Getting these pesky settings just right!

Hi eyesgreendeaf,
I have a growing list of things to raise and this is one of them.
Thanks,
Roger

Hi Mark (I assume it is?),
I did look at that but because I work (unpaid, part time) for a charity I donā€™t qualify. However, the County Council have a ā€˜hearing support groupā€™ and I have managed to get the TV Connector through them and also a very loud smoke alarm. Others might benefit from you mentioning it though. Cheers.
Roger

Still using Phonak @eyesgreendeaf, but I switched prescriptions from, DSL v5a to NAL NL2, approximately a year ago, for me, a big difference to overall clarity, and crisper, overall loudness takes a bit getting used too, took me about a month or so to acclimatise, after that, I was fineā€¦ Cheers Kev :wink:

2 Likes

Are you able to get anything else?

I got a pager system with door bell, fire alarm, telephone alerter and carer button which lights up the baby light on the pager.

I also got a minicom, CO alarm (lights up fire symbol on pager), TV box and alarm clock that has a vibration pad.

3 Likes

@Zebras: Thatā€™s quite the haul! Does the kit have good value at pawn?

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::+1:t2:

[You realize that Iā€™m only funninā€™ you, right, Zebes?]

2 Likes

I do use phonak . An expert audiologist wrote me that at severe to profound losses fitting formulas are not much different

1 Like

Thatā€™s not quite true, the formulaā€™s used are the same regardless of ones loss, however some do seem to prefer certain formulas over others, if thatā€™s what they meant.

2 Likes

Thereā€™s loads of difference.

Some provide a lot more gain.

Some donā€™t provide as much bass.

One seems to literally not provide any bass.

Thereā€™s a big difference.

5 Likes

TBVH @eyesgreendeaf, there is a massive difference in how the formulas sound to meā€¦ I think, I have tried them all via Target, and I had discounted NAL NL2, because of the overall perceived loudness (by me) but it was a extremely experienced NHS A.uD whom switched me to that prescription, so I persisted with it, and as a result, I reaped the eventual benefits! As a side note, how could an A.uD know, or indeed contemplate, even if they are experienced, or not, how sound actually sounds to a profoundly deaf person, unless they have a profound loss themselves, it is all conjecture on their partā€¦ Probably the best A.uD, I have ever encountered, was a profoundly deaf lady in my 30+ years of hearing of, ā€œSudden Sensory Neural Hearing Lossā€, there is indeed, no actual substitute for hands on experience, and I have always been aidedā€¦ I reiterate, conjecture is vastly different, from actual hands on experience! Cheers Kev :wink:

4 Likes

My friend who lives quite a distance from me, has a profoundly deaf audiologist. She says her Aids have never been better since she changed to a new private audiologist.

Shame I live so far away, sheā€™s over 2 hours on the train from me so canā€™t see the same audiologist.

4 Likes

@Zebes: Now, Iā€™m not quite funninā€™ here, but 4 hours, there and back, to be able to hear - possibly better than ever?

By my ciphering, thatā€™s 4 gins in a wee thermos bottle, 2 cucumber and 2 chopped egg sandwiches, and call it a Beatles ā€œDay Tripā€ ā€¦ No big deal.

5 Likes

Hi Guys,
Weā€™ve moved to other areas where you are talking about things of which I know little or nothing!
I have to go to Tescos right now so Iā€™ll explain what I mean when I get back. (Gin supplies, Kev)
Roger

2 Likes

Whoops, sorry that was spudrunner!

2 Likes

Thanks. I wrote what I had been told.
I wish I could get a noahlink wireless device and try fitting formulas by myself but itā€™s expensive here in Turkey. Who would buy a noahlink device at a price of ,letā€™s say, 2000 pounds in the UK?
I suspect that most hearing aid fitters in my country know much about fitting formulas! They just fit with software defaults and some volume adjustments. One of them didnā€™t know how to add a telecoil program.
Anyways, Iā€™m fairly satisfied with my fitting given my poor speech perception. Maybe a bit improvements with further adjustments in the new fitting session soon

2 Likes

My speech perception if ver poor. Dr. Cliff indicates that HAs are limited by speech perception. I do not know your options in Turkey but I have an appointment to be examined medically by an otologist for my hearing & speech perception issues.

