Bone conducting headphones

As an alternative to Airpods Pro (see also this thread: Headphones causing deterioration of hearing?) I saw AfterShokz bone conducting headphones: https://www.amazon.com/AfterShokz-OpenMove-Conduction-Bluetooth-Headphones/dp/B08BZF5W7N

Since these don’t go into the ear, are they safe to use?

I have genetic hearing loss (moderate) and I have read some of the theory (hair cell deterioration) but I don’t know whether these bypass the problematic area caused by hearing loss.
I’d very much like to avoid any kind of further deterioration of my hearing loss (that’s why I stopped using Airpods Pro, despite the fact that they were comfortable and nice to listen to).

1 Like

Good question. I was wondering the same thing today. I’ll be following this thread. Thank you.

I gave up on my Phonak TVConnector connecting to my laptop and instead use the AfterShokz. No more constant drop outs and disconnecting. Also, when I get out of range in the house and then walk back into range, the AfterShoks automatically reconnect via Bluetooth, eliminating the constant annoyance of reaching up and clicking the battery compartment on my hearing aids open and shut in order to reconnect.

2 Likes

I have 3 pair. I love the aftershocks.

There are some cheap Chinese ones in Amazon for a tenth of the price which are just as good.

2 Likes

Thanks, that helps. Which model do you recommend?

Id go with the cheap Chinese ones not spend more then 20 to 30 bucks. I can’t tell the difference with my aftershocks to the Chinese ones.

The aftershock fit more snug, the Chinese are more comfortable.

By no means either are no audiophile quality.

Aftershock better quality and will last longer.

But for hearing loss people like us, especially conductive hearing loss, they are really nice.

Exactly which of the low price bone conduction earphones have you had good luck with? It would be appreciated if you could provide an Amazon link or links.

2 Likes

For those that use these type headphones, are you bother by the “feel” of these as they are used ? My son in Florida has some and said he didn’t like a slight buzz feeling with heavy bass music. Also, can others hear what you are listening to? He said he couldn’t use them at work because others could easily hear what he was playing.

1 Like

They are all going to buzz regardless the brand.

As long as you don’t have them cranked all the way up, you won’t feel the buzzing and others won’t hear.

These are the ones i recommend for cheap. If you can splurge, get the aftershocks.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B095PR8KLG/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_RXKWP6CQ43XRJHWZ43EX

4 Likes

I have a pair of cheapo China ones - no brand name I can see they say Model 9. About $20 eBay. Almost as good as Aftershocks but I prefer the AS

2 Likes

Personally, I wouldn’t get anything other than the Aftershokz because I’m concerned with safety (not accidentally damaging my hearing) and the whole bone conducting thing (I haven’t ever tried a pair) sounds pretty exotic to me already.

Is the buzz similar to the sensation from pressure some feel from ANC (noise cancelling) headphones?

I already have and use the AfterShokz. They don’t buzz. They work great. I am just looking for the best cheap brand to compare with and as a spare, maybe to keep in my coat pocket. A link would be appreciated to one or two brands you have had good experience with. That way I don’t need the name if you don’t have the name, just a link to click on to Amazon or eBay. Thank you.
Bone conduction headphones definitely are far superior to the Phonak TV (so-called) Connector IMO.

1 Like

I have unequal loss so headphones just don’t cut it, but if I didn’t, I would try them out. My Resound TV streamer works excellent. Dolby like sound and totally in sync

You are lucky. I gave up on the Phonak one connected to my laptop. Everytime I walked out of the room and back in I had to take off and open up the battery compartment on my right hearing aid to reconnect. Not worth the hassle.

I decided to order these based on the horizontal aspect of the control bar, similar in design to my AfterShokz, so it hopefully will stay out of the way of my BTE H/As.:

1 Like

Thanks!
Any opinions on how OpenMove compares against the Aeropex model? I’m between the two.

Bone conduction devices bypass your outer and inner ears and send sound vibrations directly to your cochlear.

3 Likes

About a month ago, I bought the Shokz Openrun Pro. I am very satisfied with them, they are comfortable to wear. I use bluetooth headphones a lot, when exercising and when working on audio and video projects on my computer. I have a Smart Connect pendant device for my Costco KS 7s, but it doesn’t work very well. Traditional earbud earphones don’t always stay in the ear when I have my hearing aids in, plus I have to remove them if my wife starts talking to me. The bone conduction devices are perfect because they don’t block my ears. I have them set up to automatically connect to both my iPhone and laptop, which they do very well. There is an app which at first I could not get to connect, but a week ago they updated it and now it works fine. It’s helpful, but you can do everything with the buttons on the device, if you don’t want to bother with it.

4 Likes

Depending on your use, and phone (if that’s what you’re connecting them to, you can set the audio balance on the phone to be more L or R. I’ve done that when running with my AfterShokz since i have one ear quite a bit worse than the other.
I like my AfterShokz for running and excercising, and the open ear lets me hear outside sounds too.

1 Like