For Oticon OPN 1, Fitting Link 3 or NoahLink?

Does it matter which bluetooth programming device one gets for the Oticon OPN 1 / S1? Fitting Link 3 or NoahLink?

Usually the software will tell you which programming device is needed for a given aid. Then that device will need to be selected in the software to use it.

You use FittingLink for OPN , I think oticon has only come on board with their latest models for Noahlink use.

Sorry for the slow response here. The admin of this forum for some reason doesn’t like to integrate the DIY section into the mainstream area, so unless people actually manually go to this DIY forum to see if there’s any new posts, they won’t see new posts on this DIY forum shown up when they click on “Latest posts” in the main area. That’s usually why it’s harder to get notification about new posts here because you’d have to go and look for it. And that’s why you tend to not get quick responses to your questions here.

1 Like

I’m not getting a good answer on the DIY forum about this: does it matter whether I use a NoahLink or Fitting Link device with the OPN 1?

1 Like

Here’s a link that discussed the differences between NoahLINK versus FittingLINK

I don’t have the NoahLink, I have the FittingLink, and the HiPro as well as the miniPro. Here’s a summary of the 4:

1. HiPro is the original wired interface device. You need to buy a set of compatible cable to connect between the HiPro and your hearing aids. The HiPro also has a connector that you plug into the USB port of your PC for connection to the PC. Firmware upgrade to the hearing aids (not to be confused with firmware upgrade to the HiPro itself) usually requires a wired connection to the hearing aids (to lower the risk of bricking your hearing aids due to a loss in power), so the wired connection of the HiPro is designed to support firmware upgrades with the hearing aids just fine.

2. The miniPro is the “unofficial” clone of the HiPro, and is usually more popular than the HiPro amongst users simply because it’s cheaper than the HiPro (the professional HCP usually use the HiPro while at-home users go for the miniPro for lower price). The miniPro has wired connections to the hearing aids (must be purchased separately depending on your hearing aids’ brand and model) and USB connection to the PC just like the HiPro. Therefore it can support firmware upgrades to the hearing aids just the same as the HiPro.

3. FittingLink is the wireless version of the interface sold by Oticon for Oticon hearing aids. I don’t really know if it will work for other brands of hearing aids or not. It has a USB dongle that is connected to the PC, but it has no wired connection to the hearing aids, and it communicates wirelessly between the hearing aids and the USB dongle. There is also a desk stand that can be connected to the PC and the USB dongle is inserted into the desk stand. It’s simply to get the USB dongle to be more within range with the hearing aids, because the HCP may sit behind a desk in front of the client and the USB dongle, if plugged directly in front of the client, is out of range from the hearing aids if the client is wearing the aids on themselves. Because of its wireless nature, it cannot be used for firmware upgrades to the hearing aids. It can only be used for programming. It’s popular because you don’t need the cumbersome connection to the hearing aids, so programming is more effortless.

4. The NoahLink is also a wireless interface. I don’t have it so my understanding of it is more limited. But I think it’s a Bluetooth device so there’s no USB dongle like the FittingLink has. It simply connects wirelessly to the PC via Bluetooth, and it also connects wirelessly to the hearing aids. One thing it is better than the FittingLink is that it is more universal and is compatible with a wide array of hearing aid brands, as opposed to the FittingLink which is an Oticon device and therefore may only support the Oticon brand hearing aids onlly. Like the FittingLink, the NoahLink cannot be used for firmware upgrades of the hearing aids because there’s no wired connection to the hearing aids. Like I said, I don’t own the NoahLink myself, so anything I say above about the NoahLink that’s not correct, please (anybody) feel free to correct me on.

If you want only 1 hardware interface that can do everything including firmware updates to the hearing aids, I’d recommend to go with the miniPro. That’s what most DIY’ers have. If you can afford a wireless solution on top of that then buy the NoahLink on top of it. Or just buy a NoahLink if you do have support of an audi who can do wired firmware upgrades to the hearing aids for you.

I got the FittingLink and the HiPro for free from an HCP in exchange for my help with some reviews, after I bought the miniPro for myself. Otherwise, if I had the money to spring for a wireless interface on top of the miniPro, I would have picked the NoahLink over the FittingLink because the NoahLink is more universally compatible with almost any brand of hearing aids while the FittingLink (I think) is only compatible with Oticon brand hearing aids.

Noah Link is Usb to Pc and wireless to all modern Hearing Aids with wireless capabilities.

In terms of what we use in-house, it’s 95% Noah link and 5% Hipro. Mainly for legacy devices and upgrades. If you’re home-brewing, the Noah link makes the most sense at the moment, especially as there’s no cables etc.

If you’re able to see an Audiologist from time to time, they’ll sort upgrades that don’t get done via the App.

I like the way you put that.
Thanks

Is this true for Widex also?

No,they have ProLink.

2 Likes

Sorry, except Widex who do things their own and more expensive way.

1 Like

My experience with hardware suggests that discontinued equipment rarely receive firmware upgrades, so isn’t it unlikely that the OPN 1 will be updated beyond 6.1?

I thought Widex already allowed user upgrades?

You’re probably correct. I’ve had the 6.1 update for the OPN 1 probably over 2 years by now and it has not been updated any further since. But 6.1 also seems very stable, so that’s also probably why there’s no further need for update.

BUT, you never know. They also use firmware update to add new functionalities to the hearing aids. For example, Speech Rescue was not available initially and was added via a firmware update. If Oticon has any other new functionality up their sleeves for the original OPN (unlikely), a new firmware update would be the route that they deliver it.

That’s what I thought I understood, was hoping different though. I wanted to go ahead and get the hardware for OPN’s and moments if they used the same hardware. I will be choosing one if the two in a couple of months. Another like check mark on OPN’s side.

To what? The programming device or are you talking about something else.

Maybe he’s talking about the Widex Remote Care?

No. The last time I tried Widex (the 440s?), I believe the user could upgrade the firmware of the hearing aids through the Widex app.

Hearing Aid Apps, all of them, with the exception of remote fitting which requires professional assistance in preparing new fitting changes in advance, only do remote control type functions. Things like volume control, graphic equalizer sliders, directional changes, switch programs, select custom program functions.

Heavy duty tasks like firmware updates that might brick your hearing aids? No, no App does that. At least not one that I know about.

Firmware updates for any device have the ability to “brick” it, but they’re usually applied by users (to computers, cameras, sprinkler timers, etc). My audiologist confirmed at the time that the firmware in the Widex hearing aids was user-updatable.