Getting these pesky settings just right!

Hi Kev,
I have never come across an REM before. I will raise that with her. They donā€™t seem to be quite as proactive as youā€™d expect, sadly.
I wonā€™t give up though!
Roger

1 Like

Hey, SpudGunner,
No need to apologise. You were right to make the point. I put it all out there and people are kind enough to help me develop realistic expectations. Itā€™s still a good benchmark and if I can get near itā€¦
Roger

Thanks Baltazard,
Now I know what a banana is! I can see what itā€™s trying to demonstrate and it does of course match my experience. Iā€™ll take it along to the appointment.
Thanks,
Roger

1 Like

@rogerinshoreham The funny side is you are missing E & U among others, which isnā€™t a big deal I guess, since UK has exited the EU. :rofl:
On a serious note, NHSā€™s ENT should be able to perform REM (real ear measurement):

1 Like

Hi MDB,
Iā€™m a virgo so life is always made complicated!
Seriously though, by putting the post on here Iā€™ve got some really useful info. Your idea of recording my boss is a great suggestion. My wife is already coming for this meeting for that reason.
Thanks,
Roger

@rogerinshoreham Additionally, not sure if your workplace can get you some Phonak accessories:
Like Roger ON or Roger table mic ii, Roger ON has an app and it is easy to use on 1 to 1 or on table situation.

Sorry, I meant Phonak Roger not a person, I hope you roger that :wink:

2 Likes

Thanks for that, I just watched and it was all totally new to me.
I noticed that the soft and medium speech above 4k was below the line. Iā€™ll have to check the banana to see what sort of things are in that region.

1 Like

@rogerinshoreham As Peter Sellers would say: You are wery wery velcome

At my age my reference to work is where I volunteer at a charity so I think youā€™ll understand that they are always short of dosh. My TV Connector was free from the local authority but I donā€™t think they could justify that kind of money. Am I being cheeky asking what you paid?
Roger and over (not out yet)

@rogerinshoreham I paid Ā£1500 back in 2021 for a brand new Roger ON (it did cost me an arm and a leg), then I got me another one second hand on facebook market for Ā£100 as a backup.
They do come on ebay as well, there is one at the moment for Ā£280 brand new.
There are other roger accessories or even phonak partner mic if you shop around.
These are some accessories compatible with your Phonak Marvel M70 SP hearing aids, which will be compatible with the latest Phonak Naida Paradise hearing aids, not sure if you could get a Naida Paradise through the NHS, but worth asking:

1 Like

Helpful!
Thanks! Bananas! (cramp this morning!)

DaveL
Toronto

1 Like

I believe REM is being phased into most NHS Audiology departments, I first had it done approximately a year ago, tis probably the training that is the holdup? Most NHS departments will be flat out, due to staff shortages, and increased workloadā€™s, staff sicknessā€¦So training is usually always put on the back burner, this was the way, when I worked with the NHS, itā€™s probably not changed much? Cheers Kev :wink:

1 Like

Sounds degrades rapidly over distance. Your TV connector streams directly and skips this problem. If you want to replicate the effect for your wifeā€™s voice, clip a partner mic to her or have her speak one inch from the hearing aid microphones. With BBC broadcaster speed and enucciation.:man_shrugging:

4 Likes

Thankyou Kev,
Last time I went they asked me to email them to say what concerns I had. Iā€™m going to do the same this time so no doubt theyā€™ll let me know ahead of next weekā€™s appointment if they can do REM.
Roger

1 Like

@rogerinshoreham

Neville has hit the nail on the head.

Sounds like youā€™ll benefit from a Phonak Partner Mic or Phonak Roger System to get the same benefit as the TV Connector.

1 Like

@rogerinshoreham , @Zebras: Zebes has hit the nail on the head, too! Way to go, Zebes!

1 Like

Iā€™m getting a bit off the topic here but can I ask what is involved as googling leaves me confused. If I wanted to buy a clip-on Roger pen mike for my wife/boss to use will it send directly to my Bluetooth Phonak M70s. Iā€™ve read that in some cases you need a receiver but my HAs donā€™t have any way to plug in a receiver.
If itā€™s just a matter of buying the mike (and a charger etc) then that sounds promising.

@rogerinshoreham You could get the PartnerMic without needing anything else, but if you opt for a Roger system, then YES, you will need licenses to be able to use the Roger accessories.

Edit: Not sure about Roger Pen 1.1 if you will need any licenses.

@rogerinshoreham: Sorry I canā€™t help on this front. Iā€™m an Oticonian, strictly.

2 Likes

@rogerinshoreham

You need a Roger Pen iN or Roger Select iN or Roger On iN to work with your Aids.

Or get a Phonak Partner Mic for 1-1 use which doesnā€™t need licenses.

None of these work on Bluetooth.

EDIT - if you buy a Roger iN off eBay, make sure it has the licenses otherwise itā€™s useless. A lot are being sold without.