GN Hearing introduces ReSound ONE

One thing I would recommend is asking clinician how long the warranty is for on the receivers and what they are going to cost to replace once they go out of warranty - From what I hear they are quite a lot more expensive to replace than receivers for other devices

2 Likes

This sounds interesting. The concept of placing a microphone in the ear possesses an interesting situation. It would allow you to use your ear to aid in hear with a hearing aid. I will be interested to see how this holds up and if gets clogged up. I am not a big fan of the design as it does not feel comfortable to me when I tried it. It has a lot to like and some things that are not as great.

First report on my Resound One trial: Following my AUD setting up the fitting program and REM I was pleasantly surprised at the increased sound. The speak clarity was a definite improvement, but I was still in the Audi office, so the real world is yet to come.
Driving home I had the radio on at the identical volume and classic music station when I traveled to the Audi office. I noticed much clearer high frequency notes while a piano piece was playing. Noticed more tire noise, but not to an annoying level. Shifting the gear knob was something I did not notice before.
When I arrived home, my wife was much louder, maybe too loud, as was other noises like her using utensils. That will have to be adjusted. Feedback is too loud when I put my hand up to my HAs; if that can’t be adjusted properly then I may have an issue.
I have the top RESOUND ONE model with rechargeable batteries, which is a first for me after over 20 years of HAs with batteries. I will have to report on that later.
Audi set up All Around, restaurant, outdoor and ultra focus programs. I will test them all over the next two weeks.
The Audi told me not to start switching my ONEs and my Quattro s for a week to get used to the ONEs first.
Size wise: the ONE is smaller then my Quattro, mainly due to the 13 size battery vs the 312 rechargeable. I was pleasantly surprised how the M&RIE fits so easily into my canals, especially my more narrow left canal. You can’t even see it in the ear.
I took pictures of the ONE behind my ear and the view of the wire going into my canal, but I need your advice of how to attach pictures to my posts?
Any questions regarding the ONE during my trial, please let me know and I will try and answer.

3 Likes

Nice report and look forward to reading future posts. Hope you adapt to rechargeable batteries versus disposal and have some success with Audi fine tuning aid during future visits. I think one of the main issues with the Resound One will be feedback. Ideally a HA should be perfectly quiet all the time but from time to time they whistle. Maybe when pulling a shirt or sweater on, or as you say putting your hand near your ear. But if you aids get feedback when eating, yawning, putting a hat on etc., then something is off. I see lots of pluses with the 3rd mic near the ear canal while also wondering if the Resound One sound level is set too high - feedback will leak out of aid.

A really tight or snug fit is important for aids/molds/domes to work properly so I hope Resound has made sure the mic - RIC can be inserted and pushed in properly, so feedback doesn’t kick out screeching sounds.

1 Like

You can just open your image in some program, copy the image to your clipboard, and paste it directly into a post that you’re composing as I did with the image below that shows you the UPLOAD button in the editing tools.

You might want to downsize or crop your image before you upload it to go easy on the forum resources.

1 Like

Hope this comes out right.
The one photo is comparing my Quattro(gray) to the ONE(gold). As you can see the Quattro is slightly larger. The other two pictures show the ONE behind my ear and how you cannot see the M&RIE within my canal.
Another observation is too many sounds are too loud, especially utensils banging, water running, and too much feedback.
I will contact my AUD and try and get an adjustment tomorrow instead of waiting a week.

