Are all hearing aid chargers the same?

Id like the travel charger for the Oticon More1’s, but its just way overpriced.

Since the Kirkland KS10’s also uses rechargeable lithium-ion batteries, are there any issues using the much more affordable Kirkland charger with my Oticon More (s)?

Thanks.

Can you get the specs on the KS10 charger and do the Oticon More even fit that charger?

I believe Oticon uses inductive charging and judging from Phonak’s protruding contact points. they do not use inductive charging;

1 Like

It seems that every charger from different hearing aid manufacturers are different, Oticon has different charger specs for it seems each of their rechargeable aids

All chargers are not the same, even within the same brand family. I have ReSound Preza aids and Jabra pro aids, and while the chargers look visually identical they don’t work with both aids. Jabra to Jabra and Preza to ReSound only.

I also have Philips Hearlink 9030 aids, and the shape of the aids are so different and smaller that the ReSound or Jabra aids would not fit in the Philips charger.

All of my aids are inductive charging.

1 Like

It’s even more complicated than that! I have a premium charger for my Resound Quattros and another premium charger for my Resound Ones. You can’t charge the Ones in the Quattro charger, but you can charge the Quattros in the One charger. Both chargers look identical, except that the charging port for the two chargers is different.

1 Like

I have tried placing Oticon More on an iPhone flat plate inductive charger. It does not work!

@dankailo: Why are you trying this? You’re a veterinarian … surely you know that "It was curiosity that killed the cat!"

2 Likes

Do not divide brands by type of charger.

Phonak also started using inductive charging for the Phonak Audeo life, Audeo slim models.
Let’s wait for the new hearing aids, this year Phonak Lumity models are coming which are fully rechargeable.
I have a hunch that it will now fully use inductive charging, but I’m not sure. I think the inductive charger is more expensive, maybe they’ll keep the older type because it’s cheaper to make

3 Likes

Based on past practice when cables were used to program aids and none were interchangeable, I would say no

1 Like

Rechargeable hearing aids have one problem, which is that when you run out of battery, you have to put it on the charger for at least an hour to get the rest of the day’s operation of the hearing aid.

I have a strange idea, maybe an inductive power charger will offer something that the older type of plug-in chargers didn’t.

Try to imagine if Phonak or any other manufacturer offered for sale - a charger in the form of a headset. Those headphones would actually be a power bank that would supplement the hearing aid with inductive charging even when we wear the hearing aid.

People would probably think that we are listening to music, but we are actually charging the hearing aid.
I think that the hearing aid must be able to distinguish between a desktop charger and a charger in such a way that it can be turned off while charging on the desktop charger and still work when we wear such headphones.

1 Like

It is interesting to read this post and all the comments. Some make me want laugh some make me just shake my head. I have been wearing rechargeable aids for about 3 years now, two different sets, one set my main hearing aids the other my backups. I wear my aids on average of 16 hours a day. My short days about 12 to 14 hours, my long days are between 18 to 20 hours. I haven’t had my aids go dead at anytime. Now I don’t stream a whole lot but I do stream some. My aids are always connected to my iPhone and sometimes to my iPad and other times to the connect clip. Most of my streaming is using the connect clip connected to my kindle streaming audiobooks. While I know we are all different and have different requirements and issues I fully believe that more and more hearing aids are becoming rechargeable and less and less with be using the disposable batteries. As aids become more powerful and more complicated the more power is needed and the zinc batteries aren’t going to be able to handle the load.

2 Likes

I killed one cat! Cats have nine lives…

Good idea! A word of caution when charging using headset - electromagnetic waves effect on the brain.

Nice to read your reply. Retiree enjoying life to the max!

I maybe retired but I still love technology. I was trained by the Navy to be an Electronics Technician, and a troubleshooter. Then I educated myself to be an electronics engineer then a software engineer. I have to say once you understand how to troubleshoot, with the right research you can do basic troubleshooting of any thing you set your mind to do.

2 Likes

Absolutely NOT!

Oticon More Rechargeable H/A’s will only work with The More Smart Charger, or the Oticon standard induction charger.

Kirkland is made by Sonova (Phonak) not interchangeable w/Oticon.

1 Like

I love technology but have to learn from someone. I am more towards biology. Let’s enjoy whenever you are.

1 Like

More important than the cost, it seems to me, is the size of a charging coil compared to the size of a couple of contacts.

The problem with contacts are they get dirty, and the aids don’t charge, I don’t know about you but most of the time that I put my aids on charge it is a dark room or very little light. Kind of hard to see if the contacts are clean. I personally love the wireless charging.

2 Likes