this has worked pretty well.

I was going to share images of mine disassembled but seems I’m too late to the conversation to be of value.

PS I am a life long DIYer with just about everything and have both a medical and tech academic training. This fits my wheelhouse and I imagine it does for many others.

6 Likes

Please share the images anyway!
It would be interesting to see the inside in more detail.
Thanks

Yes you have put the effort into learning - how do you get your hearing test to get Audiograms to program the hearing aids?

Make an appt with an Audiologist.

Excerpt from DIY School PDF file named (How to Program Your Hearing Aids);

1 Like

I was going to share my guess as to why @darrenjames84 couldn’t fit his HA case-half’s back together. But then he up and sold them! Dang, this guy is fast :wink:

Maybe I’ll share my thoughts anyway. If the HA half’s were put back together with the pin-in (see the first picture in the OP/Original Post) then that would create a lever. When using a lever the pressure is increased close to the fulcrum. Well the fulcrum is as far towards the back-end of the HA as you can get. So looking at the components at the back-end of the HA that might bend under pressure the two charging pins seem to be good candidates for perhaps getting bent under pressure. I was going to suggest inspecting the two metal charging pins to see if perhaps they got bent out of alignment and not easily fitting back into the two holes in the bottom half of the case.

As an aside, does anyone want to guess about how we can change the Lion battery without $factory$ repair? It has a wire welded onto the battery, for Pete’s sake.

2 Likes

Yeah a real pain, but I’m convinced it’s only to stop overcharging, so a battery monitor, who knows it could be possible to swap them out without connecting the wire, of course this would be a real fire risk!

1 Like

Yeah I did move fast! Appreciate the thought though!

It was very strange, everything lined up perfectly, just WOULD NOT STAY CLOSED! The most frustrating few hours!

Exactly where Im at! If I wanna do something about it I had to look for an alternative and I’m actually enjoying the process of learning about it as I go along.
Like you say the difference is literally thousands.

You can use the software and do in-situ fitting.
In-situ audiometry is a hearing aid feature that enables the measurement of hearing threshold levels through the hearing instrument using the built-in sound generator and the hearing aid receiver.

You’ll also need the correct programming device to do this.

2 Likes

I got my first test from an audiologist with a hearing test. They gave me the audio gram and I went from there.

I am in U.S. and have Kaiser insurance. They cover the test but anything after that is out-of-pocket. They told me I would benefit from hearing aids and I was kind of surprised and not fully accepting of the recommendation. Just looked back at my first post here. It was 2019 and I was about to buy from eBay just to see what a hearing aid would do… I was able to get a set that was programmed to my audio gram for something like $50. I didn’t know a trial set from an audiologist was an option since at Kaiser the testing is separate from buying the hearing aids. I had no information other than they were very expensive and I wasn’t convinced I needed them. Now I have quite a collection. Became something of a hobby for a while. I now use the programming software to do my own in-ear hearing test. It very accurately modeled the results from the audiologist and there has been no noticeable change though I haven’t checked in about a year, the last time I upgraded my HA’s.

I would not recommend DIY or my approach to anyone. It has worked well for me and I can probably tune my aids to my needs better than trying to describe to an audiologist and then have them adjust. But it is not the right way to go about things for most people. Certainly getting the hearing exam from a professionally educated audiologist is a must. It’s a medical evaluation and not just a hearing test.

Please start your own post on why you think this is the right information to be giving people, I’ll happily be part of the discussion.

Umm said who, you?

Mate it doesn’t sound like you got the results your saying you got, in fact your post is contradicting and confusing.

Ha ha if you say so, I’d recommend being more informed and actually helping out anyone who wants to do DIY, most people who want to do DIY have already gone down “the medical evaluation” and have their respective audiogram.

3 Likes

Was just sharing my experience and thoughts in response to a question. I stand by that it has worked wonderfully for me, and that I would not blindly recommend DIY for most people. That I would not recommend doesn’t mean that they would not be successful for them, it’s just my default without knowing a person. Also, no one needs me to create a new thread on DIY. All the information to DIY is already here on this site. It’s the resource I used quite successfully along with books and online course work.

Why you feel the need to mount a somewhat hostile line-by-line challenge to what I’ve shared as my personal experience and opinion is beyond my understanding. My experience is what it is, my experience. I am absolutely NOT interested in an offense/defense style debate with you.

Ok sure, but the thing is, we have a very active DIY here on hearingtracker, so when someone with limited experience with DIY jumps up and makes a bold statement that they wouldn’t recommend DIY to anyone… Well that’s going to get a response.
So I’m sorry if you think I’m being hostile, it’s certainly not my intention (I don’t like confrontation, a debate is what it is) I still don’t understand your reasoning…but thanks for posting anyway.

4 Likes