Does Phonak AutoSense OS 3.0 work for you?

Ah, thanks for the info.

When you have a severe to profound hearing loss you want to trial an Ultra power HA, or possibly a Super power HA. The Marvel 90, 70, etc. are not in the category of the Ultra Power aids nor the Super power aids. Maybe you want to trail the Naida SP when it comes out February and compare it to the Oticon Xceed UP.

Bottom line - do your homework before you trial a ā€œnewā€ hearing aid and get as big as a battery as you can. No gain - more pain.

There is a Naida Marvel SP.

I canā€™t handle a super power aid. Due to my sensitivity to loud sounds, a regular aid is too loud if programmed to my prescriptive loss. Sound Recover is about my only hope. My low frequency hearing is about normal.

After making some changes to how AS3 works, I wore my aids to Wal Mart again to see how they were doing. I finally removed the aids and it was like removing ear plugs from my ears. I do have vented molds. Looks like AS3 still is not doing it for me. I might go back to the VA soon and give them another crack at it. I will store my current setup, so it couldnā€™t hurt anything if they mess them up.

I have never liked Autosense. It always seemed to be doing the exact opposite of what I thought it should. After watching a Phonak presentation on it, I think judged it too quickly. Phonak describes Autosense as a sound classification system. Autosense processes the sounds around the HA wearer and makes decisions on what kind of sound it is, and which program it should be in to provide the best hearing experience. Phonak says this is to relieve the wearer from having to constantly change programs with changing sound environments. It blends different programs together in order for the wearer not to experience sudden changes in what they hear. You arenā€™t supposed to know when Autosense is making program adjustments. The programs it choses between are the ones on the left when looking at the screen in Target. You can make adjustments in these programs to tailor how they work to your individual needs. You can determine how quickly Autosense makes those changes, and also at what sound levels they are made. What you canā€™t change is how it makes its classification decisions, or how it blends different programs together. It might be hard to believe, but Phonak has done a lot of research and testing, trying to make Autosense work correctly in every situation. For those of us who self program, this opens up a lot of possibilities to make our aids work better for us. And for those who donā€™t self program, you can get your Audiologist to make changes for you. I am going to look at Autosense differently from now on. I am also going to see if there is room for improvement in how those programs work. Instead of fighting against Autosense, I am going to try to work with it.

6 Likes

How did you learn what you are saying?
From your audiologist? Or from Target software?
If there is a document or article describing that, could you post a link, please?

How do you mean?
I only find that feature for ā€˜loud noiseā€™ and thereā€™s also only speed of switching. But that doesnā€™t impact recognition of other environments, only if the transition between programs will be slow or instant (when itā€™s instant people complain about hearing it, while I complain when itā€™s slow, so mine are at fastest).

Iā€™d say, mostly yes.
Because itā€™s full of hint buttons and then you google if some term isnā€™t clear, then you get results from audiology.com, this forum :joy: or manufacturer published articles. Or you just ask here directly.

And you learn item by item.
Then you compare two sw and see how itā€™s all the same, just maybe different names.

And then you wonder why so many fittters whine how itā€™s hard to fit many manufacturers, have no clue what theyā€™re doing, and conclude that theyā€™re not worth your time and money, that you donā€™t want a seller but knowledgeable professional with proper equipment.

And you find one and you cooperate with them, while doing some tweaking on your own, like changing the speed of transition, more or less noise cancelling and so on. And you spare time for both sides. I always keep my fitter in the loop about what Iā€™ve changed and he always download latest setup from my HAs first.

1 Like

Just make sure you download and save your current setup before playing around. That way if you make a mistake you can just upload the original settings to the HAā€™s and start again.

Iā€™m only just getting started on DIY programming, but Iā€™ve already learnt so much by lurking in these forums reading posts and asking questions. Lots of experience on this forum.

Hi, aussie

I am educating myself at the moment in preparation of accompanying my wife to an audiologist, once we get Covid under control here.
I would like to be in a position where any audiologist or fitter would find it difficult to convince me that my choice is wrong.

I would not mind looking at Target, and I have put a request on DIY for link. Hope somebody will respond.
If you are in Melbourne, where do I find the most skilled Phonak Marvel fitter?

