Cochlear Kanso with Profile Plus Implant

Somehow I can picture the Kanso processor and your implant communicating with each other. Am I not understanding?

They do not seem to be communicating because the Kanso does not attach to my skull at all.

1 Like

UPDATE: My hair has flattened out a bit so i tried the Kanso today and it now attaches to my head but it is very weak and falls off pretty easily. If i stand or sit upright it will stay attached, but a few movements and it will fall off. It is also not communicating with the internal processor while it is attached to my skull because the Kanso blinks orange.

As a test i took the magnet out of the Kanso and it attaches to my head fine and sturdy. It does not fall off at all. Therefore it appears the form factor of the Kanso is causing the “block”/issue.

Ill try again next week with my hair more grown out and hopefully some more swelling goes down.

1 Like

@Lou82 once all the swelling has gone down around the magnet site it will attach easier. When I first had my N7 I had a 4 magnet. 4 weeks later I was put down to a 2. Just give it time for all the swelling to subside, it could possibly be the post op swelling that’s making it difficult for the magnet to attach.

3 Likes

I connected my N7 to my iphone and installed the app. The app has 4 programs called scan 1, scan 2, scan 3 and scan 4

Is there a difference between a scan and a program? I was just watching a youtube video and on someones phone there was a program called Program 1 not scan 1.

Scan is Cochlear name for their automatic program. Right now my first program is scan my second says program 2, which is set up to focus towards the front but not as tightly as their forward focus option.

Sounds like your audiologist put all four in the default program of scan, why they just didn’t turn the other three off if they were going to do that I can’t tell you.

2 Likes

My doctor said each program will provide more electrical stimulation

That would be very handy for someone just getting a CI.

2 Likes

@Lou82 mine is set up the same as yours. Each new scan 1, 2, 3 or 4 has the volume turned up a bit louder than the scan previously. The louder the volume you go the more stimulation you are getting. Hope this makes sense.

2 Likes

When streaming from the iphone to the N7 processor is there a way to mute background noise? With my hearing aids i was able to do this. Its very important for when you are in a noisy environment and need to make a phone call or listen to audio on your phone. I went through the nucleus app settings, but there doesnt appear to be a way to do this.

@Lou82 have you had your sensitivity icon connected as yet? If you have try lowering that. Mine is set on 12 by Cochlear I have to keep turning it down. This may or may not help you.

Go into your app, tap volume. You will see the word “more” at the Bottom of the green section. If it’s been connected tap the word more, and the sensitivity will come up. Good luck…

3 Likes

Thank You! When i select “more” there is a microphone volume option to adjust. If i put that all the way down to 0 it will mute all background noise and i can just listen to what i am streaming.

Such a big help. Thanks!

3 Likes

I went for my second round of mappings today and gave my audi my experiences during the first round. Told her while sounds and people’s voices have begun to sound more natural there is still that garbly/robotic twinge to it and there are “rumbling rings” (for lack of a better term) that mimic people’s voice as they speak. I feel like this is hindering me when having conversations with people. I dont feel confident having conversations with strangers because of this. I dont feel like i am hearing them well. The doctor said that this will go away over time.

Also told her when speaking to people face to face it doesnt feel like they are speaking in front of me. Rather it seems like they are speaking from a distance or through a speaker. Its kind of hard to explain.

My audi gave me a second round of mappings and wants me to start again on Scan 1 for 2 weeks then switch to scan 2 etc. She wants to see me again in July and will give me a speech exam to see where i am at. Overall she said im a doing very well which surprised me.

One thing I am doing incredibly well with is when i connect the mini mic 2+ to my computer and TV. During the day while i work i stream talk radio from my PC and i hear close to 100% of what the hosts say and i have to keep the volume low or its too powerful. After work i connect it to my tv and i hear excellent when im watching shows or the news. The other day the news correspondent had her face covered while reporting and i heard everything she said with the TV volume only at 10. So that’s encouraging

Im just trying to stay patient.

Thanks for listening

3 Likes

Thanks for the update.
Sounds like you are on schedule or better.

2 Likes

Thanks for your update… It is a very frustrating process indeed. I’m 10 months post implant now, I still have the very annoying robotic speech yapping away at me. It has improved somewhat but still annoying. My Aud tells me it’s the EAS Hybrid attachment and the high frequencies that’s causing it. I have to wonder is it worth having the hybrid EAS attachment?

You are going extremely well keep up with the rehab, boring and all as it is, it’s extremely important.

3 Likes

Sounds like things are going well. I have also found that anything I can stream, either through the mini mic 2+ or the phone clip, comes through very well. I can even understand the phone most of the time.

I wouldn’t say that things sound robotic anymore but there is still a pronounced frequency shift. I played with some software and estimated it at about an octave and a not, but it was hard to be sure as the software introduced a lot of distortion at that point. I am still trying to figure out a way to record a comparison so that others can understand.

1 Like

Took a quick Google look at EAS technology. High frequencies and acoustics seem to be what this is all about. I guess this is the high frequency robotic sounds you are talking about. This technology came out in 1999 I believe so it’s not brand new technology.
Just wondering if other CI members are also using this EAS technology and having the same robotic sounds.

I don’t, it was designed for ski slope loss where people still had good hearing in their lower frequencies so that left me and my flat loss out. In theory it is supposed to let you use natural hearing for low frequencies where the CI can’t get to ( the bottom varies a bit between the companies but is around 100 hz) and the implant for the high frequencies. But I can imagine that it takes a bit of work to get them to blend well.

But I don’t think that is the actual cause here. Everyone who gets an implant seems to start with the robotic sounds, it generally goes away with time, practice, and adjustments. And if anything the EAS should produce more naturally sounding frequencies, but may I could see it having a longer adjustment time as the brain learns to integrate the signals.

1 Like

Thanks for that information, very helpful.
The EAS technology will not work for me either. When the day comes for the CI evaluation hopefully I will have a decent understanding of what’s going on.
Thanks again

@Raudrive Cochlear designed thus EAS attachment when so many people were coming back with faults with the hybrid array L24 (short array) They had good residual immediately post implant then 2+ years later they needed to be reimplanted with a longer array. Aussie surgeons are not using the L24 anymore, for that reason. I had to have a 522, this array did preserve my residual and Ive gained a lot more since surgery. The EAS is only fitted to those recipients whose residual is preserved post implant. I’ve just looked at your audiogram and as it stands now you would be borderline for an EAS post surgery if you didn’t lose any more residual. My both ears were the same pre surgery. Not a lot more residual than you have now.

1 Like