Going from Oticon OPNS1 to More1 aids

Thank you for the empathy Jim, much appreciated :wink: No point in dwelling on it, what happens, will happen, I may Rally yet? And who can say, some marvellous innovation may be inventedā€¦. Or new treatment for hearing loss. Tis excellent that Chuck is doing so well, I like to read good luck stories :wink: Cheers Kev

1 Like

Church service was great, I even understood our soft spoken female pastor. The organ is still too loud for my liking. I was about to understand our pastor even when he was in the back of the sanctuary.

3 Likes

@cvkemp: Weā€™re very happy to hear your good news. Given your experience, and mine, itā€™s obvious that everyone who is HoH should be fitted with a pair of Oticon More Hearing Instruments!

[:wink:Just funninā€™ oā€™ course!]

1 Like

No Jim there are too many that havenā€™t heard a lot of anything in such a long time that they believe everything but speech is just noise. After church this morning we went out to breakfast and shared a booth with another couple from church and had a wonderful conversation even with the waitresses talking loud to all of us old people, and dishes rattling and everyone in other tables and booths talking quit loudly. It took me back at first but I was able to adjust quickly and just keep up with the conversation. Then it was grocery shopping and I asked my wife if the music had always been playing in the store, today was the first time I have heard it. While I canā€™t say I am hearing normally I am more than likely hearing better than a lot that claim to have normal hearing.

2 Likes

I feel I owe you an apology, I threw a bomb ā€œand disappearedā€.

Indeed, I published a post from a few weeks ago, in which I described my transition to the new Oticon device.
I will try to answer in an orderly fashion the things that have been said here.

SpudGunner, youā€™re absolutely right, my comment was out of place, I do apologize and be ashamed, that Iā€™m a little jealous, so I wrote what I wrote. According to the audiogram of cvkemp, His hearing loss is higher than mine, and his reports great results with the new device, and I do not ā€œunderstandā€ "why I can not get the same feeling and improvement in hearing.

Completely, everyone hears differently, and everyoneā€™s mind works completely differently. and this this is something that takes me a while to figure out
There is no doubt that the fact that Chuck manages to get along and feel improvement in terms of his hearing is a very gratifying thing, and I wish everyone to hear and experience progress.
As for my left ear,
Unfortunately it is not possible to use a hearing aid (including Oticon xceed), in a hearing test I was told that the ā€œnerveā€ is no longer normal, and can no longer be heard through this ear.
The options that came up are a cochlear implant, or a Cross device or BoneBridge.
Because the Oticon More device does not currently have a Cross version, so I use a hearing aid only in my ā€œgoodā€ ear.
Regarding the success of fitting a hearing aid for me,
I do not know if my hearing condition in the right ear is considered a difficult / challenging condition for the purpose of adjusting a device.
I know I have been all my life since I was 6, with a hearing aid made by Widex cic, and every few years I replaced a simple hearing aid with a more recent model (also CIC).
And except for one or two sessions, the match was immediate.
With the new device which is of the RIC type (first time for me), I have tried a large number of adjustments, different domes (now I have a custom template), and I still can not get to a state where I hear well. And feel confident in my hearing and with the ability to get along outside.
Every time I make an adjustment to a particular thing, another aspect of hearing is impaired, when treated, a different problem appears.
I can not explain to my audiologist (and I have already replaced 2 audiologists) what exactly is bothering me with a hearing aid, and therefore the difficulty in adjustments.

From my side (and cvkemp), sorry Iā€™ll take your attention from your post.
With my previous device, environments (about 2 meter around me) close to me, I would hear excellent, full understanding of people around me (combined with lip reading). When things were far from me I heard less well. (If I had to hear better, I would have physically approached the center of interest).

