Ready to upgrade from Oticon Opn 1. Should I select Oticon More or Phonak Paradise?

The Paradise are gradually sounding better. I don’t know if my brain is adapting or if my fine tuning skills are improving. Zoom session voice clarity was fine today. Otherwise been home in the quiet as my husband has a bad cold so we are staying not eating out. So not the best time to test out these HA.

2 Likes

I am trying the Signia 7ax aids, actually one aid and Cros in the other.I found your comments very interesting. Would like to try the Signia assistant but not available in the Signia app? Is that something that my Audi must approve or turn on?
Thanks

I’m glad I could be some help. the Hearing Assistant was in my app so I don’t know if it was added in by my audi or not. My audi was more excited at the focus feature, which I didn’t find particularly helpful. But we are all different and you may really like that.

1 Like

Here Is a good review of the Signia AX

1 Like

https://www.makeuseof.com/signia-pure-charge-go-review/?utm_source=hearingtracker.com&utm_source=Hearing+Tracker+Updates&utm_campaign=d9c1649198-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2020_05_07_02_42_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_790a5b8263-d9c1649198-452567197

1 Like

As to the Paradise demo, I’m starting to like them a lot. It takes longer to learn to use the app. I found some good videos which helped. And using the app, I was able to to create a program that made for my 2 yr old grandson my not being able to understand most of what he said, to fully understandable!!

I’m also enjoying the fully hands free telephone. It’s great to not need the phone for the speaker and being able to answer or hang up by tapping one’s ear.

I’ll try the More next, but it has a high bar!

1 Like

I’ve used hearing aids for more than 15 years.

• first one was a disaster; I used it for about 10 years (I used it infrequently. It was awful and hurt!)
  • My first pair of hearing aids was a delight! I had a source that introduced me to a wonderful audiologist who was remarkable! Her hearing aids really helped. But she sold her business! I jumped ship; the new owner was a parasite.
  • I asked the person that helped who I should go to…but the new audiologist was adequate, not gifted.
  • My second pair are a disaster. The audiologist has made them worse with every adjustment, and every visit.

I’ve found another audiologist who is promising. As my hearing aids are due exposure to excessive noise at work, I have submitted a claim for new hearing aids.

My claim is for a pair of new Phonak Paradise HA’s.My fingers are crossed

Dave

Here’s a copy of a hearing test done by my (fired) audiologist who sold me the ha’s and set them up numerous times.

I have a new audiologist who is very helpful.

Oops…I don’t know how to add a photo.

When you select reply…
Look for the little arrow up icon across the top of the reply box.
That will let you upload things.

@DaveL: Here’s the link:

https://www.hearingtracker.com/audios/new

I found my profile and added it there; I hope that works.
I registered here about a year ago…I’m only learning my way around.

About hearing aids…

I had one Widex a long while ago; it was so poorly fitted in my ear that I seldom wore it. Listen Up Canada broke it servicing it.

I had 2 Phonak hearing aids–behind the ear. Dispensed by Lydia Kreuk. Amazing audiologist, who retired.
The 2 replacement Phonaks I got next are absolutely awful. Peel Audiology dispensed them. They never corrected their settings, and always made them worse.

I have a new audiologist. He shows real promise.

The way you tried to post your audiogram didn’t work for you, Dave. It just gave you a funny avatar. Try the link I gave you again. It’s pretty simple, although you do have to plug in some numbers.

Speaking of funny, your profile says you’ve been a member since November 2009 - 12 years …

The picture you’ve added of your audiogram is way too small for use to read.

Across the top of the page find “forum”
Select that and then select hearing test.
You can ad your audiogram to your profile there. It will show under your avatar like many of us have done. The little dome shape thing on our avatar shows we have added the audiogram to share with others.

@SpudGunner,

That’s when I bought my Mac computer. I likely joined back then…

@DaveL: LOL I’m still using the MacBook I bought in '07 to run GarageBand!

1 Like

I filled my hearing test results in…I hope they are there. I searched but didn’t see them.
Test was done in April 2021…by Peel Audiology.

1 Like

Yes, @DaveL, it worked well this time. I’m no audiologist, but I’m pretty sure that your loss is quite “aidable”. Thanks for posting the audiogram - it should help other members as they endeavour to help you.

A good audiologist that you can work with should be able to get you “dialed in” easily.

I appreciate your comment. I bought them from Peel Audiology. They had almost 3 years of repeat visits to set them up. That was my last visit—my annual.

I really miss hearing music.

Let’s see how my new audiologist does in his requests for m. 1. Early replacement (normal is after 5 years) And 2. replacement with a high tech hearing aid.

DaveL

@: Here’s a frank suggestion that may ruffle your feathers, but it’s well meant.

Your current stats say you’ve only put in 2 hours reading on the site. I think that the site and the subject matter will take much more than that if you want to learn to navigate it.

The point I wish to make by citing numbers is that this subject is very complex. The less you know about hearing loss/hearing aids, the more you’re at the mercy of whatever audiologist you choose to inform you, either appropriately or inappropriately. You need to know about these things to be able to separate the wheat from the chaff that is going to get blown at you.

Moreover, the less conversant you are about the subject, the greater are the chances that your audiologist will misunderstand you and that you will miss it when it happens.

Misunderstandings are the foundation of missed expectations, interpersonal friction, and disappointment. It does matter what audiologist you choose - they’re not all created equal - however, you can maximize your audi’s chances of giving you great service by becoming a better-informed client. Perhaps it’s neither realistic nor fair to expect them to do all the work, even though their prices are dear!

So, instead of thinking about your upcoming exchanges with your audiologist as ultimata to be met, you might get better results by thinking in terms of: let’s see

1. How well I can explain to them why I urgently need to upgrade my hearing instruments, and
  2. How good an understanding can I impart to them of what performance features I value in a hearing aid, and what’s “fluff”, even though I admit that my knowledge of what’s available today is incomplete.

That approach will empower them to use their professional knowledge in the way that is of greatest benefit to you. It’s fine to throw down the gauntlet: I do it regularly. But it’s not usually a great tactic to use as a first pass.

Maybe, for your first pass at it, you can try to get the audiologist wanting to help you by clearly outlining your needs and expectations, and try to develop a healthy working relationship aimed at getting results: performance for you, and business for him.

Please don’t brand me as inconsiderately blunt. I’m just sharing with you some things I have gotten wrong in the past, and ways that I’ve learned to obtain better results.

I really am on your side, and rooting for you. I wish you nothing but the best results .

3 Likes