Anyone tried Widex Moment vs Signia AX ? (or Phonak Paradise)

Which charger do you use?

Do you have a source for the “historical surveys”?

1 Like

Yes. The first source is an audiologist in 2016 called JustinHIS. I haven’t seen him post recently but this is what he wrote on one post:

"We will know about end user improvement within a month. I have about 100 test subjects that will have Opn on within a few days of availability. New product release timing has nothing to do with performance improvements of competitors. Oticon has the next 4 generations of technology already mapped out. I’m sure the other brands do as well. They release a new product or a new product line because sales on their existing product release slow down below a certain threshold, which may or may not be due to other brands product releases. When Oticon released Alta back at the beginning of 2013, then Nera in the Fall, and then Ria in early 2014, sales on Ria started to eclipse Nera too quickly, and their average selling price dropped too low, and didn’t start to bounce back as quickly as it had in the past. Which was a key factor in why they released the Inium Sense product line in its entirety all at once at the beginning of 2015. If that hadn’t happened, Inium Sense would not have been released. They would have waited until this year to begin the Velox platform release cycle.

End user feedback statistics already support that Inium Sense has a higher user satisfaction rate than any other platform currently on the market, including Primax, including Kirkland, including Synergy, including Unique, including Linx2, including Venture… And Oticon had the largest increase in market share out of any of the big 6 in 2015. But the one big thing that Oticon has never believed in, is shooting for niche markets. Thats why they don’t currently offer a wireless CROS. Thats why they don’t put frequency lowering in ALL of their products. But with a user satisfaction rating in the high 90 percentile (When the next closest competing product is in the low 80 percentile - still good historically), and with integrated bluetooth connectivity growing in popularity and decision-making importance, it is time to give people what they want…

By the end of June I will be able to give some real-world end user feedback from people who have been wearing Alta2 Pros, Unique 440s, Muse i2400, Linx2 9, Audeo V90s, and Primax 7-series."

If you search on JustinHIS he also talks about clinical outcomes somewhere. I could not find it just now.

2 Likes

The 2nd source was a survey amongst hearing tracker audiologists:

2 Likes

Also this one:

It’s frustrating because Hearing Tracker did a recent survey as well, but I cannot find it on their site. It rated Oticon the top for Sound quality. @rasmus_braun - do you know where it is please?

2 Likes

I think this is what you’re looking for:

2 Likes

Yes! Thank you. I knew it was around somewhere.

It’s interesting to read that study but I can’t help but feel it’s somewhat flawed as it surveyed audiologists and not the people that actually wear HAs day to day.

Especially considering the state of the industry where at least here in the Netherlands almost all hearing aid stores have been bought out by hearing aid franchise companies that just exist to funnel you to towards a certain brand which they sell and have made a deal with, at the exclusion of other brands.

In that context the survey that could also be interpreted like Oticon sells best so that’s what most audiologist prefer. But best selling does not necessarily equal best for the end user. Best selling can also be a result of good marketing and audiologist brand deals.

Not trying to be a party pooper or saying its one way or the other, just playing devl’s advocate here :japanese_ogre:

Then there’s also the fact that many audiologist don’t sell all those brands. So if they only sell Oticon and Phonak for example the results likely naturally skew towards those brands having higher scores, further exacerbating a potentially skewed study.

That said, I may be unaware of some intricacies of the study. So If I’m wrong on some points please correct me.

1 Like

No. I disagree for several reasons. The original post from JustinHIS talks about patient satisfaction - this is nothing to do with what an audiologist prefers.

In any case for the later surveys, the audiologists preferences are going to be based on what the patients are telling them - are they not?

The other reasons why I disagree with you is that I have a lot of experience of being dispensed hearing aids from the UK NHS - in several regions, from private audiologists - in several regions and Denmark. All of them - and I mean every one, dispensed either Phonak or Oticon as their primary hearing aids. I have never been offered a Widex, Signia or Resound.

The UK NHS and independent audiologists are not in the business of choosing 2 brands for purely monetary gain. I have heard from several audiologists that either Phonak or Oticon is their go to aid because they have the broadest portfolio of aids and have the best clinical outcomes.

In addition to that I have direct user experience of 3 Oticon aids, dispensed by the UK NHS in 1989, 2014 and 2020. The sound quality of every model has been superb.

Yes it sounds interesting. When he mentions the below and then lists a bunch of HA brands I’ve personally never heard of it’s kind of a headscratcher to me though, leaving me wondering if the major brands I’ve been looking at were included in that study. I guess they were but it’s hard to tell from that text.

I’d certainly hope so and I’m happy with my current audiologist which actually sells all the brands listed in the hearing tracker study (He recommended Signia and Oticon as his top 2 choices).

