Going to try earmolds

Likely because you don’t need UP receivers so you’re missing out on higher frequencies.

All UP receivers don’t cover the higher range like the HP / P receivers do. (Unless you’re using FL.)

You have really good hearing still. You really don’t need UP receivers.

1 Like

Technically you have MiniRite aids. Yes, the brains of the hearing aids are behind the ear, but with the receivers in the ear canal they aren’t true BTE aids either. The True behind the ear aids have the receivers in the man case behind the ear and sound is fed to the ear by a tube, to a ear mold or dome.
And yes all if this can be confusing, and seeing the members here are from all over the world, the explanations will vary.

I am wearing Costco’s Resound Preza’s, Same as Resound Quattros. They are NOT vented.

I really appreciate everyone being so helpful but I have been wondering if one reads through these posts so fast that they get one post mixed up with another. Perhaps in my very 1st post I should have mentioned exactly what I have, Resound preza’s, unvented receiver in the ear. Why would my fitter have told me that they were BTE’s. He has been doing this for 27 years and I feel he is very knowledgeable so perhaps he made a mistake or did not hear me correctly.

@anihan

Is your audiogram actually correct as you say you may need cochlear implants but yet have a mild to severe loss.

Here in the UK, you wouldn’t even be able to get a CI evaluation as your hearing is WAY too good. (Realise you’re not in UK, just giving you an example.)

That’s what we are confused about.
We are reading your posts correctly.

Why would you need a UP receivers when your loss is mild to severe?
Your low frequencies are actually too good for the UP receivers. Seems odd that your audiologist has given you UP receivers.

1 Like

Hi Chuck, maybe I really do have BTE’s because there are two microphones in the part that goes behind my ear and yes there is a tube running down to the receiver IN my ear.

All hearings aids unless ITE or smaller have 2 Mics.

Your Aids, yes have a tube but inside the tube is a wire to attach the receiver.

A BTE Aid with thin tube does not have a wire inside the tube.

@anihan

3 Likes

@anihan: No offense, but I really don’t think you understand enough about:

1. The nature of your own hearing loss, and
  2. The nature of the devices you are currently wearing

… to be discussing this without the availability of either images or accurate technical understanding, on an internet forum, without the benefit of a trained, professional audiologist. This just isn’t the right way of going about it, IMO.

You need that type of professional hand-holding (which I don’t believe Costco is set up to provide) until you learn the ropes.

I don’t mean to offend you. I’m just shooting at what I see in my sights.

[Addendum: : I also realize that all the members (myself included) offering comments and practical suggestions are doing so out of their sincere desire to help. The motivations and the information that people are trying to share are not wrong. But I believe this process is …]

1 Like

Did you have the settings re-run when you had the moulds fitted? The moulds change the acoustic response so you would need to set them up again. Apologies if this has already been mentioned, have just scanned through. If not you would be wearing the new moulds with the set up correct for the previous ear pieces.

1 Like

Cant agree that UP receivers have lower or are limited on upper freqs. Do agree OP should be in MP receivers. The power receivers start at higher gain, so the lows will get over boosted while it does nothing for the upper freqs for the OP because they dont need 100 db gains in the upper freqs. I am not familiar with power receivers that lower the gains in upper freqs. You can see it in the fitting ranges for each receiver. I think you have it backwards Zebras…or maybe I am misunderstanding you?

And the OP would be better off with vents. The loss isn’t bad enough for zero venting in MHO. In fact vented domes should be fine. I suspect something amiss with the fitting and adjustments

1 Like

I mentioned the stuffed up feeling you get with molds that aren’t vented, when you said you had a profound loss, which you don’t. Considering your loss, I don’t know why you don’t have vented molds and I don’t know why you’re being prescribed ulta power aids. Also your discription of your aids aren’t the way bte work which was pointed out by zebra. So you have inadvertently contributed to the misinformation running through this threads. Your loss is mild to severe. You say your aids are ultra power but up aids usually come with molds not domes. So maybe we should all step back and redo this thread because right now we’re all going in circles trying to help the op using misinformation. To which I admit I have contributed to, some what.

1 Like

Here is the fitting range of Phonak MP vs UP receivers.
You can see the UP receivers have a very high cut off. Not needed for OP’s loss. No wonder they can’t hear. The low freqs are either over boosted or turned off. Looks like if OP is using UP receivers then half of their frequencies are over boosted

@hass5744 : BAD hass …:ram::sheep::sheep:
… b-a-a-a-a-d!

3 Likes

Thinking OP should post a rundown of events since initial fit. How many follow up adjustments. What was done at each adjustment. If you can’t hear with them, why did you buy them?
And, why not try different aids instead of chasing the beast?

@mr.smithster: To be frank, I don’t think the OP has a firm enough grasp of the subject to “write home” about it. (But perhaps I’m being uncharitable …)

2 Likes

Phonak receivers. The P receiver goes to 8000 Htz and the UP receiver goes to 6100 Htz.

All UP receivers / hearing aids have less high frequency range.

On Phonak Pro site what each receiver will give.

I realise the OP hasn’t got Phonak Aids but I was just giving an example.

Oticon are the same with UP Aids, Less frequency range so I assume other brands of hearing aids are the same.

They go from <100 Htz but only if you’re in the fitting range.

1 Like

Of course it’s not all th ops fault. Whoever is fitting him at Costco is either over selling what the op really needs and supplying him with more aid then he needs or doesn’t know what they’re doing. Domes falling out, non vented molds, misunderstanding of audiogram, wrong aids, etc. We’re here to help. Hopefully together we can straighten out what appears to be a mess before the trial period ends

1 Like

From the OPs first post. I believe they aren’t new hearing aids but obviously can’t be 100% sure.

Edited due to changes by OP.

WH

That’s not what their own fitting range shows. I posted the fit range from the Phonak site and you can see the UP goes up to 8k. Why would Phonak post a fitting chart range falsely? :thinking:

Edited due to changes by OP.

WH