Any "set it and forget it" people on here?

funny thing, i was diagnosing my problem with hearing devices. I use the app to pinpoint the problem, after that i reported it to my audiologist and now it is fiddle free!

I now leave it at default and use it as a monitor check on things, like what AI Scene classifer program it is using and battery check, and mute microphones if i am streaming…

3 Likes

I would probably do the same if being able to monitor the auto-sense information was available in the app, the app is basically useless and I can see the same information as the app in the iPhone control panel. Well all but the equalizer, and the MoreSoundBoost which I don’t need to use anymore.

I tend to be this type of HA wearer. The only time I fiddle is when I am switching from one paired device to another: phone to computer, phone to tablet, etc. Otherwise I pretty much leave them on the auto setting. I am currently wearing KS9s and simply leave the programing set to automatic. It works for me.

2 Likes

I think I ge.t to join this camp. I rarely stream anymore. I put the aids on in the morning and leave them on all day. I don’t mess with the volume. Roger and I don’t get along at all. I had the streaming removed from the automatic settings and when I stream, I use the control button on the aid to activate/deactivate it. The app is lacking to say the least, and I never use it.

I would love to join that club of content hearing aid users! In a perfect world I would adjust the microphone sensitivity while streaming music on public transport so I don’t get all the background noises enhanced and ignore my aids for the rest of the day.

1 Like

I will say this if I am listening to Audiobooks I will mute my hearing aids microphones even here at home due to 3 very playful noise puppies.

I’m about 95% set and forget.

My Widex is set with 4 programs controlled by the external button: Universal, Music, Comfort, and a custom setting that mutes.

I also have an app on my phone.

1. I use the Universal nearly all the time.
  2. I used Comfort, a lower amplification level, when I used to work in a noisy factory environment. It lowered sound levels for me. Now that I’m retired, I might have to get that setting deleted and replaced with something else.
  3. I had the custom “mute” setting programmed for convenience. If I need to hold my aid (I only use one) in my hand for any reason like getting a haircut, or doctor checkup, this prevents squealing feedback while I hold it. The only way to turn off this aid is to open the battery door, and then I risk losing the battery. This setting just turns the volume way down to minimum.
  4. The Music setting is something I use, sometimes, at a movie theater. But I don’t use it very often.

The App allows customization, but it gets reset whenever the device battery is removed. Pulling out my phone, opening the app, setting whatever needs setting, and then putting the phone away is a lot of trouble, so I don’t use it.

That’s the long way of saying that I rarely change anything. If I do, I just scroll through the 4 presets on my aid.

On My More1 aids I have the default program, which automatically syncs to the needed settings for the environment I am in including music, noisy environments like restaurants, driving, and even riding my motorcycle. The only change I make other than volume is when I want to stream the TV to my aids then I select the TV adapter.

I think if you have accessories, one can’t really be in the “set it and forget it” camp. Besides wanting to turn down volume or turn off my HA’s for excessive noise or noise not amenable to suppression, if I want to use my TV streamer, my remote mic, or my Phone Clip+ to stream from classic BT devices, I’m using my phone app to chose which of those accessories to employ and to adjust the balance between streaming and external mics. I should imagine if one is big on Roger devices, one can’t really be in the set it and forget it camp, either. I’m looking at you, @Zebras! :slightly_smiling_face:

I’m definitely a set it and forget it guy. Costco was able to program my aids to my hearing loss (as per my audiogram on here) and I’ve never been happier with my KS9’s.

@cvkemp: How does this “automatic syncing” occur, Chuck, and how can I get my More1s to do this, too?

For most hearing impaired users looking to correct speech issues, the General program on aids may be fine.

For users that are musically active, IE: musicians, or audiophiles, a dedicated Music program is a must.

Someone who attends frequent meetings, and are facing a speaker, are inclined to favor a Lecture program.

All the more power to those who can accept a “set it and forget it” m.o., but for those of us that require fine tuning, and complete control over our listening environment, the use of multiple programs, and either button presses, remote controls, streamers, or the dreaded APPs, are necessary.

3 Likes

I don’t know what else to call it, the processor automatically seeks the correct settings

@cvkemp: I don’t think any of the settings in my HAs change after my audi has disconnected them from Genie2 and his NoahLink, Chuck.

I could be wrong, so I’m tagging @Volusiano .Ta-daaah!

Then how else do you explain the fact the aids work with all environments
Oticon calls it Environmental Adaptation, Phonak calls it AutoSense

@cvkemp: I had Unitrons, which had the equivalent of AutoSense, and they definitely did switch programs. (And never to the right one, IMO.) I’ve never seen my More1s move from the program I’ve selected.

