Anyone tried Widex Moment vs Signia AX ? (or Phonak Paradise)

My search on YouTube was “Phonak paradise app”

Many thanks! I think the Audi recommending one change at a time may have been Dr. Cliff’s more recent video.

Now that you’ve had the Paradise for a while, are you liking them? If I recall correctly, you said you didn’t get much of a chance to try them out in very noisy environments during your trial. Have you gotten to experience them a bit more in complex situations? Wondering what your take on them is after that, as I was having a bit of difficulties with competing sounds all clashing together in my aids.

I’ve had a pair of demo Signia 7AXs for over 3 weeks now, and thought I’d post my initial impressions for them, compared to my other trials with the Phonaks and Oticons. Since I got these demos at the tail end of my trial with the Paradise Life, I actually had both pairs on hand for a couple weeks, and was able to do some A/B comparisons between the two.

I like these HAs. They’re small, the domes are comfortable once you get used to them, and they don’t move or shift much in my ear (with some of my other aids I’ve trialed, I noticed I’d have to adjust or push the domes back in place a few times a day). I do get significantly more feedback on my worse ear when I put my hand near it compared with the other aids though, but some of that can definitely be adjusted with the audiologist, or if it ultimately bothers me that much, I can get a custom ear mold done.

The sound is clean for me, and the sound processing switches for different environments seems to be more subtle than they are for the Paradise Autosense, which I liked. The downside is that each individual environment is not customizable like they are for the Paradise. In terms of the overall soundscape when you start getting in more complex noise environments, my take is that the Signia sort of takes the middle ground between Phonak and Oticon. The aids do seem to in a sense separate out speech and other noise and brings the speech into the foreground, almost sort of a “layering” effect. Background noises were more distinguishable than the Phonaks, so it was nice to be able to still hear what everything was. I played with the directional mic settings a bit, and found mixed results. In my opinion, they definitely worked better in larger open spaces, and when there are distinguishable people or groups of people that were well separated. There is a noticeable difference when you toggle which direction you want the mics to pick up sound from in that scenario. In an enclosed space that is more densely populated, I didn’t find the directionality as effective, which makes sense since there’s just too much sound bouncing everywhere. That’s not to say I couldn’t understand people or speech though. I unfortunately haven’t been in some of the more complex environments that I put myself in with both the Oticons and Phonaks yet, but hope to be able to soon so I can really see how I feel about being places like busy restaurants.

I went to a concert last weekend, and was pleasantly surprised at how live music sounded (it was Handel’s Messiah, so a small orchestra with a choir and some soloists). Keep in mind I didn’t attend any concerts with the other aids I’ve trialed, so no comparisons can be made, and I no longer have the Phonaks either to do real time A/B comparisons.

Features-wise, I haven’t really utilized the Signia Assistant as much as I’d like, but I like the theory of it being able to make some instant changes if I’m unhappy or having issues with my current environment. It gives at least some option to make real time changes, but not nearly robust as Phonak. One thing I did think was neat was that the rocker switches on either side does different things; one side adjusts volume, the other side toggles between programs. Truthfully, I rarely touch the switches and sort of found this out by accident, but I thought it was still a nice feature. Mask mode helped a bit sometimes, other times it didn’t do a whole lot. I think it depended on the person I was trying to understand.

I started the demo using an Android, and have since switched to an iPhone. The overall BT connection stability is significantly improved on the iPhone. One side doesn’t drop out randomly, so I don’t find myself needing to restart my phone several times a day. However, streaming while walking around still leaves a bit to be desired, as I still do get bit of choppiness issues with the opposite ear of whichever side I have my phone. Much improved over Android, but still some issues, and not a blanket fix which I had hoped for.

All in all, it will likely come down to getting these or going with the Oticon Mores. I still do feel the Mores are a bit more “natural” in balancing all the different sounds, but there are still times where I find myself wishing there was a bit more attenuation that doesn’t even involve speech understanding. But the Signias definitely help understand speech very well in what I’ll classify as “medium” environments, where there is a predominant voice amidst a lot of background sounds, as the voice is very much brought forward.

@Jeffrey, I know you had wanted to get my thoughts on these, so here you are!

1 Like

thanks for the thorough review!

i feel widex is headache seems everything is louder and louder that one can not tolrate.
while signia is calm and understandable ? correct ?

use streamline mic turn on microphone mode or connect with bluetooth

I returned the Signia and went with Widex instead. The Widex sounds far better with music and that’s important to me. Historically Widex also always has been what sounded the most natural to me.

On the everything louder thing. I don’t have that same experience.

thanks for reply but which aid you rate more for speech recognition ?

I wore the Evoke 440 for the last three years, finished a trial with the More1 a week and a half ago and am now trying the Phonak P90. My hearing has deteriorated and the Widex was not cutting it in complex situations. Both the Oticon and Phonak are superior in chaotic noise to the Evoke. BUT neither of them approach the performance of the Widex for music which is why I went with them in the first place.

