Bluetooth crackling - Phonak Marvel M90-13T

I have been using the Audeo Marvels for a few months now. The initial pair of hearing aids were sent back to Phonak after I noted that there was a crackling noise during bluetooth phone calls. On both sides of the call - crackling would only happen when either party spoke. Sometimes the crackling would be so loud, it would be impossible for either side to understand what was being said.

So I now have a “refurbished” pair of the same and unfortunately, the issue is still present. I have tried pairing with different phones (Android and IOS) and no luck.

There’s no crackling during streaming.

Any idea of what could be wrong?

No! Can’t help. But i do not think this is a common problem. Likely a problem with either the aids or your phones. Maybe your carrier. Maybe interference from something else.

For me, I had almost given up on phone call until I got the Marvels. Sound is perfect. There is a common problem with the microphone pickup. In noise or outside in wind others have a problem hearing you and I try to limit phone calls to inside and quiet. But “crackling” is new to me and I haven’t seen others here mention it.

1 Like

Thanks @Psych1

The crackling isn’t there without bluetooth though …

I also noted that whilst on bluetooth, the ambient noise at the other end was very much diminished, the sound was very much focussed on speech. When I switched off bluetooth, I could hear way more what was going on in the background and I was wondering if the crackling had anything to do with the “de-noising”.

Finally someone with the same problem I am experiencing for 18 months! My audiologist says there is nothing he can do for me and that Phonak states that it is just something you can expect being an early adopter. Now I am sampling the new Paradise and was very hopeful but the same problem exists. I have tried different phones and except a Nokia 7 they were all Samsung models {Notes) but they all have the same problem. Streaming is just fine bu phone calls almost always are a bad experience for both parties

2 Likes

Try changing the BT bandwidth. In my phonak app, top right menu, my hearing aids, Bluetooth phone calls, wait until buttons shows up, change from fixed to adaptive or vice versa. Try if that brings any improvement.

3 Likes

The Phonak Audeo M90 RT aids I have do not have this crackling issue, never have.

Something that was learned when the Marvel aids first came out is they have to be set upright. That includes acoustics, feedback controls and correct receivers for the hearing loss. Many members have had issues with bad phone reception due to improperly set up aids.

I do have wind issues when it’s blowing hard outside, otherwise the phone calls have been great.

As Blacky said, a bandwidth change corrected an issue for me probably a year ago. It’s all about getting your aids set up correctly.

2 Likes

@Blacky It does not make a difference
@Raudrive I am very interested in your statement. Do you know of any resources that explain what configuration should make the crackling go away. I did notice myself that there was some influence but did not find how they related

1 Like

I second @hearingtracker3, I would also like to know more @Raudrive.

@hearingtracker3 do you mind sharing what your hearing loss is like? I am wondering if it has to do with how sound is processed.

Update:

I changed the bluetooth bandwidth to fixed and the issue has somewhat reduced.

However, even if the other side could hear me well, there was some crackling still on my side though mostly in the right hearing aid. Also, it was interesting that the crackling subsided (for both sides) when I used a clip to move my hair away from the HA. My hair was already tied back so I am thinking the microphone is way too sensitive? Not very conversant with HA technology so an assumption really!

With Both Marvel and Paradise it is critical for the feedback manager to be run by the hearing care provider at fitting in order for phone calls to work properly as it calibrates the sensitivity of the mics during phone calls.

Some providers skip this, so not sure if this may be the issue. The reduction of the bandwidth is another thing to try. I would also say get them to swap out the receivers on the aids as they act as antennae.

4 Likes

Thanks @christo.

Sorry, layperson here. The audiologist did run the feedback manager, is there a specific option for phone calls?

I have a review appointment on Friday so any advice/suggestion much welcome!

I think the suggestion to experimentally swap the receivers is worth pursuing. Phonak may have reused the original receivers with the refurbished hearing aids. Does the Marvel use a different BT radio for streaming as opposed to phone calls? LE vs non-LE?

I wear Signia Pure 7 Nx linked to an Iphone Se. Wearing HA’s for 20 years this is my 3rd pair. My experience with these are basically trouble free.

I shave my head & when I go a few days without, the stubble rubs against my HA’ & makes a crackling noise. I shave and the problem is solved. LOL

When I first got these there were a few minor problems that were easily solved.

Some lessons learned:

When your phone updates, its not unusual for the remote app to also need to be updated. Sometimes you may need to delete & download the app again, or maybe reboot your phone, or maybe turn the aids off and re-link.

Another point of interest:

Blue tooth is inherently weak & environment will cause problems. Metal, RF & microwaves can disrupt reception.

For example- When Im sitting at the dining room table, 8’ behind & to the left is a microwave oven. About 4’ behind and to my right is the refrigerator. When the microwave runs the RF reflects off the refrigerator & cuts out my right HA.

As I earlier mentioned, Ive be wearing HA’s for 20 yrs and they have always been Siemens/Signia. I have found the quality & performance to always be top drawer. Im surprised that few here mention them.

Could it be because they are so trouble free?

1 Like

It is the normal Feedback manager that needs to be rub. Somthing you could try before your visit is removing the master ear’s hearing aid and making a test call that way, while holding the master hearing aid in your hand abour 15inches from your face. If the crackling disappears, then the crackling is likley due to hair just touching the mics. A shorter or sligthly longer receiver might help, otherwise your hairline needs to be trimmed a bit or allowed to grow in order not to touch the mic in the same way.

If you’re not sure which ear is the master try with one in your hand for one call and then the other on another call and see if there is a difference.

2 Likes

Phonak uses the same radio for both streaming but uses the hands-free protocol instead of the audio protocol when phone calls are engaged.

1 Like

Further update:

Thank you everyone for your input which has been very helpful.

Changing the bluetooth bandwidth didn’t lead to immediate changes, however, my Android phone recently updated and I noticed after that the Phonak app would have trouble connecting with the HAs. After restarting my phone a couple of times, the app works more smoothly and the crackling has now disappeared!!!

That is one step forward in making the Marvels work for me. Streaming is absolutely fine but contrary to the majority, I am struggling with speech …

Take notes and tell to your fitter.
Marvels have 3 bt programs - call, and two for streaming - speech and music.

Unless you meant speech speech, without streaming?
Then, they should be adjusted, I mean, if you understand speech in streaming, you should understand a lot with aids too… Notes, whine to fiter :slight_smile:

@Blacky I meant speech speech but actually that info is really helpful because I did ask and I was told there’s only one bluetooth program!

I have done nothing but whine to the fitter since I got the Marvels lol

I have ks9 hearing aids made by Phonak. iPhone SE 2020. iOS 14

I have spent hours with Apple support trying to address the cackling issue to no effect.

I have contacted Phonak support. Performed a reset of network services which was supposed to solve issue. Nope

Talked to Costco fitter. Per them the problem is my particular phone.

The only thing that I have found that WORKS is power your iPhone off and then on each morning. This has worked well for me. I’m a light user so someone on the phone all day may have a different result.