GN Hearing introduces ReSound ONE

In my quest to get the best possible hearing aids, I went to my AUD this morning and requested the Phonak Paradise. They should arrive next week and I intend to go through the trial period as I did for the Ones.
I really liked the Ones except for the feedback issue, which was annoying. Also with the ones I had to switch the BT off and on switching between the iPhone and iPad, which was a small annoyance.
The AUD tried to talk me out of trying the Paradise HAs, and thought we could fix the feedback issue, however I am making a decision for the next five years and it’s very important to make sure I do this right.,

4 Likes

Curious if the wind noise was improved with adjustments. I’m trialing the same hearing aids and one of my complaints is by comparison to my other trials the ReSound Ones don’t handle wind as well. Past three trials with other hearing aids wind wasn’t an issue with any of them. I had a tele appointment with my audiologist through the ReSound app. She made adjustments to decrease the wind noise but I haven’t experienced a windy day yet. :wink:

I’ll also be trialing Paradise after my ReSound One trial. I’m not as hopeful about them because I wasn’t a fan of my Marvel trial. I’ll be interested to hear how they compare for you.

I don’t know if the ReSound Ones use the same strategy as the Quattro’s but based on ReSound Audiology Online material, one gets the best wind suppression outdoors with the Quattro’s when using the Outdoor program. The external mics in the Outdoor program have an entirely different setting: “omnidirectional” - in which each ear is listening to sound independently of the other, at least in low-frequency range - the theory being wind noise will show more in one ear than the other. The ReSound wind suppression algorithm uses the difference in noise between ears to figure out what to subtract from the sound spectrum to reduce wind noise as much as possible. So although the microphone-in-the-ear might considerably reduce wind noise as the pinna shades it from the wind, I would think that you’d get the very best wind noise suppression if the Outdoor program for the ReSound One takes advantage of that effect but adds the omnidirectional microphone algorithm to boot. I would not expect the very best wind suppression just using the All-Around program. The Outdoor program is usually included in the default Smart 3D app setup for a reason. I would also think if one has a more open fit with the Ones and good low frequency hearing that that could influence perceived noise. I have a very closed fit that allows noise suppression algorithms of my HA’s to do the best job possible as low frequency sound cannot leak past my molds very well to go directly to my eardrums and bypass HA processing thru external mic reception.

It’s probably true of any HA algorithm but ReSound also states when maximal wind suppression is picked, that will reduce speech recognition as the aggressiveness of the wind suppression algorithm will invariably subtract out some low frequency speech sounds if someone is talking to you in a very windy situation.

3 Likes

Thanks! My audiologist set mine to moderate wind cancellation at our tele appointment. So far, I haven’t noticed much of a difference, but I’ll need a windy situation to test the adjustment.

Overall, Resound One has been my favorite hearing aid that I’ve trialed this year. I’ll probably be choosing between this and Oticon OPNS rechargeable. My last two trials are Phonak Paradise and Signia Pure Charge and Go.

1 Like

Sorry to read you were having some type of feedback issue. I am hopeful the Phonak Paradise will be beneficial for you. I just order my Resound ONE, should have them in a week.
The deal-breaker for me on Phonak is I hated the short battery life (16hrs, I am heavy streaming through my day) on the Rechargeables and the constant program switching the Marvel M90 would do.
Keep us posted!

I find wind noise suppression incredibly challenging to judge. When my hair is trimmed too closely around my ears, I don’t anything would work. I’ve even muted my hearing aids and still got the sound of the wind blowing across the mic openings (akin to blowing across a bottle top) With my hair just a touch longer, it’s not an issue.

1 Like

I agree with MDB on the wind noise. In really bad wind I think I hear some noise from my ear lobes flapping in the breeze! This is with external mics entirely cut off and listening to streaming only.

2 Likes

If you hit the Sound Enhance button in the Smart 3D app, you can adjust wind cancellation up or down as much as you want. For me, it’s available in all four basic programs (All-Around, Restaurant, Outdoors, and Music) but only turned on to Mild in Outdoors, off in the others.

