Cochlear Kanso with Profile Plus Implant

No it did not. I had such little left my doctor said it wouldnt have made a real difference

I went for another evaluation and mapping today. My audi gave me another tone test and speech test, but the speech test was more comprehensive.

Tone test: Like my last exam im right within normal range.

Speech test: She gave me a test on both words and sentences. The word test I got about 78% of correct. I didnt do so well with the softer speech words. As she lowered her voice i started to struggle some.

The sentence test with no background noise I got 92% correct.

I struggled with sentences in noise. With background noise I only got 37% correct.

Overall my audi was very happy with the results. I told her the test results are right in line with what im experiencing in the real world. I still struggle with people with soft speech and even slight background noise can give me trouble. My audi said that it’s a work in progress, but hearing in noise will always be a challenge.

She gave me another mapping with only 2 programs and wants to see me again in 3 months. I have only been using the new mapping for a few hours. At the moment i sense its not as loud or “powerful” as my previous mapping, but we’ll see.

3 Likes

Thanks for the detailed update. Very helpful.
Would you say your results are on par with most other implant patients?

While researching the Kanso 2 I came across this article from Audiology Online.
Pretty good information.
https://www.audiologyonline.com/interviews/cochlear-whats-new-with-kanso-27319

1 Like

unboxing kanso 2 :
Great news :white_check_mark:

1 Like

Im not sure i did not ask (i should have)

Thanks for the video.
Pictures are worth 1000 words. Spreche kein deutsch.

So, she is giddy to open them, but she waited to share this opening with us.
Then she pulls out two power adapter, noting that they’re not only euro ones so it’s good for travels.
Then she’s happy how it’s small and light. And same for the charger, which is also drying box (for capsules). Then notices that there’s a hole for security cable so that you don’t need to remove it for charging, it’ll fit.

2:30 It doesn’t have buttons but you can tap. 3 times for turn off, 2 times for turn on. And should be done relatively fast.

3:00 remote control is also there, for those without smartphone
Manuals for smartphone users and other manuals/instruction, warranty

4:20 she discovered usb cable and is trying for what is it (charger)
Then there’s also powerbank for charging when you’re on your way

5:00 Some cap on the kanso should be removed in order to connect with powerbank
And it is light in weight

5:40 tool for putting the magnet, and she’s happy how easy it goes
Mapping isn’t inside yet, so it has to be set up by your audi
But she’s testing how it holds on the head and that not having anything at the ear feels nice, and that’s really lighter

7:25 then she mentions replacement parts, like that cap
With instructions
Aqua+ that is softer, and more comfortable (I guess than older solution)
It holds a bit less but still good
Box has a hooks for swimming glasses

8:40 security cable (thread) for aqua+
Protection for microphones, those black dots
It’s simple to remove them, by opening, she shows
Softpads for people who feel a pressure from long wearing, 5 pieces

10:15 she said that in your packet you might get other options for carrying, like headband, or in rucksack

She is curious how sound will be
Also she’s happy that there’s wifi connection now

And that she speaked so much that dog fell asleep
She’s happy to share this with us
She’ll share when she tries the sound

Hope this helps a bit :slight_smile:

2 Likes

So i have to go for an integrity test on my internal processor tomorrow. About 3 weeks ago i banged the implanted side of my head. I didnt think much of it, but i was little sore and achy in the implanted area for the next few days. Performance wise i am not noticing any difficulties hearing. The only thing i notice now is if i wiggle my finger in my implanted ear i hear a whistling sound (sounds a lot like the whistle sound on the hearing test). I dont remember hearing this prior to banging my head.

My audi wants to do an integrity test prior to seeing my surgeon.

Im a little nervous. Wish me luck

This is an interesting post. I seem to beat myself up doing things working. My hard head usually hasn’t been a problem.
Please keep us updated and good luck.

1 Like

I got my Med-EL 8 months ago and I noticed such a whistling while banging my head, too. Meanwhile I don’t hear such a thing any more.

2 Likes

All the integrity tests came out fine. My audi is going to forward the test results to my surgeon and my surgeon will determine if she will want me to come in for a visit

2 Likes

I just read your posts again. It was really good to hear your experiences. Mine are very similar at this time.
The number 4 magnet does hold the N7 in place. Hopefully the Kanso2 processors will be exchanged soon. I am at day 6 from activation. With the processor maxed out on volume I do understand a little speech. Each day speech seems to be getting a little bit better. Your posts have helped me feel better about where I am at with this new implant.

3 Likes

I tried the Kanso 2 with the size 4 magnet this afternoon and it just barely held. Very easy to fall off. My surgery was October 1st. Swelling seems to be down. I thought there is a size 5 magnet but not sure after what you said. My hair is not thick, am I just too thick skinned?

With my Kanso 2 not sticking to my implant problem I did find this information on the Cochlear website. It shows magnet sizes up to 5 strength with Profile Plus implants.This is great news since having problems with magnet 4 not holding.

It looks like there is a 5 size magnet. You have a long way to go with the swelling. It can take months for it to completely subside.

1 Like

Can you tell me what you ended up doing?
I really want to use the Kanso 2 processor.
When do you think swelling will be gone?
The area just under the implant is still a little sore. The upper ear area and the inner ear is still numb. Using a Q-tip is strange. Taking a shower and running water into my ear is weird, no sound at all.
Thanks for your help.

I hope you have been doing well.

I had no choice but go with the N7. Did you ask your doctor if the Kanso 2 has a 5 magnet?

I am 8 months post surgery and i still notice improvements with the healing because i notice my magnet is more firmly attached. It takes patience.

Good Luck

1 Like

Just got off a chat with Cochlear using MyCochlear.
Order is in to replace the #4I magnets with the #5I magnets. I sure hope the strongest Profile Plus implant magnets for the Kanso 2 will hold.
Fingers crossed.

According to what I read from the experiences of some people, as the problem lasted for more than a month with them, we know that the nature and thickness of the skin needs stronger magnets. If you have to test magnet 4 for a certain period of time, if the situation does not improve, you should order magnet 5.