Ear Moulds vs Domes

Oh interesting.

You flush the receiver with these Radians Custom Molded Earplugs and let it set?

Does it stay attached to the receiver? Can I request a picture of your DIY? It is really interesting to see how it is doing.

Put a dome on the receiver. Mix the earplug material. pack the material in the back of the dome and wrap it around the receiver. Put the whole thing in you ear canal as deep as you’re comfortable with. Use your finger to pack the mold material into your ear canal and around the receiver. Let it all harden. Take it out of your ear. Trim if needed with scissors.

If you feel like you have too much occlusion you can cut a small groove in the mold for a vent.

Also if you have voids in your molds you can mix a little bit more material and fill in the voids. The sooner you do this the better chance it will bind to the mold.

The ones in the photo were made at different times and I used different types of domes on the left and right.

3 Likes

Here are

some older ones that have vent grooves.

And a photo of one in my ear.

Here’s the commercial version that I used for my first couple of efforts, I don’t know if this kit is still available,

1 Like

Here’s a thread from another user who makes his own ear molds:

1 Like

Looking at my NHS acrylic mould it has STARKEY stamped on it along with my serial number.

1 Like

Ear molds can improve the acoustic isolation between the speaker in your ear canal from the microphone above your ear, and therefore the gain in the frequencies around 2-3kHz, which are very important for speech can be turned up to what is needed for your loss. If the isolation is not really good, then there will be feedback, and either the aids or the audi must turn down the gain in this range.
(I’m in experimental physicist with 20 years experience with hearing aids.)

@franc210
I find all this a fine balance between:

1. Comfort
  2. Hearing what I need to hear
  3. Trying to avoid occlusion (venting)

Open domes are no good for my moderate/severe loss

Closed (2 holes) are better but high frequency gain is affected, and speech recognition impacted

Power domes give me unacceptable occlusion

Full moulds, to me, are not comfortable, bulky (to carry as spares) and although vented, I experience some occlusion

Vented Slimtips, and excellent programming, are currently my go to solution

Peter

I’m curious what factors did you use to choose the color? Are there differences in the materials between the different colors?

The Radians kit in orange is the only one I’m aware of that is available now.

I think this is the same stuff!

Radians - CEP002-T CEP001-T Tan Custom Molded Earplugs https://a.co/d/1wkV4JD

I think you’re right. I just ordered some of it.

1 Like

Switched to hear moulds (vented) last week from vented closed domes. Night and day in terms of comfort and gain…
Now I just need my Audi to adjust the program because bass tones are much stronger with the moulds…

2 Likes