Bone conducting headphones

I appreciate the recommendation and bought this pair to check them out.

It was weird. I could hear them but not as loud as when I am streaming through my KS9s. It seems like (at least these cheap ones) have flat speakers that aim at the skin near your ear instead of the ear canal. When I held them over my ears, they were louder, even when not touching anything. I might try a different set, but at this point I don’t think the technology is going to work for me.

This is literally what I experienced even tho my left ear has a mixed loss.

I ended up selling them on.

1 Like

Put ear plugs in your ears while you listen to them.

The sound will increase by 200%.

They normally come with a pair.

Except that would defeat their usual purpose - safety in traffic or hearing conversation from friends or family members.

I tried my husbands (he loves them but has no hearing loss). I tried and they made me feel nauseated. I get the same after a hearing test. I think it’s because the vibrations are so strong due to my profound hearing loss

Looked long and hard for conductive headphones and finally found a pair of Aftershokz Titanium AS600’s on eBay for about $45. I’ve been really pleased with the performance over the last couple of years. I chose these so that I could keep my Phonak M90’s (RIC) in to answer the phone via BT and not have to quickly change my hearing setup. As far as others hearing them, I use them most at the local coffee house so as not to disturb others sitting near me. I’ve heard no complaints from the couple who usually sits at the nearby table; they say they don’t hear them at all. They’re absolutely NOT the quality of an audiophile’s headphones, but for someone who usually listens through my PC speakers, they’re fully adequate for my use.

1 Like

Great tip, and that was a good deal!

Well I liked the idea of bone conducting headphones and purchased a pair of AfterShokzs and I couldn’t hear anything from them lol Everyone else in my house could lol I would love AirPods but that’s a no go as well. I now stream via my Phonak Paradise 90s and loved them.

They would not prevent hearing loss caused by “hair cell deterioration” they bypass the eardrum and middle ear, but the inner cell has the same vibration exposure. I hear much better through bone conduction (90dB gap) and LOVE my Aftershokz.

5 Likes

Was it one of the Aftershokz/Shokz or another brand?

(90dB gap)

What do you mean?

@Nick99

90 dB gap between Air Conduction values and Bone Conduction values.

1 Like

The difference between what I can hear through my skull Vs through my eardrum is 90dB at low frequencies.

1 Like

It was the Aftershokz brand (the red ones). Husband said he could actually hear the music, it was turned up so loud (wasn’t loud for me!). I feel the same after hearing tests to be honest.

2 Likes

wondering

smilesmilesmile

I posted a review of my AfterShokz Aeropex about a year ago:
https://forum.hearingtracker.com/t/aftershokz-aeropex-bone-conduction-headphone-review/59919?u=the.dog
I still love them and use them daily for listening to the radio or podcasts when out walking. They also work better than my HAs for phone calls. They are far more convenient than any other headphones (or my AirPods) and don’t require removal of the HAs. Your results will depend on your hearing loss but I’ve been using these regularly for well over a year and remain perfectly satisfied.

1 Like

So I tried the AfterShokz Aeropex model and I didn’t like it. From what I had read I was very optimistic before getting them. I was looking to use it for podcasts. The sound is considerably less clear than when I hold my phone on my chest. I make a greater effort to understand on the Aeropex than from the phone on max volume. I didn’t put the Aeropex at max volume because at relatively high volume it feels like “micro-zaps” on your skin which is annoying and uncomfortable to me.

I put it on the volume where the zaps cannot be felt but that isn’t enough volume to me (holding the phone is better in terms of spoken-words clarity and volume). I have moderate hearing loss.

Interested to know if others have a similar experience.

Instead of lowering the volume, I found that I could eliminate the vibration sensation by slightly modifying the spots where the contact points of my AfterShokz come in contact with the left and right sides of my head. I did this by simply “tilting” the back band slightly upward or downward at the back of my head ,and quickly found the “sweet spot” for no zapping sensation and adequate volume. You might be pleased with the improvement.

1 Like

I will try, thanks Nate.

1 Like

I was in my nearest City today and saw someone with bone conduction headphones on, but he also had ear plugs in. Been wondering why he doesn’t just wear normal headphones as he’s blocking his ears.