Custom 3D printed hearing aid parts

That looks amazing!! That’s nail polish?!? It looks so professional!

Yes! That’s UV nail polish. The way I did is safety to the ears.

Would you be able to explain the process/steps? Would this method also work for BTE hearing aids? @ecosound

Sure, the process for both ITE’s and BTE 's are the same process, so first step is:
1- sand it with a micro grit sandpaper 1000 or 1200
2- clean all parts or shell with alcohol.
3- use your favorite nail polish color and dry with uv lamp, or place your favorite sticker like logo or any caracter .If you are doing on ite’s you have to sand it a little more than bte’s.
4- once the nail polish is dry, then apply one coat of lacquer special for hearing aids shells. You can find it in dreve or egger companies. Remember if you paint with nail polish you have to dry it with uv lamp you can use those uv lamps for nal polish and do the same process with the lacquer.
That’s it!! If you have any questions about this process I’m here to help you.

Specifically what kind of lacquer would be recommended? Along with are there any steps for applying the nail polish as to allow it to be opaque/not see the shell color and to make sure it’s not streaky? Sorry I have never really dealt with nail polish which seems to be quite hard to get a good solid coat. I’m assuming if you have lighter colored shells such as a beige or silver kind that will be easier to blend in with a white, tan or lighter colors then say a brown or black shell,correct? @ecosound

Do you mean to make the shell starting from the ear impression?

Mine are BTEs so I would take the plastic outside of the hearing aid off. @ecosound all the plastic outer shell comes off like so

1 Like

I don’t have even a rudimentary concept of 3D printing but that said - if you can print parts why not an entire hearing aid. I’m sure there’s a logical reason - I just had to ask anyway. Sorry, I’m not up to the times since I retired.

1 Like

Mindblowing stuff to me Mermaid88 I’m glad you are sharp and on top of all this.

1 Like

I find design to be very cool, I’m sure there are ways to easily make hearing aids by 3D printing but just not in a way to my understanding that could be done by an average consumer. @kcsummerkc

2 Likes