6 Likes

Update Oct 20: yesterday my AUD made some adjustments to greatly reduce the annoying feedback in my left ear. Also changed the dome from small open dome to a small power dome for my small left ear canal. My right dome remained a medium size power dome.
When I got home I immediately turned on the faucet and the waterfall effect from yesterday was much improved as was the noisy utensils (she adjusted the impact noise setting). My wife still sounded loud and clear, a great improvement.
Today I had an eye appointment and while sitting in the waiting room reading emails from my iPhone I started realizing I was hearing conversations around the room. I then paid attention to where the conversations were coming from and to my delight one of them was from an examination room about 20 feet from my seat! The other conversation was about 10 feet away at the entrance door between the person who greats each patient and takes their temperature and hands out a mask.
Now I was getting excited and opened my Resound 3D app and tried several programs between the All Around, Restaurant, Ultra Focus and outdoor(even though I was indoors LOL).
The Restaurant mode did cut out some extraneous noise including cutting down on the two conversations I mentioned, so I went to the Ultra Focus and the ONES switched in about a second to that mode. When I looked towards the 10 foot away conversation I could clearly hear the conversation. The 20 foot conversation did not come in any clearer, but when I switched back to the All Around, the 20 foot conversation was clearer. I could not make out all the words, but about half so my brain filled in some of the words I missed. The Ultra Focus really works, so that’s a plus in my evaluation so far.
My point is I would never have even paid attention to any conversations in the past but these new ONES brought the conversations to me. I was excited to realize this new experience.
I am far from my final decision because I still want to experience a loud restaurant this weekend and also switch between my Quattros and the Ones in various environments later this week.
Also, I have another AUD appointment this Thursday and want to switch the power dome to the new closed dome Resound created for the M&RIE. I want to give this new dome a try as well. My AUD is very patient with me and does a REM every time I try a new dome. She knows if I don’t see a clear advantage to these ONES I will simply keep my PREZAs from Costco.
Sorry for the long winded post, but some folks wanted me to keep reporting my progress.
One more thought: when I looked up from reading emails in the waiting room I knew where to look to focus on the two conversations. Was this due to the M&RIE mic within in the Penna of the ear helping with directionally? I don’t recall having this sense before.

6 Likes

Thank you for the detailed info. Keep posting your impressions. Curious to hear how the Resound One’s do in very noisy restaurants.

Jordan

1 Like

I had the same sound issue you described with my hearing aid coming from left ear sounding like blown speaker and it was not a feedback issue, my Audi noticed that sound and sent it back to Resound for replacement. I’m wandering due to covid times, are staff being short staffed and overworked at Resound therefore HA are being rushed and no QC prior to shipping? After trialing Phonak Virtos and now Resound, I wander if Oticon Opn ITE is worth a try.

1 Like

thanks for the review

Awesome experience! I think you’re sold on them, just didn’t realise that yet :slight_smile:

I mean, when we feel something better and different out of the blue, that’s a thing we’d be reluctant to let go. I felt insanely happy when I got streaming in my ear for the first time, and that’s the feature I now can’t be without :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thank you for the detailed information and YOUR experience. I have a fitting soon to try Resound ONE versus my Costco Preza as well, so I enjoy reading up on your user experience.

1 Like

Update, Oct 21: went back to my AUD and had her switch the power domes with the new closed domes designed for the M&RIE in both ears. She did another REM and made a slight adjustment to reduce feedback in the left HA(this continues to be my biggest concern due to my loss being right on the edge of the MM receiver db gain).
Went to our community pool(I always wear my HAs in the pool , I never go underwater) and while listening to the usual conversations in and around the pool I was impressed by the directionality of the ONEs. Usually my PREZAs sometimes hear better from folks talking behind me than in front; . not today, the ONEs located the discussions much better in front and even folks talking from lounge chairs just outside the pool.
Then a real test; one of the men came into the pool who has the softest voice I have ever heard , and standing near the edge of the pool he started to talk to me and another person. I actually heard about half of his conversation and instead of telling him to speak up as I always have too, I remained quite to see how much I could make out. I literally could almost have a normal conversation with him. This was amazing!
I later when down to our clubhouse gym and it was very windy(I live in Madeira Beach next to the Gulf) the All Around program picked up on the wind blowing into my rear mics behind my ear and did a minor adjustment to reduce the wind noise, but the biggest reduction came when I switched to the outdoor program( I switched to the outdoor program two ways, first using the 3D app on my iPhone and then using the button on the back of the HAs.)
Next test will start tomorrow when I start switching my ONEs with my PREZAs in as many environments I can find, especially the Miller Ale house near our place; it’s very loud.

