Bluetooth crackling - Phonak Marvel M90-13T

I had something sort of like this. It would happen for me mostly during calls with certain people.
I described it as if it were a blown speaker when the person would talk.

My audi adjusted something and took care of it. I think it was overamping a particular freq, but sadly I don’t know what she did.

Regardless, in m case it wasn’t anything to do with bluetooth…it was more about the actual prescription or feature adjustments

Yesterday I switched between bluetooth bandwidths on the Phonak app to test whether the crackling would return. What is interesting is that initially I noted no change - that is, perfect sound, no crackling. However, today when I made a bluetooth phone call the crackling was there! When changing bluetooth bandwidth settings, the hearing aids need to be switched off and on again (open and close battery compartment for me) before the bluetooth settings come into effect.

I am so glad I read this! The crackling with my new iphone on calls has been driving me crazy. Calls worked perfectly with my old iphone. I switched BT frequency, turned my Marvels on and off and the problem is gone!!

2 Likes

Woohoo!! Glad the thread was of help.

Totally get the driving you crazy part @stoolis !! It was the same for me and my audiologist. I wish Phonak would do more comprehensive user manuals.

Well I get all of these problems, but theyve only just begun with phone calls. Have to turn to loudspeaker on phone. OK with all other streaming. Needs fixing…

Seems to be OK after 2 years of grief with app on android. Essential never to have 2 devices, e.g android phone and ipad with their bluetooth both on at the same time. Then you have to reset everything, sometime delete app and reinstall.

This is very disconcerting. I rely on hands free calls for my work. After spending thousands on the new Paradise P90 HA’s, I expect to have clear audio on my Bluetooth phone calls! Instead, I have loud crackling when anyone speaks. Have you found out anything more about this?

What phone do you have?

@pjmaerz have you tried to switch the bluetooth mode from fixed to adaptive (or vice versa) on the app? Make sure that once you do this, you immediately restart your HAs. It worked for me, bluetooth working absolutely fine now.

Thanks, Demerara,

I can’t find the option in the My Phonak app. Can you point me in that direction?

Many thanks,

Peter

Samsung S20 FE. Brand new. Thanks

@pjmaerz so if you go to the menu (three bars at top right) then go to “My Hearing Aids”, there should be “Bluetooth phone call” … then switch to adaptive or fixed. Open close hearing aids et voila!

Dear Demerara,

You are a life-saver! My audiologist is a Dr. of Audiology, but not technology! I work with tech all day, but was unable to find a solution to this strange issue of Bluetooth working perfectly with streaming from my phone, but not phone calls. And I had just bought my P90’s for the sole purpose of being able to do away with the dreaded ComPilot, of which at least 5 had failed over the last few years. Thanks again for your help. So glad I found this forum!

All best,

Peter

1 Like

Hi Peter,

Glad I could be of help!

I think it’s astounding that Phonak do not include this in the user manual! My audiologist had no idea what to do either and neither did the Phonak tech they called!! It was a mixture of the helpful suggestions I got from this thread and happy accident that had me figure out how to sort the crackling out!!

Enjoy the P90s!

I just bought the Note 20 and had the same concern. I had to return a new iPhone 12 Pro because the scratching was terrible. This wasn’t that bad but changing to Fixed is now very clear.

Thanks!

1 Like

Very true, Demerara,

I spent an hour with my audiologist, attempting to initiate a remote adjustment session. She had Phonak tech on the phone and they were useless on that occasion as well! (My initial setup created a problem with treble, turning my and all others’ “S’s” into “SH”. Maddening in general, and worse since I work on air and as voice “talent” at a radio station. Fixed now and I love the aids, but Phonak needs to up their support game!

Cheers,

Peter

1 Like

Switching to “fixed” solved the problem for my P90 R.

Thanks for the tip for turnin HA off and on after change the settings. I tried to change this setting before but it haven’t affected the problem since i haven’t rebooted my HA.

3 Likes

The iPhone 12 hearing aids crackling/dropping out issue has been fixed by Apple in the IOS 14.2.1 update.

1 Like

I’m thinking about buying the iPhone 12. I have the iPhone 10. And have Phonak marvel HA.

I was afraid to switch to 12 because I had read
That it didn’t work with Marvel.

Do you like your iPhone 12?

You should look at this page on Phonak’s website Check your phone compatibility with Phonak Marvel | Phonak Marvel

It claims compatibility of Phonak Marvel with all of the iPhone 12 models.

My iPhone 12 Pro replaces my old iPhone XS. It’s all fine but you need at least IOS 14.2.1 firmware, so you should update the firmware as soon as you get one (my iPhone 12 Pro came with IOS 14.2 installed, so I updated it even before I paired the hearing aids). Current firmware is IOS 14.3 and that works fine with my Resound LINX Quattros.