Ear molds. Like 'em? Hate 'em? Pros? Cons? Problems? (Phonak Lumity)

I believe these settings can be adjusted in Target. I’m not sure offhand about the TV Connector specifically, but I know the ones for the Roger On can, and I think it will do everything you’re currently using the TV Connector to do.

Thanks.

The only control I see on the phone is the balance between surround and TV.

I can adjust the EQ on music, speech in loud noise, speech in car and so on, but not in the TV Connector app, unless there is a secret way that I don’t know about.

But if I can’t, it’s OK. I’ll learn to adjust.

You would have to talk to your audiologist about this change as it would be done in target, unless you do it yourself (DIY). Need a Noah link wireless and a link to the installer from someone in the DIY category.

WH

1 Like

Unlike the Roger programme, there’s no direct Gain/MPO for the TV Connector in Target. However, my guess is, it either uses MediaSpeech+mic or MediaMusic+mic. It may even switch between the two. MediaMusic+mic does have enhanced gains in the lows and mids. I’ll have a think on how to find out what’s happening.

This has been quite a journey, and it certainly appears that you’ve worked out a workable solution, and moments where you’re stuck “in the wrong mode” are minimalised, and quickly switched. It’s great that the relatively inexpensive TV Connector has been the product. I did suspect that the very slight latency would have been a deal breaker, but it isn’t.
Peter

3 Likes

Once again, “Thank You” to all who have contributed your time and knowledge to help me achieve a lengthening of my career. You all are the best !!!

PeteH, There isn’t enough latency to be a problem.

There was a big delay using plain-old vanilla Bluetooth, but not with the TVConnector, which I would assume uses some Phonak proprietary protocol.

A drummer 6 feet behind the band is a little over 5 milliseconds away, and I don’t think the Phonak latency is that much. Our speakers are farther apart than that. Add room acoustics, and there is a bit of a mush factor.

Reading some other helpful responses, I have another question.

What is Target? Is it an app where I can get into the nuts and bolts of the audiologist only controls?

2 Likes

Target is the software audis use to adjust Phonak hearing aids. The software is avaible in the DIY area of this forum. Target runs on Windows. You will also need the Noahlink wireless device to connect your hearing aids to Target. It is usually avaible on Ebay for $150 to $200 area. I bought mine on Amazon but they don’t always have it.

3 Likes

Thanks. Will Target give me the same power as my audi?

(I suppose that could be dangerous.)

1 Like

Yes, You can do everything they can do. My problem is knowing what to do! It’s a learning process.

2 Likes

Piping in…
What’s kept me from doing fyi setup is my lack of computer knowledge.

Along the way I’ve found that Target requires a PC; my iMac isn’t supported. Other users who have more skill could use their iMac. I’m concerned that I would sc-ew up.

DaveL

Your iMac is Intel-based.
Just install Parallels and run the Target app.

1 Like

As far a the program goes, you always save the last iteration, so if you think you screwed up, you just go back to the previous version. In real life, adjustments is a series of changes, some work, many don’t, that is the learning process. Just don’t have unrealistic expectations and you will be fine. When you do DIY, you have four or five or more audi visits in one afternoon, and more the next day until you are satisfied that it is as good as it is likely to get.

2 Likes

Spending $150 or more for the Noahlink plus the concern that in my not being trained as an audiologist, I might damage my hearing, makes me just a bit timid.

On the other hand, who could tell better about how things sound than the end user?

And with it and Target, I could try out all the “speech in the car” and other programs.

Too bad it won’t work just with Bluetooth, instead of Noahlink, that way I could try it out to see if I like it without spending money. (It’s the slow gigging season and I’m having some dental work done)

I do have Windows, so DaveL’s problem doesn’t apply. I also have Android tablet and phone. At one time I had Macs, but the software I needed for my work dictated a switch to Windows.

So I’ll think about Target/Noahlink.

Raylock1, I couldn’t find the DIY section. Could you provide a link. I think I got into this forum through a side door. It doesn’t seem to act like the other forums that I participate in.

Thanks again to all for the help.

1 Like

Here you go.

4 Likes

I’d think that if you are making little changes you aren’t at great risk of damaging your hearing. And you’d want to only be making little changes like tuning an engine. Big changes leave you broken down sometimes and not knowing what went wrong. You’ll know when you get close, you know what is too loud. Your call though.

WH

2 Likes

All I’m suggesting you do here is screenshot the settings from the Music program and copy them into the Roger program or whatever media streaming program the TV Connector uses, so that what you hear while performing no longer emphasizes speech frequencies at the expense of everything else. I don’t think you can hurt yourself doing that. Though of course you’ll have the option of doing more if you want.

4 Likes

Thanks again for all the helpful suggestions.

I’ve got the weekend off, the first one all year. Then the gigging season slowly starts up again. (September is always the slowest month of the year for us.)

I’ll play a few gigs, and evaluate whether I’ll invest the money on something that might or might not be able to make the adjustment to the TV Connector sound.

The gigs for the next 3 weekends are in familiar venues, ones we play almost every month, so it’ll be a good evaluation.

1 Like
1 Like

I have used the myPhonak app a lot

If I use a saved program for hours my HA rechargeable batteries die quickly

If I manually switch to a saved program It stays in the base program until I switch it out myself

If auto set 4 was based on “speech in car” it stays in that program

So I no longer have smart hearing aids

It bugs me.

DaveL

“sometimes you get the bear. Sometimes the bear gets you”

Soo St Marie humour

Yes, I can do my own hearing tests in the software (called Audiogram Direct). It’s all pretty safe to be honest. However, I definitely made more steps backwards, than forwards, in the early days. I’m now at a place where I’m happy with all the programme options (switching, Removing some noise reduction settings, optimising WhistleBlock and additional programmes etc). I have 3 pairs of HAs, and all are set the same. As far as the main programming is concerned, I’m as near as I’m likely to get, and certainly hear far far better than I did when I was first fitted with (UK NHS) Phonak Marvels. Their test and fitting was frankly “basic” at best, they also either told lies, I just hadn’t done any research on the aids they were giving out.

I’m quite confident self programming now, but programming for someone else terrifies me. As you say, I can hear my own alterations, and I can’t hear theirs. It is a long process though. I can get a great fit for talking at home, and the TV, but when I visit a bar, it’s no good at all.
Peter