I’m sure that the AI incorporated into More’s VAC+ adaptive algorithms accommodate, according to the soundscape, but mine have never switched programs. But that one program will handle 95% of my situations.

How do I explain it? I don’t - I’m asking you, the IT Engineer. But changing settings? I’m not sure I’m ready to buy that. But maybe it’s just semantics.

You are missing the point of how they work in Environmental Adaptation the processor within the aids does it behind the scenes automatically. Every set of aids I have had for the 18+ years I have been wearing aids had done it. My first Oticon aids I had was slow enough I could hear them switch. my OPN1 aids, I can hear the switch until my audiologist made an adjustment than either speeded up the switch or silenced the switch. So yes they do. How the heck else is it possibly to walk into an extremely noisy place and not have the aids overwhelm everyone. You really need to dig into the technical details.

@cvkemp: No, I don’t. I just wear them and don’t try to explain how they work. I’m happy that they work for me, Chuck.

1 Like

Let me clarify what Chuck said based on my understanding.

Let’s say Chuck has a default program 1, then let’s say his program 2 in the More is My Music, and program 3 is Speech in Noise, and program 4 is Tcoil (all just hypothetical here because I don’t really know what Chuck has on his More 1), then if Chuck is using program 1 by default and he attends a live music concert or crank on the music at home, the Oticon More will NOT transition from the default program 1 to the My Music program 2. By the same account, if he goes to a restaurant and he’s in program 1, his More aids will NOT switch to the Speech in Noise program 3 once inside a restaurant. If Chuck attends church and it has an audio loop for the tcoil, if Chuck doesn’t manually change his program to the Tcoil program 4, his More 1 aids will remain in program 1.

But as long as Chuck is in the default program 1 and he’s happy with it in all kinds of environment (which is VERY feasible because of how Oticon designs their HAs like that), then it’s a set-it-and-forget-it thing because the default program 1 serves his every need for listening to music, being at home, at restaurants, outdoors, etc. Basically his program 1 makes all the adjustments within the same program to fit his various needs. But it does NOT automatically go from 1 program to another inside the More.

To clarify further, other brands that do some kind of environment autosense (like Phonak’s AutoSense feature), they will automatically switch from one program to another program if their AutoSense feature determines that the new environment is more suitable for a different program available in the aids. But the Oticon More will NEVER automatically switch from one program to another like the other brands’ Autosense does. The Oticon user MUST MANUALLY do the switching between the programs themselves.

Having said that, the Oticon is not considered to be deficient compared to other brands because of this. The Oticon approach is that they continually monitor the environments, and if they detect a change in the environment, they STAY within that program and automatically adjust the parameters within that program continuously to make it more effective. For example, if you’re in program 1 in the More (which is the general purpose program) and you go into the restaurant, the More will migrate its Neural Noise Suppression from a lower value to a higher value to help suppress the noise and improve the speech clarity, based on the range that you allow this NNS parameter to operate within.

For example, you set program 1 to have 2dB NNS max in Easy environment and 8dB max for NNS in Difficult environment, when you’re at home, the noise suppression would be between 0 to 2dB. Perhaps if you’re alone in your office, it’d be set to 0dB NNS. If you’re in the kitchen with your wife and kids talking now and then, perhaps it’ll set to 2dB NNS. Now you go into a restaurant, if it’s a relatively slow time, but enough for the More to consider that you’re now in a difficult environment, then perhaps it’ll set the NNR to 4dB. Then as it gets busier and noisier, perhaps it’ll go up to 6dB, then at peak time, it’ll go up to 8dB which is the max value you allow it to go up to.

Now you ask then what’s the difference between the default program 1 and the built-in Speech in Noise program then? Well, perhaps the difference is that your audi only sets the NNR max in your default program 1 to 8 dB, but in the Speech in Noise program, your audi goes up to the top notch of 10 dB. So maybe most of the times you’re in a restaurant, the top NNR of 8 dB is enough for your hearing to function satisfactorily. So you stay in program 1 either at home or at a restaurant most of the time → it’s a set it and forget it situation. But maybe once in a while, you find yourself in an extra crowded restaurant and what you have in program 1 of 8dB NNS max is no longer good enough. Then that’s when you’d have to manually switch to the Speech in Noise program 2 to get that extra help from the 10 dB NNS max value.

Hope this clarifies things.

3 Likes

@Volusiano : Okay. It’s for Chuck @cvkemp to confirm, but I think this must be what he meant. If so, then I agree that More is changing settings.

(Thanks for your input, MrV)