Ear Moulds vs Domes

Recently I’ve begun trying a pair of Phonak acrylic moulds that came with Lumity 90s I purchased.

Yes I do know moulds are custom made for each user, however these fit and I wanted to experience how it feels to wear these and experience sound quality. I reprogrammed my fitting with Phonak Target using the acoustic code to accept the ear moulds. These moulds have the receiver built in.

I have read that ear moulds fit snugger so provide better sound. For the last 5 years I’ve been shoving power domes deep into my ear canal, how much more snug can you get than power domes?

I’ve also read that anyone with loss of 30db or more in the low frequencies should consider ear moulds.

My fitting formula is Adaptive Phonak Digital Contrast.

So - BT music streaming sounds much better. All sounds are much sharper. There is an improvement in speech clarity.

Can someone explain the science as to why these moulds spound better than domes?

3 Likes

I’m not sure about those “exact molds” but I have tried molds several times. I possibly had fitting issues as both times one mold never stayed put. I always found myself pushing it back in. I definitely found the sound to be better but I always felt occluded. Not sure if I needed to give them more time but I went back to power does each time.

With domes we get some ‘effective venting’ due to the thin material and if there are any created vent holes. They are circular and no one has a circular ear canal. Fitting a dome allows low frequency energy to escape, if we don’t REM we don’t realise exactly how much. With REM we often can’t match the low frequency targets with a dome.

It’s no issue for normal to mild low frequency thresholds but once we are out of the range for risking occlusion (30-40dB) it’s technically a better option. We can control the acoustic seal and the venting for the hearing loss.

If you have a severe high frequency loss fit with a dome we can’t meet the power requirements without feedback so custom tips can be a preferred option in this instance also.

3 Likes

Is it possible that the hard plastic conducts sound to through the flesh to the bone to give better low frequency bone conduction ?

Your loss is above this level. I would think a smaller vent might work better for you. (see what the
Registered Providers say)

I had the same problem so the audio remade them with keeper lugs as shown in the photos. Problem solved and I find the mould with lugs MUCH easier to insert and remove.
Additional comment: I use a rental system for my aids (in New Zealand) and all the remakes etc have been at no additional cost to me.

Moulds will allow the software to be less aggressive with feedback control, and give you more headroom in the higher frequencies. They will also hold in more of the bass frequencies when streaming, as they can’t get out as easily.

Power domes we the worst for me.

As much as you want to push it deep inside ear canal. And it stay there forever. If you not gently pull it out bit by bit. You can accidentally detach it and dome stuck inside.

I learn how to insert it deepest as possible and learn how to pull the ear pinna so I can gently pull the receiver out from the deepest position.

Basically, Its the seal of your mold so the sound can’t escape except through the vent.

Vent also play the role in how you get the sound quality according to your ear characteristic. You either trust your Audiologist to do the ear examine for mold making process so they can decide which vent size you should use OR you have your preferred the vent size and tell them you like this vent size because it give you the best sound quality.

If ear mold not work. You send them back to fix it. Until you like ti. Which is costly.

For me, my hearing loss is so severs loss. I should use ear mold for the best result. But ear mold maker in my local shop is not proficiently enough. I can try send ear mold impression to the world class ear mold maker but its way too costly.

Oh did I mention it? for optimally you should re-mold every year? because ear canal shape is not consistent throughout yearly.

I use Single Vent Bass Dome and result is so excellent. I never look back to ear mold ever again unless I have access to world class skilled ear mold maker.

TL:DR you have to try everything. I try everything. Both mold, re-mold and ton of domes.

1 Like

@orgullodemexico I started with moulds and had trouble with them coming loose, so I tried power domes and they were not comfortable.
Then I discovered Oticon Grip Tips. These are soft silicone, shaped like an ear canal. They give me the benefits of moulds but they stay in place and are very comfortable.

I use slim tips in my Phonak RIC aids. They’re vented, but custom moulded and sit deep in the canal. I get no occlusion and get a much better high frequency response than domes. I hated the occlusion of power domes

1 Like

My problem with the molds I have tried is that the occlusion was too much, even with large vents. When I sing or play a brass instrument, I cannot hear the ensemble. Could this be from bone conduction?
These were acrylic mods. Would a silicone mold alleviate this problem?

Is the slim tip a phonak product?

As far as I know, yes. Although, I’ve heard talk in the UK that Starkey are contracted to make them. Not sure on that.

From the Phonak Target software, they can be fitted to RIC and thin tubes

1 Like

I’m wondering if Oticon makes a products similar to phonak slimtip.

1 Like

I use diy silicone molds. I have a small dome in front of the silicone to keep the silicone out of the receiver when they are being molded.

Oticon’s equivalent is called a ‘micromould’

3 Likes

Why didn’t you enlarge the hole to make them more vented?

I did enlarge it a lot: no effect.

Which diy product do you use?

Radians Custom Molded Earplugs, Orange