On the new device, I hear everything (I know itā€™s a matter of getting used to it), but in the situation that even if someone next to me talks to me, and there is ā€œsomeā€ noise around (kids / noisy restaurant, etc.), I can not understand anything.
If I give an example from my life, I work in an office with several people, I can hear people talking to each other from a distance (and partially understand what they are saying), but with my ā€œcubeā€ friend talking to me (and naturally he talking weaker than people talking between cubes different), I will hear it very weak (or not at all).
And the most important thing for me, is that my ability to understand is very low.
I have a hard time understanding speech from familiar people (who in the past have always heard them clearly for me).
And here comes the matter of adjustments (I tried almost all possible adjustments in the Gensis software: with maximum / minimum noise suppression, with virtual ear in different situations), and I still have not reached a state for me that I hear well and clearly without effort.
My personal feeling, that I hear everything (which is a good thing), but not clear (and it does not matter if it is quiet / noisy situations), when in noisy situations, my ability to understand conversation drops to 0.
As for my treatment by the audiologists,
Indeed, this is what I thought at first, so I took the trouble to change therapists.
But I did not feel any improvement, so it makes me think that just the device is not right for me.

No need to feel bad, this forum is about all of us. And as I have said two people with the same audiogram, can still not have near the same likes dislikes or even the capacity to hear the same. It depends on so many things. I do volunteer work at the VA clinic, which most of what I do is just talk to Veterans that are getting hearing aids for the first time, or are coming back to try hearing aids again after giving up before.
I also at times work the phones by have them transferred to my cell phone so I can hear directly to my aids, I talk to Veterans, that are reading to give up and commit suicide. It is something I have a hard time doing but we have to do our best to save our brothers and sisters. We are now thinking about having some sort of a class, to give the ones new to hearing aids, new to the clinic some help with hearing aids, and what they can expect, and that they are completely allowed to keep coming back for help, and even to ask for what ever they need to hear better.

I think itā€™s a good idea to maybe try something else like the Phonak Paradise to see if that may work better for you or not, since youā€™ve already tried everything in earnest with the More 1 to try to make it work for you.

I remember you were telling me that you were buying the NoahLink Wireless to do self programming, so I assumed that youā€™ve tried many different things on your own already. If youā€™re already set up for it and itā€™d be a quick try, if you havenā€™t done so already, try to go to the Fine Tuning section, under Sound Controls, and adjust the Soft Sound Perception to the right most setting (Detail). See the first screenshot below for this example.

This suggestion is because youā€™re saying that you still have a hard time with people closer to you who speak in softer voices. So a Detail value for the soft sound perception may help more in these situation. I would also go into the Gain Controls section of the Fine Tuning menu and increase across the board the gain of the Soft row. See the second screenshot below for this example.

For people near you speaking, if theyā€™re on your right side (where the better ear is), do they sound better than if theyā€™d been on your left (bad) side?

1 Like

I forgot to tell you that as for as the way my Audiologist set the environments up on my More1 aids. My Audiologist said he set each of the environmental settings to the middle, to just see how I reacted to the settings. So far I have to say everything seems good. Now I havenā€™t been in what I feel is a really noisy restaurant. But the cafe this morning was very busy with Fatherā€™s Day, it was breakfast, it was packed, I didnā€™t have any issues understand what was being said at our booth, or if I was want to hear I could have heard everyone in the booths a round us.

@alfredhaddad36: Nathaniel (I think you revealed your name in one of your first Forum posts): thank you for understanding my initial response to your post, which I understand was made in sadness and perhaps even desperation. My intention was not to shame you: it was to permit everyone to rejoice for a little while in Chuckā€™s
(@cvkemp)'s success.

I feel sadness for your situation, myself, and I intend to participate as helpfully as I can in a detailed discussion of what might be done in order to help you enjoy the same success, also.

My reply will assume greater detail later this evening (itā€™s UTC-4:00 here, where I live), because I have a bunch of chores to do before I can apply the little knowledge I possess to solving your riddle.

But - have no fear - I will tackle your situation with my characteristic tenacity (which, as we all know, is not the same thing as stubbornness!), as will other Members like @Volusiano, who are far more knowledgeable than I.

Please bear with meā€¦ Iā€™ll be back in a couple of hours.

2 Likes

Did your Audiologist tell you that Oticon can push updates for the hearing aids now through the ON app?

No,
But was told that adjustments can be made remotely, but I prefer to physically come to the clinic. And try to fix it.

1 Like

Thank you so much for the support,
And again, I broke into a ā€œpostā€ not mine

Iā€™m already feeling uncomfortable,
I bothered you so much with questions (in private, and in a group).
Thanks again for the professional answer.

Indeed, I have NoahLink, and I make adjustments myself, but not touching FineTunuing but only MoreSound Intelligenec.
I currently attached images only for the VAC formula.