I understand your predicament @eyesgreendeaf (or I try too) I bought my Noahlink from the States, for under $200, approximately 4 years ago, you could pickup one there via eBay, or in Europe, or indeed Asia, Ā£2k in Turkey, is a complete ripoff! Prior to this I had iCubeā€¦Yeah, switching on the Telecoil is problematic, if you donā€™t know your way around Target software, it is sort of hidden, it took me, a little while to find itā€¦ Adjusting hearing aids in Target, is certainly not ā€œRocket Scienceā€, tweaking them, as an end user, you get instantaneous results, and as long as you save the initial A.uD settings, you can always revert back to these settings, at any time, so itā€™s sort of idiot proof :upside_down_face: and to be very truthful, I had to revert back on many occasions, because you will make mistakes, but this gives you the confidence for experimenting :slight_smile: Hopefully you will manage to get hold of a Noah? Unless, I want to add or remove a program, if I am happy with my aids performance, I do not tweak any further, I do not endlessly adjust, if itā€™s working, I leave it soā€¦Good Luck, cheers Kev :wink:

2 Likes

Okay, back from the supermarket. A few separate points.
1 In recent posts I have noticed that people have mentioned ā€˜formulasā€™. I was thinking that following my hearing test my audiologist would be adjusting my aids for me uniquely. Am I wrong?
2 Target? Is this something else Iā€™m missing? Would it help?
3 The talk of the hard-of-hearing audiologist versus the usual one does bring me back to my phrase book approach - using words to describe sound Iā€™m hearing - probably a whole bunch of words to allow a reasonable picture to emerge providing the audiologist with a guide of what adjustments are needed.
4 I have seen a new Phonak Clip-on mike for sale at Ā£170 (no docking station). I enquired and got a cautionary reply that NHS (UK) Phonaks may be supplied without the necessary functionality to use Roger equipment. Not sure a Clip-on is a Roger, but this is the first Iā€™ve heard about may HDs being sort of down-graded. Iā€™ve emailed the department for an answer but wondered of you guys recognise this important issue.
Again, I really appreciate all your replies. As I have writing this I notice that Kev has replied so I will send see what he has to offer!

1 Like

Phonak has around 6 different fitting formulasā€¦ A.uD picks one from the drop-down list, in the Target software, Target is used exclusively for Phonak aids, he uses Noahlink wireless as an intermediate device, to communicate between the hearing aids, and make adjustmentsā€¦ Most of us DIY users, have this equipment, so we can adjust our own hearing aidsā€¦ I hope this information clarifies? Cheers Kev :wink:

4 Likes

Phonak Roger Clip On Mic.

As weā€™ve said already. You need a Phonak Partner Mic that doesnā€™t need licenses.

2 Likes

@rogerinshoreham
1- See screenshot below :point_down:t2: for Formulas in Target software used to customize your hearing aids to suit your hearing loss:

Everyone is different, some might like DSLv5a some others might like NAL-NL 2, but you could ask your audiologist to set your hearing aids up for you so you can test them and decide which one fits your bill.

2- Target is the software, as above :point_up_2:t2:

3- No comments

4- Ā£170 a bit steep; If you look at my screenshots in the comment below :point_down:t2:

You can tell which ones are part of the Roger ecosystem and which ones arenā€™t, for example the PartneMic and TV Connector arenā€™t part of the Roger ecosystem (so you donā€™t need a license), but the ones below :point_down:t2: are part of the Roger ecosystem:

Here is a link to the Roger Configurator to help you understand if you need a license to make any Roger accessories work with your Naida M70, make sure you check before biting the bullet, meaning that, buying a Roger accessory doesnā€™t necessarily means it is going to work straight out of the box, unless if you get the iN version, otherwise check the configurator.

https://www.phonakpro.com/com/en/roger-configurator.html

Disclaimer: I am not an audiologist nor a healthcare professional, I am just an average Joe.
Please, take my comments with caution and double check with a Professional. Thx

3 Likes