Charger interoperability: Which ones work with Oticon More?

Hi there!

I am trying my luck here, maybe someone else had the same idea and found a solution.

Having the Oticon More1 I find the charger way too big on travels.

Now as all vendors work with induction charging one of you might found a smaller charger from another vendor wich also works with Oticon More.

Anybody?

Best,
Frank

@mrted: I’m trying to understand here … My More charger is about as big as 1 1/4 pairs of socks (regular, not thin dress sox). How big/small do you consider acceptable?

1 Like

Look at this, small like an Airpod case…

1 Like

@mrted: No, the More charger is not as compact as that, but is it really so large as to be an issue when throwing it into a suitcase? The relative size is not important if it is not causing an absolute problem, IMO.

1 Like

Maybe North America has different proportions when travelling but I find it quite big only travelling with just one carry-on bag… :wink:

1 Like

But coming back to my initial question: Which charger from another vendor would also work with Oticon more1?

1 Like

I believe this has been answered before by @Volusiano and others … IIRC, even though everyone uses induction charging, their exact technology defeats interchangeability. But, you should be able to find some existing answers while you’re waiting for an answer to be posted here.

Cheers

1 Like

I did my search but could not find an answer, that’s why I posted it here…

Do you have link on that discussion?

@mrted: Sorry I didn’t post it, but I am without my wife here for the past two weeks and trying to cope with some medical issues, so I may not have tine to do the search for you. I’ll try to help you more, later on.

Try reading some of the posts in this thread…

I have the Oticon smart charger for my More1 aids they are for traveling, not cheap. The charger for the more aids are very specific for the aids don’t try to use any charger that isn’t specific for the aids.

2 Likes

Not all chargers are inductive. I think some Phonak chargers have contacts in the charger and on the aids.

Also, chargers from the same manufacturer don’t even work with other models of that manufacturer’s aids.

My Jabra aids made by ReSound won’t charge in my Preza charger and vice versa, even though the chargers appear to be identical.

2 Likes

Oticon does make a travel charger for the More already, so I’m not sure why somebody would want to use a different brand/different model charger instead, at the risk of messing up a very expensive pair of hearing aids, or at least expensive batteries.

These are sophisticated electronics using Lithium-ion batteries, so beside the high cost factor, there’s also a safety/risk factor of charging an unstable battery chemistry such as Lithium-ion on top of it. Do you want to risk blowing up or catching your More HAs on fire?

Now if there is no travel charger option available on the More, I can understand the question being asked. Or if someone may want to know if the Oticon travel charger can be backward compatible with the OPN S or something like that. But inter-brand inductive charger interoperability? I wouldn’t even dream of trying something like that unless the other manufacturer expressedly advertise that their own charger is compatible with the Oticon More and even guarantee and accept responsibility if the More HAs get ruined from being used in their charger.

Inductive charging on Lithium-ion based systems is not the same as using 120V volt household outlets or even using the ubiquitous 5V USB charging system. I would think that they’re highly customized and specialized and don’t follow any governing standard. But maybe I’m wrong.

4 Likes

@Volusiano: Exactly, MrV … Exactly!!!

I have them, also big and heavy

Thanks for the explanation, makes sense, was just hoping maybe two vendors use a by accident compatible charging unit and thought better asking as someone might figured it out

Here is the bottom line, with the More hearing aids you have three choices, the desktop charger, the smart charger that is portable, and trading your aids for the disposable batteries, well there is one more find a different brand of hearing aids.
I dislike being so blunt but it is what it is.

2 Likes

@cvkemp: FWIW, I don’t take your words as blunt, Chuck. It’s just the unvarnished truth, and you’re always kind about it, anyway, so there’s nothing bad happening here …

1 Like

Ditto on this (about Chuck not being blunt). It sounds like the OP already knows about both charging case options and made a decision to purchase the More anyway. So this question should probably have been best to be asked before the purchase decision so the OP could buy something else (like the Signia) if the charging case size is a deal breaker for him. But apparently it’s not.

But I guess it’s alright to ask the question, that’s what the forum is for. And the answer is not what he wants to hear, but it is what it is. Personally, I don’t think the Oticon smart travel charger looks that much bigger than the Signia travel charger to really be an issue for travel, although it is slightly bigger. Of course it’d be heavy because the battery is built into it. That’s the price to pay for convenience.

3 Likes

Maybe one of these day, the charger for HA will be standardized like the mobile phone. One charger for all types of HA!