Cochlear Nucleus 8

I too have been reading about these N8 drop out problems with iOS devices.
Seems I remember an iOS update that fixed the issue.

Recently I have moved to the N7 processors for the winter. They are less obstructive to hoods and headwear.
The K2 processors are much better with Bluetooth than the N7 processors. Better range and better connection. I use an Android phone.

2 Likes

@ssa can you tell me if the N8 is the same as the N7 and needs to be both linked and paired with your other devices please? Or am I lucky enough to just have to pair them?

It is the same thing for iOS paring, you need to have it linked together in CSP to be able to bimodally stream on iOS. the upgraded map that was sent by Cochlear didn’t have the link…

1 Like

I had an email from Cochlear today telling me my request for an upgrade to N8 has gone to my health insurance for approval. So the wait begins again… Sigh! Christmas will come quicker…
What a whole pile of bunkum, I just checked the TGA as far as I can see it still hasn’t been approved!! GRRRRR

3 Likes

I got the compact n8 battery recently, it is smaller than the n7 compact battery… it makes n8 even smaller, just wow…

Let us know about battery life compared to the N7.
Thanks

1 Like

I had n8 with the n7 battery, 12 hour battery life…

1 Like

I have N7 compact batteries and when new I got 14 hours out of them. I’m only getting 8-9 now though, 2 yrs old.

n7and n8 have the same battery capacity but in a brand new slimmer case…

1 Like

Hmmm I haven’t filled out any forms to tell the Cochlear Center here what I want with my N8… Eg 8 cm coil, small ear hook, compact batteries, etc. Yet I’ve received an email today telling me it’s arrived and getting fitted on the 29/3. Here in Melbourne they don’t mail them out, we have to go into the CCC and get it fitted, linked, paired and mapping as well. It will be interesting to see what arrives. I’m excited and can’t wait to see what I think of the N8.

1 Like

How will you deal with getting things you did not want?

After dealing with a bunch of nonsense on my first CI I now believe the best thing to do is not accept anything I did not order or want. I sure might be wrong about that though.

:woman_shrugging::woman_shrugging::woman_shrugging: I will just have to wait and see what arrives at the appointment. I won’t be bringing home anything I don’t use or is the wrong size. I’ll tell them what size I need and they can get it in. It will mean another trip into town though.

I live out in the country.
Need an excuse to drive into town! Shipping has almost made a hermit out of me.

About 1.25 hours to my audiologist and Costco.

2 Likes

When I had my N7 fitted in Sydney, I didn’t fill out any forms either. And I wouldn’t have known what to write anyway. The audiologist had everything packed in a box ready for me, with another box on the side of alternate parts. Then it was a process of mix & match on the day. And if something didn’t work after trying, get another one out of the spare box but still keep the part that didn’t fit since it could no longer be used for someone else. I think the cost of this is built into the cost of the device.

1 Like

That makes sense for a new recipient. I was just given a kit and told to change things down the track if anything is uncomfortable. But for an upgrade, when you know what size your comfortable with it doesn’t make sense. Time will tell no doubt.

I watched an unboxing of a Nucleus 8 upgrade last night and it seemed to come with absolutely everything. I thought to myself how generous it was of Cochlear and now you’re telling me it’s not so!

@Deaf_piper. You linked to a comprehensive CI information site a while ago (apologies if it wasn’t you). I’m going into research mode now. Do you have that link? Should I start my own topic or are we overloaded with ‘my CI journey’ topics?

I have Nucleus 7 obtained subsequent to Cochlear implant in 2020. I have not seen any reviews of the new Nucleus 8 nor its price. Just wondering just how “new and improved” it is.
Thanks

@nelhop the N8 was released August 2022, so it is new technology. It’s now fully available in Australia, this month. The cost is around $12,500 in Australia without private health insurance. I get mine next Wednesday, and can’t wait. @ssa has his, hopefully he will give you a good run down on his experiences with it.

The 3 things that cochlear summed up about N8 is accurate and on point Smaller, Smarter, and better connected.
It is smaller than most BTE HA for profound loss and have a hearing aid tight fit
Smarter as in SCAN 2 is much faster at classification and more accurate, also classifies if you need forward focus automatically, improved forward focus algo, which can act adaptively,
Better connected as in Bluetooth LE Audio, where the devices will be able to communicate without dongles/bridge/ special protocol on android and ios devices

2 Likes

I found that the N8 is so much better than the N6. The direct streaming and nucleus smart app are so good. I love how I can hide it under my hair if I want or show it off. I ended up choosing white.

2 Likes