Costco Kirkland Signature 9.0 (Product Information)

Thank you very much for reminding. me of that, yoga.

1. I know how to raise and lower the volume from the hearing aids, and how to mute, but maybe you can refresh my memory as to how you cycle through the programs from the hearing aids? And when you say you have Bluetooth off, do you mean a) just unpaired from the hearing aids, or b) disconnected from the phone, or c) actually turned off on the phone? I need Bluetooth turned on on the phone in order to use my Alexa/Roav Visa system in the car.

2. And if I have Bluetooth off on my phone’s Remote app, will my TV streamer still come on automatically when I turn the TV on as it does now? I understand that the TV streamer uses AirStream, but supposedly tracks the same frequency as Bluetooth so I am uncertain. (That, at least I can just test and see what happens.)

Thanks for that suggestion, cleveto. I do have my phone’s DND setting set up not to ring during our regular sleeping hours and to not ring but be sent to voicemail if not in my directory, but I didn’t think that that actually turned off the ringer and my “so and so calling” announcement app for starred callers, but I better check that out.

You could uninstall the program and see if the volume still changes.

1 Like

Thanks for this suggstion. I may try that if all else fails.

Nate,

I am not sure if the buttons automatically change programs or I had to request it but it has the little melody in the automatic program… Then if I push top button for 2 seconds it will make one beep and it is on the second program that reduces noise. You then can still use the volume buttons in normal way… If I again hold top button two seconds it changes to two beeps and turns to the second program I have. And finally holding top button another two seconds returns it to the original automatic program… It is just a matter of how long you hold the button that determines if it changes the program or the volume within the program … but it works well.

I don’t use airstream so don’t know about that… I use the hearing aids in old fashion way to watch tv as I don’t think I have a smart tv… But there is a little issue where if I do use bluetooth for a call and sit near my laptop the laptop will then not work right on internet as the wifi signal is the same mhz as the Bluetooth frequency I think 2.4… it took me a while to connect that my internet on laptop won’t work if I’m on Bluetooth with hearing aids so I try to do that in another room… Or I use a plugin mic to the iphone that is a very soft earbud that works over hearing aid and avoid Bluetooth if I am on computer simultaneously.

1 Like

Thank you for that info!

I had a 60-minute video conference via my laptop for internet video connection while using my iphone/KS9s for audio yesterday. All went well.

Listeningout … I think it’s because I have an older computer because on newer ones the router can be set at 5GHz and that won’t conflict with the Bluetooth… But the older ones have same frequency so WIFI conflicts with BlueTooth… Hoping to get a newer laptop so both can be used without conflict.

Thank you for this validation of some of what I have experienced. My music program was going off from simplistic melodies from TV and blaring, I finally got my fitter to turn it down. It was confusing. And I thought as well that an automatic music program was far fetched as the trigger is very narrow. My opinion for what it is worth is that the automatic program is fine and useful, but the Music program is better suited as a manual program. I have not had the music program ever go off on the music I love, Dire Straits, Mark Knofler, Gary Moore, etc. But will go off on piano and other classical pieces, even the simple 30 second melody played for the last Jeopardy question. But not Tunnel of Love, Once upon a time in the West, Where do you think you’re going, You and your friend, and on and on, beautiful guitar band music. Fortunately I mostly listen to this form of music by streaming as it really puts the sound between your ears anyway. But in my opinion a miss step by the program writers at this point.

RDB

1 Like

Yes. This is my experience of the Phonak music program. As you have pointed out, it is adjustable, which is necessary as what happens in one of previous versions of Phonak, the Venture, that once the aid detects music in the automatic program, it will switch to it. It was not actually possible to cancel that automatic selection. Therefore the Music program itself must be comfortable as it will cause aggravation when the automatic program switches to it!

1 Like

Thank you for that validation from your experience. I see that your hearing loss is almost as bad as mine, and believe there could be a logarithmic connection between this over the top increase in volume of the Music program. My fitter, I do not believe, has had this experience with a previous client and suggested I get used to it. I had to let her know that I would return them if we could not make the adjustment needed, we then had success in turning it down. Due to my difficulties she had me meet with her and her Phonak contact person who works with Costco fitters in the area. I thought great, for both of us, but found while she had a better understanding was lacking in credibility after our conversations, as there were several points of the operation of Mute, and the TV connector, that she was point blank wrong about. So I actually like my fitter much better as at least has admitted what she doesn’t know, and is now listening. These new HA’s have many more points of operation than is explained in any publications, and are user learned, and shared.

RDB

1 Like

No worries. Yes, I think one can only draw sober conclusions from your experience, which tallies with my experience. That is, that fitters are human and unfortunately there is a lot of devil in the detail with hearing aids. One thing wrong, and it can ruin your whole experience and the inconvenience of taking it back and looking for another model is something that one can do without.

There are no easy answers. Coming on forums like this obviously helps. I have resorted to self programming, but the disadvantage of this is that there is no REM and I don’t really know enough to be confident I have achieved the best fit - although it does have the advantage that I can learn more about the features of the aids. I would say, besides that, that getting a tip of an experienced fitter is probably a good idea.

Yes, it does help, and the value of forums to me. I would have gone to a different Costco first, but had to let her know I wasn’t accepting this malfunction, as terrific as these HA’s are. I first complained about the Music, and also about the fact that the KS9 can only be turned off by opening the battery door, and that I liked to turn them off when doing loud things, she did respond with the switching on of the long lower hold to Mute, that was great. I then discovered that you can also Mute while streaming and cut out all surround sound, this is a huge positive. Due to my loss I must use the cShell mold earpiece, so when on Mute it really is muted as ambient sounds cannot be heard due to the earpiece, a good thing. With this feature I can stream music from my phone, adjust the volume, then lastly Mute, now in my shop I can run loud equipment like a 4" belt grinder, etc. and not hear it. Or in the house I can listen to my computer, music or verbage and Mute, while the TV is on with something the wife likes, and it is silenced. Cool. I shared this with my fitter, and she acknowledged that she did not know this.

RDB

1 Like

I don’t know for sure, but I’d be surprised if the KS9 couldn’t be set up to have a long press on a button act as a mute button. The Marvels for sure have that option, although it is not the default. @Raudrive Are your wife’s set up that way?

Yes, a long press on the lower button to Mute the KS9, and unmute as well, although a short press on either high or low will unmute, but will raise or lower the volume at the same time.

RDB

I checked my wife’s paperwork.
Her long press is:
Loud noise
Speech direct
Comfort 1

1 Like

The programs are selected by a long push on the high side, the Mute which is not a program but a function, is activated if switched on by a long press on the lower.

RDB

3 Likes

Thanks,
I will check that out.
I know my Beyond and Venture Phonaks have mute that is not one of the programs.
Love the mute function.

Once upon a time in the West…oh man, I love that song…

1 Like

Ordered my jet black KS9s today…looking forward to sharing my experience in a couple of weeks. I’ve spotted the Noahlink Wireless on a couple of German websites for €99 - seems a very good price, just wondered if anyone had experience of ordering from over there?