DIY If I can do it so can you

I didn’t mean that he was crazy. It was a joke about name confusion. At least one newbie went out and bought a NOAHlink on EBay because of said name confusion. He bought this;
c3

What he really wanted to buy was this;

Congratulations, glad self programming is working out for you.
I too think about all the members needing a fitter to do something with their aids and having a tuff time. Us DIY folks are doing ok.

1 Like

Glad it worked for you. I have tried what I think is same feature (Oticon’s In Situ Audiometry) and the result for me was not as good as the settings that match my audiogram. Tried it for my wife with a similar result. Our original settings were better.

I use the Audiogram Direct as a relative indicator rather than cast in stone. If I compare a current reading with one from the past, and see a change, that indicates that some programing changes may in order.

What really counts is making the changes and then listening to the Phonak media files. In my case the programming changes were validated by listening to the media files.

The biggest problem I had was remembering how the Phonak Target software worked. :stuck_out_tongue:

That method makes a lot of sense. Fortunately for me (and her) our loss has been stable. Another remedy is to make a Costco Hearing test appointment and demand a copy of the audiogram! But with today’s stay at home/social-distancing rules your comparison seems to be a better solution.

@dacuttler I too have found Phonaks Audiogram Direct to be better than tests from professional fitters. I suspect Phonak may have an edge on this technology but that is just a guess. Other members have also had good results using Audiogram Direct.

I find AudiogramDirect to change depending on which dome I am using. The more open the dome, the more low frequency loss I have and the worse my loss is.

That makes since to me too.
But, even with different acoustics you end up with a better fit for speech understanding. The prescription bends as needed for the acoustics you use. At least that is how I see it but I am still learning.

I am using custom ear molds with 2.5mm to 3mm vents, and I am ok with lower frequencies, but it’s the higher frequencies that have been slowly getting worse, which is not unusual for someone in their 80s.

One of the most valuable features of the target software is being able to play different components of speech from the media files, making program changes on the fly, and hear in real time if it helped.

When I started down this path last year, one of the first things I did was to make a trip to Best Buy for some decent speakers for my computer so I could play the media files. Laptop internal speakers just don’t get the job done for testing your hearing.

2 Likes

I was pleasantly surprised and encouraged to read your post… I had the same revelations some 10-15 years ago and set out accomplishing the same goals. Using a serial port HIPro and Connexx software I programmed my Seimans Artis aids. Now it seems I am going to have to relearn almost everything, as I am suffering debilitating tinnitus. I was in sticker shock at the audiologist when I priced new tinnitus masking featured aids. So… ended up with used Opticon Alta 2 ProT miniRITE aids that I understand have that feature. (they are on the way and I have endlessly read everything I could find) Now… have to find what I need to program them. I did find Genie 2 software but need to explore the BTE programmer use and cost. I do find a slowdown in my old brain that is disconcerting but have had strong technical background that may save the day., besides, I am told “if you dont use it…”. Thanks for your posting !

P.S. anyone with suggestions and experience with my new path feel free, I would be grateful.

Are you talking about Oticon hearing aids?
There should be a cable fitting chart in Genie 2. Find your aids in that chart. If your aids are totally wireless you might need the Noahlink Wireless programmer.
I have a serial HiPro too. It has worked great for many years. Recently I bought a Noahlink Wireless, it is the way of the future I believe.

This attachment might help you.

Oops, my old brain is showing :slight_smile: Well, I guess I need to get price shopping. Someone had said I need another piece of hardware in addition to a Noah. Do you have any idea what they are talking about? (and thanks for the info)

Did you look at the attachment? It is detailed and is a good source for your new aids.
Don’t confuse Noah and the Noahlink Wireless. You do not need Noah.

The Oticon FittingLink should do it no problem for wireless programming.

Yes, the attachment above shows that it will.
Might be a bunch cheaper to get your hands on too.

Maybe you should use a wired programming device because wireless hearing aids in this platform use older wireless technology. You would have to use either older/almost obsolete devices (NOAHlink / nEARcom), or for your newer wireless hearing aid in this platform the (proprietary, but still older FittingLINK).

Note that Noahlink Wireless using Bluetooth Low Energy/BLE is a later technology and will not work for these hearing aids.

The reason I refer to Oticon’s FittingLink as older is because they now have Oticon’s proprietary FittinkLINK 3.0. I am not sure if FittinkLINK 3.0 is backwards compatible to be able to work with Alta2?

No the FittingLINK 3 won’t work, needs the FittingLINK 2
for Alta Pro and earlier, may need the earlier version of Genie as well.

Oh, good find!

But I haven’t seen the older Oticon Proprietary FittingLINK or FittingLINK2 for sale on EBay or anywhere else? It might be hard to get. And even if you are able to get it you will forever be restricted from programming anything but old Oticon hearing aids.

The other wireless setup (NOAHlink plus nEARcom) is ridiculous. Please don’t use that.
c2

So that leaves the USB mini Pro or the USB Hi Pro together with Standard CS44 cables and FlexConnects. Plus, you can use it again in the future to program many other hearing aids.

The same software download contains the newer Genie 2 and the older Genie. Yes, you need to use the older Genie, not Genie 2.

Yes it’s seems the op would be better off with the USB/mini HiPro and cables in this case, would also be able to do the firmware updates as well.