Cochlear Kanso with Profile Plus Implant

Thanks for taking the time to explain EAS better. I really appreciate it.
My hearing loss has deteriorated the past 5-8 years at a faster rate than when I was younger. Hearing aids are becoming very difficult to tune for speech. The last two times I went to professional fitters one had no idea how to fit me and the other did pretty good.
Thanks for all your help.

2 Likes

@Raudrive The EAS attachment is the small piece attached as the ear hook. The actual EAS is the same as looking at a RIC in a HA.

4 Likes

Thanks for posting the picture. Very helpful. :+1:

1 Like

I went for my second mapping today post activation. My audi gave me both a tone test and a basic speech test - words only no sentences or background noise.

The tone test: My audi said i am almost within normal range.

The speech test: Again just a basic test but I got 96% of the words correct. During my pre-surgery evaluation with my hearing aids in i got 0% of the words correct.

My audi said she is thrilled with my progress. She even asked me if i will consider the other ear (LOL). I said ill hold off on that for now.

My audi did another mapping and in 2 months I will go back for a more comprehensive speech exam (sentences, background noise etc)

As for the original reason why i started this thread - the Kanso and the issues i had. My audi mentioned she received the information on the Kanso 2 from Cochlear last week and if I want she will try to get me upgraded due to the issues i had with the original kanso. I told her its not that big of a deal for me anymore and i rather not switch devices while im still going through the mapping process but id let her know if i change my mind.

My CI surgeon also had a hearing test conducted on my implanted ear to check if my residual hearing was preserved - it wasnt. The doctor said i had such little left it would not have made much of a difference. She explained all of this to me prior to the surgery and i was ok with it.

5 Likes

Thanks for sharing this information.
You are doing great, congratulations.

Whoa, this is impressive! Congrats!

Did you do some special training?

And if you don’t mind me asking, how come that you plan to hold with the other ear?

Were these tests done at 60db? Just trying to get a handle on how bad my hearing is. Should be getting the second opinion evaluation set up this week.
Thanks again for your update.

No i did not do any special training.

To answer your question about the second implant - Im not a big fan of surgeries and i still want to see what the end game is with my first implant. Although i did well on the tests today they were basic tests and i told my audi that out in the real world i am still not completely comfortable in basic situations. Some people i hear really well, others i still struggle a lot. And the slightest background noise still gives me trouble. My audi understood and said we will keep working on it.

I believe i still have ways to go.

Thanks for the kind words.

I am sorry i do not know which DB it was.

1 Like

Ah, I see. So it’s not ‘not’ but ‘I need more time, I’m not opposed to, but still, need more time’.

I think rarely anyone is fan of surgery :joy:
Although, I must say, if I’m completely sleeping, you can convince me more easily into one.

When I was a kid I insisted and my mother had to sign that I can go sleeping instead of local anesthesia. For pulling out some really bad tooth.
Injections terrified me back then, and injection in mouth was horrible idea. But I could get gas inhaled one, and that was almost fun. At least the part when you lose your consciousness. Sadly, they don’t allow adults to get gas :frowning:

On the topic, yeah I think any noise and especially chatter is really challenging for us hard of hearing folks.

I thought that everyone with CI gets some training or at least recommendation. When I researched here in Germany, I was told that only CI wearers get training, but those with HA not. In Croatia I could get training but not HAs, since they think I don’t need it. Probably your country has different rules.

At least there’s bunch of programs for CI wearers. I stumbled upon them when I was looking at those who focus on sentences and noise, while a lot of CI start with common sounds (traffic, water), then do phonemes, words and sentences are at the very end.

At least in the US we are on our own. Like you mentioned there are apps, there are communities, but there’s not like regimented training for those of us who have CIs. Basically, the direction I have, once I’m activated, is to do the apps, listen to audiobooks I’m already familiar with the stories thereof (which’ll be fun, I hate the idea of audiobooks but I will do it to be able to hear better), captioned television and film, music I know, so that my brain will learn to attach the sounds I hear to the words I already know from memory they represent.

1 Like

There are definitely training programs. Cochlear has a portal you can log into with a bunch of training material.

I didnt use any of it. As soon as i was activated i connected my mini mic to my PC and listen to talk radio all day while i work.

I dunno I don’t really think of self directed stuff as a “training program” but that’s just me. I guess that’s why we have the distinction…

I agree which is why i mentioned to Blacky that i did not do any special training.

I also didn’t do anything special during my rehab. I did a lot of audio books, podcasts, talkback radio. And anything else I could stream. I glanced at iAngelsounds and Hearoes but didn’t do very much work with either app, as I felt they were both very basic. They would be excellent for someone who was struggling with hearing speech or sounds. But for those who could distinguish speech from activation I didn’t think they helped very much.

2 Likes

I also picked up Anglesounds, I think it is probably good for what it was designed for, people without hearing experience, but if you hear well from activation it is too tedious to use.

1 Like

Mornin’ Angle.

morecharacters…

1 Like

Hi @Lou82

congrats for CI implant .

• u say have 20 Y use HA , why choose the Ci implant u have loss hearing ? R side or L side its loss hearing ? now only use cochlear on side … other side use HA ?

• after 5 month now u can talk by phone or still ?

• how many months before get the implant ?

Regards

Hi Toti. Yes i have profound hearing loss in both ears so i decided to get the CI. I got implanted in my left ear. RIght now i am now not wearing a HA in my right ear since im still going through the mapping process i want to give my doctor the best feedback possible.

Most of my phone conversations are streamed through my iphone directly to my processor. I am doing pretty well but there are a lot of factors that determine this. The strength of the phone line, the way the person speaks, whether they are speaking to you on speaker phone or not.

I had hearing loss for about 20 years. It wasnt only until about 5-7 years go when it reached a profound stage. I tried to put off the CI surgery as much as possible but i knew it was time

I hope this helped

1 Like

Did your CI622 implant preserved your residual hearing?