Custom 3D printed hearing aid parts

I’m going to try to buy some casing for a non working aid that I could test paint and stuff to see if they could work so maybe I’ll be able to get somewhere

@jonat @1Bluejay @Um_bongo @kcsummerkc @LoubyLou update! So I’ll be able to take the physical parts and get them scanned at my unis engineering lab along with getting them printed!

3 Likes

That’s so cool! Show us the results when you get a chance!

Definitely will! I’ll have to play around with sanding and stuff but that should be easy.

Yeah that’s awesome, definitely let everyone know how it pans out, what colours are offered?

I believe black,grey and white but I’m certin they have other colors.

Since I’ll be getting them scanned and printed I’m going to attempt to make a tamperproof door since I have of course the regular door and the 312 tamperproof one which the only difference is the angle at the top where the pin goes in. I was able to easily just cut the plastic where the little hole for the opener goes and I’m imagining it would just be like a cut,copy paste situation on the computer.

Sadly the final verdict is that the parts a simply just too small to replicate easily with 3D printing.

Oh that’s a bummer, I was hoping something would come of this, oh well back to the drawing board!

Yeah the shell is just too thin and complicated to get a good scan of it and it would have to all be made manually but thats also challenging

Thank you for the update mermaid! I wondered as just from seeing my own hearing aids repaired over the years how hard/easy scanning and replicating some of those tiny clips or areas with 3D printing would be? I have a few friends who have 3D printers and they usually avoid anything with super fine/small details for that reason, I guess it’s also dependant on the 3D printers themselves as well?

1 Like

I truly wish it could have been printed but I can understand why not, I would try painting but I dont want to mess up my warranty.

I’m hoping if I use a spray paint the color will be more glossy unless I use a metallic one. I could try nail polish but that may be weird.

What material will you have these cast in? Does that impact the variety of colors? I can’t wait to see the result.

Hi to everyone who are interested in this issue of printing on hearing aids, I am a hearing aid technician for many years, I have worked for large companies like Siemens, Widex and Oticon, and I always had the idea of ​​giving hearing aids another face, such as ite, itc, cic and bte. I tried it many years ago in the 90s when there were only the basic colors, today black, gray and silver are already on sale, but in my idea it was both for children and adults to create a mixture of colors with a special 3D printer for hearing aids but it is much easier with the traditional method that was used before 3D printers existed. I saw comments of being able to do it like they do with polishing nails by painting and creating new colors and designs and it can also be done with hearing aids.
In fact, I made for some clients the logo of their favorite baseball team and for children I printed their favorite comic book character. If someone are interesting in work with this excellent idea, please let me know and can take this to the next level.

4 Likes

That’s super cool! Love to talk about how you create those!

1 Like

What method did you find worked the best? I think nail polish would definitely be more easily removed and something like a light coat of spray paint would be more permanent, the only issue I have with spray paint is would it have enough to stick to on the plastic/how would different textures like metallic vs glossy paint work.

The best and easy method is working with UV nail polish, but before you have to sand the shell and then you can apply your favorite color or logo. Then you have to apply a coat of curing lacquer special for hearing aid shell, to avoid allergies and bacteria.

2 Likes

2 Likes

I use nail polish black glitter