Best domes and recievers

Had a hearing test today showing hearing is a lot worse these days. I have phonak paradise p90 aids. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what type of domes and power of recievers will be best for me? Thank you

Thanks for your post…I’m interested, so I’ll follow.

DaveL
Toronto

I think you ought to have hearing aid molds rather than domes. Your hearing is worse than mine and I am not suitable to have domes.

1 Like

Your audiogram suggests closed or power domes, but molds are an option too. Deciding between domes vs molds, consider comfort and fit, as well as convenience and cost.

Try closed power domes first, and try different sizes. The Phonak brand dark grey work for me. I have tried molds, but for me the occlusion with molds was terrible, even with large vents. However, the domes are more fiddly and are less comfortable. This is definitely a case of YMMV. Your experience could be completely different.

I’d say your borderline M/P receiver so most would say go for the extra headroom with P.

Thank you for replies.

Using vented domes and M recievers at present, but that was for a loss of 40-50 dB mostly, so thinking I probably need to increase it somewhere. I need additional amplification of low frequencies for use with a stethoscope, so sounds like I will need a P reciever if its borderline. Really want to avoid moulds if I can, and have got on well with phonak vented domes, so hopefully power domes would be ok too.

I had an audiologist switch me to Power Domes with no explanation. Twice. They didn’t even ask questions about comfort. They were awful. Wrong size?
I switched audiologists.

I am now using closed domes (two tiny holes.) They work really well for me. If I put an index finger in each ear, there’s no increase in volume.

My audiologist switched receiver/wires to mid size. Said I would have more base.

Then he quit. But that’s another story.

You are better off with skeleton hard shell ear molds. It’s possible that your hearing might get worse an year later so an power dome might not work.

1 Like

My first hearing aid was a single Widex in the ear. It actually hurt. I didn’t use it much.

1 Like

This is a good point and I have experienced just that. I went from open domes, to closed, to power, and now custom ear molds. All worked great at beginning but after a good bit of time passed I found myself using the “What?” word too often. All are comfortable.

’

My audiogram isn’t as bad as yours and my audiologist recommended Custom C.Shells, although I chose Custom Slimtips. I’m on 2M receivers. It costs a lot more, but it’s worth it. I get no itching like I did with domes, and streaming is hugely improved.

Peter

1 Like

Probably p receivers (power). You might do well with the double domes. That is what i wear. Everything comes through the hearing aids. I love them!

For that kind of flat loss you’d be able to use the UP receivers with custom molds, a small vent .8 or none if you’re used to the occlusion effect.

Thank you for replies.

Had another in depth hearing test which does show that my hearing has deteriorated. The audiologist who did the test was recommending power domes and power recievers. I’ve got some power domes to try with current settings until I can get to see my audiologist. I’m hating them so far - they are really uncomfortable.

I’m very keen to avoid the need for moulds, and not used to occlusion at all really. I’ve had open and vented domes previously.

1 Like

Slimtips really aren’t like traditional moulds, they sit fully in the ear canal, and are very comfortable, I really wouldn’t be put off by the thought of them.

@PeterH I have been using open domes, and although they are right for my level of hearing loss I am still having some issues with itching and them not staying in place even with anchors. I decided to try some slim tips and am getting them on Wednesday. I was just wondering if there is any difference with streaming sound quality?

@Tealover

Compared to open domes, streaming with slimtips will be a massive improvement, as they’ll keep the lower frequencies in the ear canal :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks @PeterH that’s really good to hear.

You can avoid the “occasion effect” by having your molds made with a vent, at your level of loss they would be a good choice.