Regarding hearing,
Iā€™m only talking about hearing on my right side, speech coming from the left, I have no expectation of understanding speech coming from my left side.

For this formula, I will find myself amplifying by 5 decibels (using my mobile device).

@alfredhaddad36: Now youā€™re making me feel bad! Donā€™t worry about that any more, please ! Everyone wants to help you, so your post hast turned into a positive thing.

Please, just stay with us, here. And try to remain positive. Inappropriate hardware and poor fitting has adversely affected all of us, at one point or another. Let us all pull together and try to develop some options and ā€œworkā€ them.

Iā€™m only a layman, but one of my concerns is to help you find a way to exploit the cochlea and nerve on the left side, if possible, in order to send at least some contextual information to the brain. Kev @kevels55 is skeptical about this possibility, but - if itā€™s truly a hopeless case - then it becomes even more important to get the instrument in your right ear performing to its maximum potential.

I believe that the Oticon More is exactly the instrument that is most suited to my hearing loss, however, that may not be the case for you. You probably need to try some other makes, as @Volusiano suggests.

Itā€™s important to explore various scenarios and generate some feasible tactical options together, because you are young and need to be able to hear to make your fullest contribution to life.

Can you tell us whether you have seriously explored the possibility of a cochlear implant! Are the cochlea and nerve on the left side in good enough condition to make CI a viable option? And - have you looked at the CI section of this Forum?

Let there be no more remorse. I and the others now understand what was driving your initial post, and we have accepted to help you find a solution.

1 Like

I have 2 nagging questions about your situation, Nathaniel:

1. Why, if your audiologist canā€™t get a good fit for you with the More1 devices, is she not pursuing other makes and styles (eg. BTE versus RIC), and

2. Why has the audiologist not already sent you for a CI evaluation?

[Please forgive me if youā€™ve answered these queries elsewhere, and I missed it.]

I think the others who are involved in trying to help would agree that there are Ć  number of options that should have already been initiated because youā€™ve been ā€œspinning your wheelsā€ with More1 for a while.

What are usersā€™ experience with CROS and BiCROS hearing aids?

Single Sided Deafness Optionsā€“Great article about Cros, Bicros, BAHA

If you learn how to use the Forumā€™s Search function, thereā€™s a library full of information that is highly relevant to your situation, @alfredhaddad36

1 Like

**Everything is fine,
I went to a doctor for a CI test (for my left ear - weak side).
He suggested I have BoneBridge transplant surgery, Iā€™m trying to postpone the end in that sense, Because of the look it will create for me.

Iā€™m not denying this BoneBridge implant solution, but just trying to wait with it, maybe the technology will improve, maybe the processor will be smaller.

In Israel, you can get it for free once every X years, and as someone who works in technology, I know that 10 years is a lot, and things can develop.

As for moving to other companies, I do want to check out Widex moment CIC / BTE or Ponakā€™s paradise. But I only eat for a few more weeks (experience expires).**

Thank you,
I did read the first link you attached before, I did not know the second link to be honest.

Before purchasing the new device, I read almost every article and every post that exists in the field of CROSS.

Iā€™m just waiting for a version of CROSS to come out on my current device.

with gratitude
Netanel

1 Like

@alfredhaddad36: Netanel, I just did a quick ā€œQuackā€ of "bone bridge transplant ", and I donā€™t blame you for wanting to avoid that route. Also, I would be inclined to wait for a CROS device for More - I believe that the DNN in More would be very helpful for balancing the input from the 2 devices.

Believe me, Iā€™m not nearly as expert as other Members here, so this is purely my laymanā€™s opinion: I doubt that any CIC device will have sufficient power to effectively treat the loss in your right (good) ear. Who led you to include this in the options youā€™re contemplating?

What does this mean? Sorry, but I donā€™t understand.

Hi @alfredhaddad36, sounds like this ā€œBone Bridgeā€ is a BAHA ā€œBone Anchored Hearing Aidā€ ? It is for conductive loss, I have 4 friends with BAHAā€™s, each of them are perhaps more vain than the other, so looks are important, they each disguise them well, by growing their hair slightly longerā€¦ā€¦ Cheers Kev.

1 Like