Costco Kirkland Signature 8.0 (Product Information)

I have the sig 8’s with an Iphone 5c. I find that I have to go back and re-initialize Blue Tooth on the phone to get the 2nd HA to connect. And if the battery is even close to low, that HA will cut out.
I have 2 applications, one is “Smart Direct” which gives me control over modes and a microphone direction control feature, battery status check, etc…

I have something else installed which I launch with 3 taps on my phone button, but I can’t see the name of the app. I think that may be Smart Remote. That comes up and recognizes the HA’s as Rexton KS 8.0 with a battery indicator, allows me to change Mic volume/HA, Gives me preset control. AND Live Listen so one can place the phone someplace and have the sound captured at the phone and sent to the HA. To be honest I don’t use that in my circumstances, but I do use the fact that I can listen to the news from my phone direct to my HA. I can also hear the cell phone direct to my HA’s which is a real treat. Hope this helps, Allen

Smart Direct offers more features. Take a look at both on the Google Play Store for a direct comparison. Smart Direct relies on a bluetooth connection. Smart Remote uses high frequency tones (about 12khz) to send messages to the hearing aids. It’s one way communication. Phone can send commands to hearing aids, but hearing aids don’t communicate back to phone. There’s also a Smart Connect app that works with the optional Smart Connect device.

I didn’t use the Smart Remote long, but I think it basically is just a remote control to change programs. It does not name the programs, but just lists them by number, so you have to know what number is which. The Smart Direct is much more functional, although one could argue that the features are just bells and whistles. It names the programs, and adds three more programs in addition to the 6 that the fitter can program; Cafe, Cinema & Theater, and Group Conversation. It lets you change a few minor things like the HA tone volume, and the power on delay. It also has a Sound Exposure function that graphs your sound exposure during the day. Cute, but probably not all that useful… It controls microphone focus in the Automatic program, but I believe Smart Remote does that too. The best description of what the Smart Direct does, comes from Signia. Most of the features, but I don’t think all, are available on the Connexx Smart Direct app for Rexton/KS8.

Signia myControl App

The feature I like the best comes with the use of an iPhone, and does not even seem to need an app. It automatically routes iPhone music and incoming phone audio to the HA’s using bluetooth.

I believe the quick 3 tap function is built into iPhone (built for iOS), and does not depend on an app. It brings up a screen that looks something like this.

You can also get to this iOS function on your iPhone by using Settings, General, Accessibility, MFi Hearing Devices, and finally the Name of your hearing aids, to see options…

1 Like

The Smart Remote app does let you change the numbers to whatever you’d like to label them as.

I was having a hard time doing that with the Smart Direct, but the secret seems to be to press the Go button after you edit the name, and then Done…

Been awhile since I played with Smart Remote app, but I think it depends on how it is initially set up. If you use the UPC code from the paperwork Costco can provide, it should come with names, and I don’t think they’re changeable. If you skip the UPC code, you have to name them yourself, but lose some features (like batter meter)

Does anyone else’s ks8’s right side run out of battery juice faster than the left? This I my 4th battery change since getting them, and I always left each one run it’s full battery. So my right will run out, and then I let my left run out before I put in new batteries in both. My right ones always go out a half day earlier than my left.

I find myself, when my left battery runs out, switching it with the right to extend the battery life. Someone else posted something about it being the difference in the programming of the devices seeming to say that one HA that uses more energy would wear down faster. My hearing loss is pretty much the same in both ears.

My left ear is at a larger loss than my right so I would assume that the left would run out instead of my right which isn’t the case. For the most part I keep my HAs in auto program so not too many button presses on the HAs.

When your left goes out but you switch it over, does that mean the battery isn’t actually out?

My left ear receiver uses more power than my right. The first couple of changes was the left first. Then I was going in for a fitting adjustment so I replaced both at the same time, and since then the right has been going down first. Don’t know if there is a clear pattern. It may be that it is just battery to battery variability with the Kirkland (Rayovac) brand.

My left is worse as well but my right always runs out first. I have no idea why.

Perhaps there is a master HA and a slave HA? And contrary to the source definition of the terms, the master in this case does more work than the slave?

1 Like

Mine does the same as well. Also my left ear is worse then the right. The left left last 1 hr 1 1/2 hrs. longer then the right battery.

I’m wondering if it’s because the right HA houses the program controls this requires more power. Where as the left HA only operates volume

My right hearing aid seems to always run out first. It also has a higher level of amplification. Usually the left will go within an hour of the right. So when the right goes, I replace both of them at the same time.

I have KS7 and my left typically quits earlier and my right ear has the worst loss. I suspect there’s variability in power efficiency of individual hearing aids.

I received my new kirkland 8 has’s on dec 31 18. really excellent compared to my previous kirkland 6 ha’s as far as sound is concerned. So far they have been ibn for service twice, the first time they gave me completely new hearing aids as well as receivers, las time the right one died and ythey put a new receiver as well as one of the amplifiers was replaced. Two days after I got it back the receiver on the left one packed it in. I am going back after easter to get a refund. I am profoundly deaf and each time they go in for service they are away for 8 business days which equates to a fortnight in reality. I cannot live or function like this . I dont have confidence in the aids anymore, I dont trust them.

It’s weird because I am not rough with them, treat them with kid gloves and care. Is my experience unusual or is there a lot of folks with a similar experience. had them for 4 months and not had them for 6 weeks of that 4 months

Pete

Go for BTE version. It will make less problem

they are BTE:slightly_frowning_face::slightly_frowning_face::slightly_frowning_face::slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like