5 Likes

Oct 24: went to the loud Miller Ale House last night and switched the Ones with the PREZAs. I wore each for 20 minutes to absorb the environment while switching between several programs. On the PREZAs I could only switch between All Around and Restaurant programs, while the Ones allowed me to switch between All Around, Restaurant and Ultra Focus.
The Ones were the clear winner, especially when I switched to Ultra Focus to hear my wife talking in spite of the background noise all around us. In fact when I was in Ultra Focus I could hear a conversation about 15 feet away between three people at the bar when I looked their way. I could not hear all their words, but enough to know they were talking sports.
In Restaurant mode on the PREZAs I could not clearly hear my wife unless I strained and totally focused on her every word, while in the Restaurant mode on the Ones it was easier to hear her. In Ultra Focus I had no problem whatsoever and it was more relaxing to just sit and hear her.
The Ones provided more overall clarity then the PREZAs in Restaurant mode. I don’t know if this difference is due to the fitting done at Costco vs the AUD ( remember I was not happy with the novice fitter at Costco).
One issue remains with the Ones, that is some minor feedback that occurs every once in awhile. It’s a tone that is different than the feedback I notice when I put my hand against the left HA( right HA is not a problem).
The AUD last week had made an adjustment that improved this annoying feedback, but I need another adjustment to eliminate this occurrence. I don’t know if this feedback is due to my left ear hearing loss which is on the edge of the MM receiver’s maximum range. I understand that the more the AUD adjusts for feedback that could affect the ability of the HA to perform to my needs(wish I could explain this in more technical terms as some of our forum experts do) .
If I can get the feedback issue resolved I will go ahead and buy the Ones and return the PREZAs to Costco.

4 Likes

This is good news. I’ve personally found that most 9 series hearing aids today do well in quiet listening environments. Restaurants are the true torture test where you start to see the differences. This is also the one area that needs the biggest improvement because the restaurant scenario is similar to many other challenging situations where you have multiple conversations going on within very close proximity (i.e. large family dinners, parties, entertainment venues, shopping mall, sports events, etc). Sounds like the new Ultra Focus mode is a big improvement. Strangely, some of the technical comments posted here seem to indicate the extra microphones in the Resound One are not used for Ultra Focus. Would love to understand this a bit better.

Jordan

1 Like

All properly fit aid made by top manufacturers in last several years will work nice in quiet, cheapest and most expensive basically the same.

Difficult situations are where they significantly differ. :slight_smile:

@lbr0el0fs this is awesome! When you really can hear and feel the difference, then you know what works!

Good fitter and good fitting process are important, if you weren’t lucky to get it at one place but got at another that’s still good finding. If you can afford both, I wouldn’t sweat too much about is the difference in aids or fitter. You only need one combo that works nice for you :slight_smile:

Maybe a mold with an appropriate vent would be better at controlling feedback than the domes you’re wearing. In my experience actually looking at feedback test results done with the fitting software, there was a lot more leakage out of my ear canals when wearing domes as opposed to custom molds - but the shape of everyone’s ear canals is different. Just think to derive maximum benefit out of a set of expensive hearing aids, it might be good to try custom molds made by ReSound specifically for the ReSound One - I wouldn’t let your audi shop it out to anyone else. I got “Select-a-Vent” for my Quattro molds where the molds came with a large bore vent hole in them and I could insert plugs into the mold bore with different size vent holes to find the size of vent opening that I liked best. Perhaps you’ve already explained in a post above why you’re not going with custom molds - sorry if I’ve forgotten that.

The other thing that would be interesting to know, although, alas, you perhaps do not have a ReSound Multi Mic or a Phonak Roger device, would be how the Ultra Focus setting on the ReSound’s compares to using a remote mic. Maybe your audi has an “in-office” device that he/she uses to demonstrate remote mics to patients and could give you a comparative demo in office?

3 Likes

Jim, thanks for your sound advice. I wish I could use molds, however I have tried them in the past but my crazy left hear just starts reaping moisture to the point that at night I literally have had moisture coming out of my ear onto my pillow.
My ENT is very aware of this and said my narrow canal that also goes somewhat upward instead of more horizontal leads to this condition. He advises me to remove the left dome during the day to allow air into my canal to dry it up. With his awareness I very carefully use Qtips to soak up the moisture.
My right ear canal is not a problem, I can wear the HA all day without any moisture developing. Very frustrating.

1 Like

I should be trying out a pair of 1’s next week … it will be interesting to see the differences between the 1’s and my quattros that I’ve had for 2 yrs

1 Like

My hearing loss is reverse slope almost identical in both ears. I currently have 5 yr old Unitron Moxifits. The Resound One with the 3 microphones sounds awesome from the info I’ve read here.

Do you see any negatives for my loss? I know the Audi fitting is huge for my loss.