Forums are great.
It is just a pity that not many people come back to say how they managed to solve their problem.

There are a few of us Aussies on here, not many though I donā€™t think.

You never stop learning, Iā€™ve only been on this forum for a couple of months, but have been wearing HAā€™s for about 7 years now. I learn something new almost every day, and a lot of the time from just reading other posts on this forum.

Definitely go and see an Audi when you can, not making assumptions but you mentioned in another thread that you were retired? You might qualify for Hearing Services Program which will supply a fully subsidised set of HAā€™s for you. If you want a higher level then you pay the difference. I recently got a pair of Audeo Marvel M30ā€™s the out of pocket for me was about $1100. I was going to go top of the range, but I donā€™t think I would have seen the value.

You should be able to trial any pair of HAā€™s from your Audi, Iā€™ve heard stories about some pushing ā€œtop of the rangeā€ HAā€™s or a particular brand, but remember its up to you. If you are not comfortable, walk away and go somewhere else.

@Blacky mentioned the Roger Select iN being refundable as mentioned by someone in Australia. That was me, I qualify for a program called Job Access, this is due to the select iN being of benefit to my work, by letting me hear better in meetings etc. So if I buy it, then the Govt. will reimburse me.

Looks like Dan has eased the restrictions a bit for you in Victoria, however I think medical and hearing appointments are classified as essential anyway therefore should be able to go whenever you need to.

Iā€™d certainly get an audiogram and speech recognition test done, if you are eligible for the Hearing Services Program, these and all follow ups will be free under the program.

I think I sent you a PM earlier with a link to the latest version of Target. If not, let me know and Iā€™ll send you a link for the download.

I self program and also pay attention to the pros on this forum.

In fine tuning find program manager. There you can turn AutoSense on and off if you want.

1 Like

You can select AutoSense to program ā€˜-ā€˜ instead of ā€˜Aā€™ (Automatic) so itā€™s sort of turned off. You canā€™t physically turn it off tho.

When you do turn it off (disable) go take a look at devices. You will see that it is not there.
Then go and turn the AutoSense back on (enable) and check in devices. AutoSense will be there again in your devices button controls. Call it it what you think best but you can disable or turn off AutoSense if desired.

1 Like

I went through a phase where I didnā€™t want to use Autosense at all. Phonak has it where Autosense is what the aids power up in. But, you can change that, and I made it program number 4. I have since changed it back to 1. When I stream with the TV Connector, I turn Autosense off as well as the HA microphones. Helps me concentrate.

Um, I was referring to the part of your post Iā€™ve quoted, this

So how do you adjust autosenseā€™s sensitivity?
I found that only for loud program but no others.

Thank you Shelldrake.

We are not in a hurry. Not catching Covid is more important. And I still want to learn more before we go.
We are age pensioners so we will be eligible. I think the subsidy is $1,600 per person.
I am not sure what would happen if we go and try something, and then say no, thanks, and walk away, whether the time spent with that audiologist will be subtracted from the subsidy, and at the following audiologist we will have less. I will have to find out somehow.
Thanks for the PM. I havenā€™t downloaded the sw yet.
The forum is very good. I got several PMā€™s with links.

It shouldnā€™t be subtracted from anything. My understanding of the Hearing Services Program is that all audiologist visits, audiograms etc., are covered by the voucher. I was a private patient before I qualified for the program and I had to pay for these. After I got my voucher and gave it to my Audiologist, I havenā€™t paid a cent. You can ā€œtransferā€ your voucher to another Audiologist by visiting them and asking them to transfer it over, you sign a form to do this.

You are correct, my subsidy was just over $1500, and I paid about $1100 out of pocket for my pair. Iā€™m happy with them for now, and as I have the equipment to self program and learn, that will keep me happy as well.

If your Audi doesnā€™t like giving you a trial, then walk away and find someone new. Its your money and your hearing, you need to find what works for you, not what device is the easiest to sell you.

Thank you for explaining the subsidy scheme.
We will start doing something when the Covid situation settles down a bit in Victoria.
Looking for ā€œgoodā€ audiologist will be difficult. You only find out when you start dealing with them. Asking for references is problematic.
I wonder how many clinics or individual audiologists have the RealEar measument set up, whether it is common or rare.