1 Like

In my experience, with all my current HA trials, it’s shown me that wind noise cancellation has come a long way since my last purchase in 2012. The default settings for wind noise cancellation in Signia, Phonak, and Oticon were so much better than my old Widex set. When I began the ReSound One trial, after these other experiences, I immediately noticed that wind noise cancellation was inferior. I’m hoping the adjustments correct for that because they are my top choice. Today I had the audiologist give me the size zero wire length and the on ear fit is perfect. I really want to make this set work!

1 Like

Thank you for the tip!

2 Likes

Wind block is delicate. There is a fine line between blocking wind noise and blocking speech. Tuning has to be right for each person, we are all different.

All the aids you have mentioned are very nice aids. All can be tuned so many ways.

2 Likes

No doubt that’s true that they can be programmed to work for many different people and losses. I was amazed at the advancement in that area without any adjustments (Oticon, Phonak, Signia). My old Widex set could not deal with wind. I was careful to tell the audiologist that I didn’t want my speech frequencies to suffer. But the amount of wind noise I was experiencing was troublesome in outdoor settings. Hoping ReSound can be programmed to handle it as well. I wish they could prevent the hair on mic sound. It’s something that bothers me to this day. So much so that I have to wear my hair pulled back to prevent it from rubbing the mics. In turn perhaps that leaves the mics more susceptible to wind. :woman_shrugging:t2:

Resound makes fine aids.

1 Like

Wind and hair are certainly a troublesome combination and I guess when and where one has trouble with the wind depend on where in the world one lives. In Texas, with the changing of the seasons, fall and spring are pretty windy times of year - although Texas has a lot of wind much of the year - and wind thus is a relatively plentiful and relatively dependable renewable resource here (I asked a smart assistant the other day what the average November windspeed was in San Antonio and 9 mph, plus or minus a few tenths of a mph, came up as the average November windspeed here).

Something that works for me, but maybe not everyone’s style, is a pullover cap. It shields my ears and prevents them from flapping the breeze (today was 20 mph winds, gusting to 30 mph). And since when I’m out walking, I’m ~entirely listening to streamed sound (and walking facing oncoming traffic to make up for reduced hearing), the sound muffling/hair-ear lobe restraining effect works pretty well for me. I think it’s just about impossible to have open mics, loose hair, and 30 mph wind gusts and get the HA’s to subtract all the wind/hair/ear lobe/jacket collar, etc., vibrations out. With the head covering (just as with Ear Gear), enough sound can make it through the fabric that if I turn on my external mics (and stop streaming), I can still carry on a conversation with my wife while walking even it it’s fairly windy (she doesn’t wear HA’s).

Motorcycles, cars gunning their engines on a nearby major highway, helicopters overhead from a big medical center complex a few miles away, military and commercial aircraft overhead from several military bases and San Antonio’s main airport, large dogs barking loudly at anyone walking by on the street usually make wind a lesser concern. (and then there’re the crickets in summer!!!).

1 Like

I have been using the latest Resound ONE hearing aids for about three weeks and couldn’t be happier with them. The Microphone in ear does seem to improve my hearing comprehension. iPhone connectivity and speech clarity is excellent. They are the Technology Version 9 with rechargeable batteries. My previous aids were Resound Linx quattro version 7 which I had been using for 4 years.

2 Likes

Are you sure it’s not the LiNX 3D? The Quattro’s were only issued by ReSound about August 18th, 2018 and I got mine towards the end of October, 2018. I think ReSound refers to both models using the terminology “ReSound LiNX …” so it might be easy to conflate the two comparable models in the same family of HA’s. Great to hear that you like the Ones. I am interested in what everyone here has to say comparatively but by the time I’m in the market for a new set, there may be yet other models all around!

3 Likes

What domes come with the Rseound ONE. Is Feedback a problem? Occlusion?

My audi fitted the Resound One’s with the regular Tulip domes. Feedback has not been a problem. Even when cupping the ear with my hand I just get very low level feedback. Haven’t noticed any Occlusion effect.

My previous hearing aids were the LiNX 3D, not the quattro’s.

1 Like

I wonder if Resound licensed this technology from ExSilent. They produced an aid called the Ytango back in 2012 or 13 and I tried in vain to find a dispenser on the west coast so I could try them. I don’t understand how Resound can claim they were the first, but it may have required today’s faster and more advanced processors to make them work successfully.

Here is a white paper from 2015.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9Thc57-yot_OFV4ODNLRDFkVkk