1 Like

what will be prefrence for complex situation phonak p90 vs oticon more ?
for clear speech undestanding from near and distance
i found that evoke is usefull only one to one only in calm environment not in noisy place due to clash of widex speech enhancer that cut noise but also cut speech but now that white paper reomved more over i found that turning on speech rnhancer and soft level noise reducion simultaneously reduce speech to nearly mute level.

I don’t know yet. I’ve been in the Phonak for less than two weeks.

Hi there

I’m currently trialing as new hearing aids. Started with the Phonak Paradise P90-R for 4 weeks and now switched to test the Signia Pure C&G 7AX.

Had in the last 30 years always Phonak hearing aids with the Phonak Naida S CRT IX as last one.
At the beginning of the Paradise P90-R trial I’ve struggled quite a bit, with the initial settings the noise cancelling was too strong and normal sound classified as “noisy” was heavily reduced/removed. After changes by the audiologist, the second two weeks of the trial were very good. From the battery capacity it always worked out for a full day even if a lot Bluetooth streaming was done. Talking about Bluetooth classic, is quite convenient that you can connect “any” Bluetooth device incl. Laptop etc. without having additional accessorizes. The myPhonak app allows quite some customization with individual programs and balance of the headphones vs microphone while streaming which I like very much. While the classic Bluetooth can be seen as advantage it is also clear that the Paradise platform is already 1.5 years old, won’t support Bluetooth LE Audio ( LC3 codec) so is probably expected to see a new platform release in August/September. Is there a way to check the firmware version resp. which firmware is latest available without the audiologist? Are there already any information available if a new generation is coming?

Since four days I have now switched to trial the Signia Pure C&G 7AX with a good first impression from pure hearing point of view. The Signia app is in comparison with the myPhonak app simpler and allows less customization (didn’t find the option to change the balance of the headphones vs microphone while streaming) while may be more accessible for less technical people via the Signia Assistant. The battery capacity status is inaccurate and it is difficult to see how much capacity is really left but generally the battery capacity is enough for a full day incl. streaming. Here I would definitely consider also the telecoil version which as the bigger battery capacity as a plus, otherwise I never have used the telecoil functionality in the last years. Regarding Bluetooth is supporting Bluetooth LE (MFI/ASHA protocol) with the smartphone, so to connect other devices as a laptop I would require additional hardware. The firmware version can be checked via the Signia app bit is there a way to check which firmware is latest available without the audiologist? Are the any statement available if the Signia AX platform will support Bluetooth LE Audio ( LC3 codec) in the future?

Hello
I have received the following mail on request if the current Signia Pure Ax7 support Bluetooth LE Audio.

A LE Audio standard is not available and can not be upgraded via firmware update.

I hope I could help you further and remain,

Sivantos GmbH
GS AF AD CS SCC
Henri-Dunant-Str. 100
91058 Erlangen, Germany

I would give preference to the Signia Ax because it has a dual processor so it can process some sounds separately. Dr. ClifAud explained that.
But not to go into details, I would recommend watching the video reviews from Dr. CliffAud (Arizona audiologist who has his own youtube channel and is quite popular, but not only that, but most clearly explains the work of hearing aids).

I recommend watching the video for all known hearing aids.
Phonak Audeo or Naida (Paradise)
The Costco KS10 - which is actually similar to the Phonak Audeo Paradise, only the price is much lower. If the price brings you some advantage in choosing a hearing aid.
Signia AX
Oticon More
Widex Moment.

I have heard that Widex is the best for musicians because it gives the best sound quality when playing various instruments.
To combat noise, I would just focus on Phonak and Signia because they are similar in mode of operation.
Signia and Widex have the same owner - there are just some differences in specifications and mode. Widex supposedly used, I forgot. something that gives better sound quality but is therefore more prone to feedback. That’s what an audiologist told me a long time ago and now I can’t remember what it’s about. it is supposed to be an algorithm.

I recently purchased the Signia AX7 and like them quite a bit. I use them primarily for playing guitar and listening to live music. They’re far more powerful than my former, old Naida aids (a low model). I got the telecoil for its 36 hour battery life. It’s very good and reliable.

Thanks for sharing this information. Potential support of Bluetooth LE Audio is therefore not an advantage in the comparison between the Signia 7AX versus the Phonak Paradise P-90R. Little bit disappointing considering that the Signia AX platform is the most recent released one.

Phonak Paradise also does not support Bluetooth LE audio with the LC3 codec

1 Like

Yes, I know that the Phonak Paradise won’t support Bluetooth LE Audio. So they are equal in this regards as written, clarified the phrasing little bit to make this more clear.

2 Likes

I was experiencing this also, (Edit: I wear Oticon More1s.) until I had my audiologist install the Comfort program. It does a great job attenuating high-pitched noises such as the ones to which you refer, as well as voices, when you’ve had enough of speech, for the moment, but stil want to hear what’s happening in the environment.

Thank you for the tip! I have a few weeks left with the non telecoil version of the AX, and am presently still a little torn between which aid I’ll end up with, but I still do have some environments I’d like to put the Signias through. But should I end up with the Mores, I will definitely ask for that program to be added!