Costco Kirkland Signature 9.0 (Product Information)

Thanks, Raudrive!
I admire your precision in summing up my verbosity in less than two full lines! LOL! :joy:

2 Likes

This link: Kirkland Signature (Costco) 9.0 Hearing Aid | Product Info, Reviews, Prices, and Videos
claims: 9 automatic programs, 3 manual programs

However that is vague. What are these programs? Any specifics about each program?
Where is this described in any literature?

My fitter at Cosco mentioned zilch about any manual programs beyond automatic (actually she did not mention that either), and I have my first follow up in two weeks. Someone mentioned here that the KS9s should allow up to three manual programs, and I assume if the fitter added the three I selected they should show up in my Android app (Easy Line Remote) in the Programs drop-down list.

Does anyone know where any Costco literature describes these programs? I would like to go back knowing what to ask for, and even show the fitter the literature (when she looks at me with that ‘what are you talking about face’), otherwise I will probably will walk out of there without the ability to manually adjust my hearing aides to perform in very loud restaurants, the car, or listening to live music. Which is what I had asked for in my first visit.

Hi gruuvinrob,

You are probably not going to find a lot of detail in the costco literature.

The KS9 is basically a slightly defeatured phonak Marvel - so you are better off looking at the info on the Phonak website - www.phonakpro.com

There is actually only one automatic program, but it switches into a number of programs, which are also available as a dedicated manual program. On the KS9 I believe 3 are the limit for manual programs, but the automatic program will put it into any one of (depending on the situation):

Calm situation
Comfort in noise
Speech in noise
Speech in loud noise
Speech in car
Comfort in Echo
Music
Streamed Music
Streamed Speech

Graham

Glucas quote. “The KS9 is basically a slightly defeatured phonak Marvel - so you are better off looking at the info on the Phonak website - www.phonakpro.com ”.

Glucas , Do you know what the ‘defeatured features are?

It does not have a tinnitus masking program.

It does not connect at all to any of the Phonak Roger Pen or other Roger Devices such as the table mic.

It is not rechargeable. It comes with a 312 battery only.

It has a device pairing limitation in that you will need to disconnect and re-pair to an original device every time, when you switch devices, such as from your mobile to a laptop. The Phonak Marvel on the other hand has been supplied with a software update to enable seamless transition between devices.

Remote programming of the device is not possible.

The App is very basic. I believe the equivalent Phonak app has more functionality.

1 Like

Thanks, Graham, for the list of programs.
To add to the ‘defeatured’ list, the KS9 also does not have telecoil reception for loop systems.

Also, I think remote programming IS possible with a NoahLink Wireless device and a copy of Phonak Target software (KS9 is not vendor ‘locked’, but open for programming).

Can anyone confirm if adding/removing the manual programs that Graham listed is something that can be done via a Do-It-Yourself using NoahLink Wireless and Phonak Target software?

Also, can anyone confirm that their Kirkland branded KS9 HAs have been programmed with up to three manually selectable programs in addition to the ‘Automatic’ program?

I can already hear the Costco employee telling me that “just because the Phonak Marvel has a feature to manually select up to three programs, that does not mean that Cosco supports that feature with the KS9s”

Hi Gruuvinrob,

Yes. It is not locked and you can definitely add programs with the Noah wireless link. I know this because I bought one and did it - as I self program.

Also - when I was talking about remote programming - I meant the type where an audiologist can hook up from their office. As far as I know that isn’t possible and it was not something Costco offered to do.

I am not sure of the limit on the number of programs though. I will have to hook it up and check.

Graham

Thanks for confirming that. So, those Phonak programs you listed were all options you could add to your KS9s? I already ordered the Noahlink and setup Target in a Window VM, so I’m ready to go! It would be awesome if we could use the Phonak phone app instead of just the Easy Line Remote app.

and WOW about the audiologist doing remote programming; I guess that Phonak feature requires a patient phone app that securely connects with a cloud service the audiologist also securely connects with. Don’t want anyone to hack that and get access to our ears!

1 Like

As you’ll see, the nine programs are all automatically switched to/from by the Autosense software depending on ambient conditions (“Autosense” is Phonak Marvel terminology; I forget what the KS9 terminology is, but the function is the same.) Up to three selected from these nine or a directional-mic program can be programmed by the fitter to be user switchable via earpiece buttons.

That has not been my experience. When I connect with my laptop’s menubar to standard bluetooth, the program in my KS9s shifts to “Bluetooth Streaming” during the time I am playing audio. When I stop the audio on my laptop, the program in my KS9s shifts back by itself to “Automatic.” And vice versa.
I don’t have to disconnect or re-pair anything.
This also works that way with the TV Connector when I ask my Alexa to turn on or off the TV.
I can’t speak to mobile because I don’t like connecting my HAs to my cell phone since I have an app I like on my phone that automatically turns my phone speaker on, and the conversations sound normal on both ends.

Yes, in addition to Automatic, my KS9s have Noise, Music and Quiet programs available for my selection, just different names for the Phonak programs.

My HAs have tha remote adjustment capability, but my Audi does not even try to get the software setup to do that. She just says’oh, it doesn’t have much capability that can be used’. So … I drive the 2 hrs to her office. She just does not go the extra mile for me and I’m guessing for. My of her patients. :cry:

I might not have all the relevant info here, but with the two hours my take is: that’s inexcusable.

Telecoil recently became an option for the KS9.

Are you sure about this? Because telecoil is a feature that has to be physically built in, and the concensus has been that the KS9 doesn’t have telecoil. If what you say is true, then it IS built in but was previously disabled with software, but is now able to be enabled for those that depend on loop systems. Are you in the UK?

Also, if this is true, it is likely that the other lacking features are also built in but just disabled, like the RogerDirect, tinnitus therapy, etc… I wonder what else can be enabled with the Target software? Or if the Marvel 90 phone app can recognize these.

As sure as I can be. If you look at information on the app, it’s been updated and the main (only?) change is that it now supports the t-coil model. My take is that it is a separate model, likely slightly larger than the original KS9. Yes, here’s a link from Rasmus Braun responding t my question: Costco Kirkland Signature 9.0 (Product Information)

1 Like

Hi NateS,

The problem does not occur when you transition between one device and/or your TV connector, but when you switch between 2 bluetooth devices. You have to switch off your aids, forget the original device and then re-pair. There is a long thread about this under the Phonak Marvel section and a lot of arguments! It was only when Phonak released a fix was this resolved to a certain extent. However, the problem still exists with the KS9, but those who don’t switch between 2 bluetooth devices will probably be happily unaware of it!

I was just at Costco a week ago and offered the choice between a KS9 without the telecoil and a KS9 model with a telecoil. The telecoil model is slightly larger and uses a 13 battery.

2 Likes

That’s great news if it uses a 13 battery. That was not Ramus Braun’s impression.