Going to try earmolds

Took them out and studied them again. They are UP, in fact the receiver looks twice the size of my old HP receiver. Put them in again and the volume number on my TV is still at the same measure as it was before. I had thought I could hear TV at a much lower level than before but not so.

Also I can detect that they are working, in other words they are not dead, but with no better power than my old receivers and domes. :disappointed_relieved:

@anihan : Well, in my experience, moulds aren’t louder, they give me better clarity and speech comprehension.

Why are you looking for power instead of clarity?

3 Likes

Your hearing loss is still really good. Mild to severe, you should be picking up more.

Maybe the make of your hearing aids is the issue? Some people hear better with other brands of hearing aids.

If you’re using up aids your molds need to be tight. There are lubricants like miracell to help slide the molds in easier. You don’t mention, unless I missed it, whether your molds are vented or not. Not vented will feel stuffy and takes time to get used to. You said the domes were falling out and the molds are too tight. I agree with what was already said. 4 days is awfully brief to decide you don’t like the molds. It takes time to adjust. Or you can return to domes falling out which is ridiculous

1 Like

Yes, are your moulds vented or closed? If vented, closing one or both with a plug–this is simple to do–might be worth trying. It also might require reconfiguring your settings however.

I hear music much better with molds, and with my right, worse, ear mold vent plugged. I leave the left mold vent open. odd, but it works!

By the way, I can’t decide whether to spell it ‘mould’ or ‘mold’. Mold seems too much like
you know.

I wasn’t looking for power. I was under the impression that if my receivers were in a mold I could hear better. Of course I want clarity. If there is no clarity loudness doesn’t matter. The molds totally plug the canal so there is no leakage. My molds have no vents. My domes did the same thing, they were not vented either. So I am at a total loss and hope to get this resolved when I go in tomorrow.

I can understand when you’re texting there is much confusion which you would not have if you talked directly to a person,

Sorry but I have never mentioned that my molds were falling out. They never fell out. See my further comments on the venting.

I think the spelling MOULD might be British but I am not sure.

1 Like

Been wearing molds for 30 years. Never had the tubes pull out. Also my audi always checks my ears to make sure they’re clean before he cleans them. I’m beginning to question your audiologist just a little. Also molds without vents will make the ears feel stuffed. It’s almost a necessity with profound loss. With time that feeling will go away or you just won’t notice it anymore. Obviously not after 4 days. I’m not even sure a person with profound loss should be using a dome.

The OP’s loss is only mild to severe.

The op in his original post title said profound. The audiologist said not profound. So which is it. Thank God we have zebra on this forum to correct everyone. Even though the seriousness of the ops loss is secondary to the subject matter. If the ops loss is mild to serious then vented molds would be fine. On more than one occasion the op said his loss was profound. Where does it say his loss is mild to severe which changes everything. I don’t see an audiogram

2 Likes

@hass5744 : I see an audiogram for @anihan. I don’t know what is preventing you from seeing it.

Have a look at the OP audiogram. It’s posted if you click audiogram.

@hass5744

Ok. I see it now. Apparently the op doesn’t understand his hearing loss and can wear vented hearing molds. My mistake was believing the op since he has expernce with hearing aids. And my apologies to zebra who was right. Thank you spud, as always

1 Like

So based on the audiogram, which I admit I hadn’t looked at, and instead took the ops word because it he said he was an experienced wearer, there’s no reason he can’t wear vented molds which would greatly reduce that stuffed up feeding he complained about when putting in the molds. And again I recommend some type of lubricans to help the molds slide in and out of his ear more easily.

1 Like

@anihan

You said in your first post that you have BTE hearing aids but then further down state you’ve been given UP receivers in the moulds.

This means you can’t be wearing BTE Aids as they don’t have the receiver in the ear mould.

Have you got new hearing aids since you stated this thread?

In Phonak / KS10 terms, a P receiver goes to 8000 Htz and a UP receiver goes to 6100 Htz so unless you’re using some kind of frequency lowering, you might not be hearing any better because you’re not getting the highs.

3 Likes

I don’t get why they have you in UP receivers. At my loss, in my bad ear, standard receivers work just as good if not better than UP receivers, i have tried both and self program so played around with both. Maybe I missed it, but what aids are we talking about? KS10? What size vent do you have? I belive you loose lower and mid freqs with UP receivers so that may be why it sounds tinny?

Oh my gosh. So much mixed information in here. asked my Audi what type of HA do I have and he said BTE. But my receiver is in the ear. The receiver is huge in these molds. And I never said I felt stuffed up. They are very comfortable but a bit hard to go in. Hearing just no better than it was with UNVENTED domes. These molds also are UNVENTED.

These make them RIC / RITE Aids then and not BTE Aids.

Receiver In Canal.
Receiver In The Ear.

First things first: The similarities

Both RIC and BTE hearing aids feature a hard case, or shell, that rests behind the ear. This case houses most (or in some cases, all) of the hearing aid’s electronic components, such as the microphone, amplifier, digital chip and speaker.

Both styles also feature an earpiece that’s placed in the ear—this earpiece can be either a custom earmold or a non-custom ear dome. The earpiece connects to the hearing aid via tubing, an ear hook or a thin wire, depending on the style.

In terms of technology, both BTE and RIC hearing aids are equipped to make the most of modern living. You can find the following capabilities in both styles, depending on the model:

BTE vs. RIC: Three key differences

There are a number of differences that arise when comparing RIC vs. BTE hearing aids. These are some of the most important.

1. Speaker location

One of the most important differences in BTE vs. RIC hearing aids is the location of the speaker (or receiver). In Behind-the-Ear hearing aids, the speaker is inside the hard case along with the other electronic components. Receiver-in-the-Canal hearing aids , on the other hand, place the speaker at the end of a thin electrical wire connected to the case. The speaker is then enclosed inside a flexible ear dome or earmold placed in the ear.

2. Size

Since all electronic parts have to be housed inside the case, BTE hearing aids have traditionally been the larger style.
The bigger case can also accommodate larger batteries for more amplification power (see more below). However, the big-and-bulky reputation of BTE styles is slowly fading: many models today now boast a slimmer, sleeker design similar to RIC hearing aids.

3. Amplification

The traditionally elongated shape of BTE hearing aids allows them to house a strong amplifier and large battery.
They can substantially magnify sounds in both the high-frequency and low-frequency ranges.
RIC hearing aids can also offer considerable range, but those with severe hearing loss will still need the bigger boost from a BTE style.

5 Likes