But all those hearing aid store franchises I don’t trust at all as it’s obvious the’re going for profit by funneling people towards one or 2 brands that they made deals with, instead of trying to provide as a good a service as they can for their customers with a range of choices to best fits each individuals needs.

That said, the results of the study may very well be right. I’m just naturally skeptical of information that potentially has a biased component to it. I’m just the same with investing which I’ve been doing a bit lately, I dig deep and am skeptical by default, until a company can with the available information convince to me that they’re for real and credible.

1 Like

I understand your scepticism, especially where money is changing hands - lol

My scepticism is more rooted in the overblown claims of the hearing aid manufacturers regarding the features of their devices. You’ve seen the youtube videos and glossy presentations, right? They all claimed they had solved the noise problem 10 years ago - but every 3 to 4 years were bringing out new devices to solve the noise problem (which had already been solved by the previous generation).

As I said, my confidence in Phonak and Oticon stems from a combination of personal experience and trust in certain audiologists who I have met along the way and recognised they knew what they were talking about.

That said, I do acknowledge that there have been some very good anecdotal reports of Widex and Resound. I am unsure about Signia - but coming from Siemens, I know it is a premium brand. And I’m guessing the latest aid is the result of the recent Widex/Sivantos merger.

3 Likes

I had try the Oticon more1 and paradise 90,signia ax7.I think signia is better than p90 in the tranquil surroundings and noisy environment .The signia ax7 clarity of the sound is very good. Oticon more1 and ax7 sound the same.But the ax7 more function than oticon more1.So i had buy a pair of p90 and a pair of ax7.

1 Like

I’m generally skeptical of biases in both sellers and the manufacturers. I generally trust actual users though.

It’s the reason why since a year or 2 I’ve been appending “reddit” to a lot of my Google searches. If I don’t do that in many cases it’s the same as appending BS to my search query as that’s what you often get :grinning:, especially if it’s a search query where a bunch of solely financially motivated sites are trying to rank for affiliate clicks.

That’s good to hear, I value user experience and I trust that you know your audiologists knowledge and intentions.

I did some dedicated searching on the forums here looking for user reports on the latest major brand’s flagship models. Especially comparing Signia AX to Oticom More as I was trying to decide between those 2 specifically.

The user reports I found on the Signia AX were more glowing and convincing to me. I think in total I found about 8 of such reports. For the Oticon More I found comparatively little. Could make me just a bad searcher, but it gave me a certain impression, like hmm, sounds like I definitely should give the Signia AX a try.

But since I’ve found out that HA experience is very subjective also and that I generally like an open sound too, I think it’s best to try all 4 flagship models that I’m interested in. Still trying to coordinate that with my audi in a way that doesn’t drive up his cost to much or drive him bonkers with all the additional work that comes with it.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing your experience. Good to hear from someone tried 3 of the models I’m currently looking at.

About: “So i had buy a pair of p90 and a pair of ax7”.

Do I understand right reading that as you purchased both? If yes, I’m curious, what made you decide to do buy both instead of just choosing one?

(Pay him for his work?)

Yes, that was what I’m going to propose. Usually appointments are included free of cost here when purchasing a new hearing aid. Aftercare is too.

But since I’d like to try quite a few HAs which is out of the norm and costs them more time than what’s the norm so I think it’s fair to pay them for that extra time.

1 Like

Yes.I buy the phonak p90 in the last October.But it is not very good in the noisy environment.But it can connect to my macbookpro.I buy the signia ax7 in September this year.It is very clarity in the noisy enviroment. I can talk with a lot of friends in the noisy enviroment. But the signia ax can’t connect to my macbookpro.

2 Likes

I agree with the post above. I just gave up on the Signia AX7 bluetooth connection–but I didn’t try very hard. I still bought the aids because I really like their performance otherwise.

@LawyerFL (sorry if this double tags you, I’m not sure what happens when you quote from a different thread onto this one)

I was digging through an old thread again since I am more or less demo-ing and/or trialing the same 3 aids you did earlier this year. I should have asked earlier since my Paradise Life trials are ending soon, but would you mind sharing some of the videos you found helpful with the self-programing and tweaking? I like fiddling with the settings too but have quickly found I don’t really know what I’m doing and am just fully experimenting and likely changing too many variables to grasp how it’s affecting the auditory process.

I just searched YouTube, and I’ll copy links for the videos I found helpful. But there are several more and each one tends to add a helpful tip.
This is from a user: https://youtu.be/PYGg46_P24E
From an Audi: https://youtu.be/rit8nVs73HM

There was one more I couldn’t find where the Audi recommended making only one change at a time, which may be helpful.

I learned from this video that I need to update my app: https://youtu.be/9Vj93rjZWCI

I’m still experimenting and learning myself. If you find a better resource, please share it!

Mary