Any "set it and forget it" people on here?

Hi. Just wondering if there are many people like myself who do not fiddle about with apps and adjustments in general, but instead let the aids do the work they were designed for ? The only adjustment I use is a remote to change the general programming supplied by the audiologist…restaurant…music…normal.

5 Likes

YES!!

I tried the myPhonak App but wanted Aids that I didn’t need to keep adjusting.

Now my Aids are perfect!

The only program I need to manually go too, is telecoil. All other programs are automatic.

I don’t adjust settings like Speech Focus or even volume.

2 Likes

@Dogday: YES HERE, too - and Chuck @cvkemp will probably join our camp, also.

I wear genuine Oticon ®️ brand More1 devices and usually use DSL v.5(a).

1 Like

Yes, I can’t remember the last time I opened my Resound 3D app to adjust anything in 3.5 yrs. I see my AuD once a year and that’s it. She adjusts my HA with REM settings and I just leave it.

The only time I go into my CI app is to check my battery level. Or when I reboot my iPhone, for some reason the stupid Nucleus Smart app automatically changes from my scan program to music program. The music program is just static so I need to put it back to scan, my everyday program.

If your AuD does a good job you shouldn’t need to alter or adjust settings. But not all AuD’s are experienced enough at settings/adjustments correctly the first time sadly.

1 Like

Maybe “set it and forget it” types don’t do a lot of manual work? There are some workday things that can be incredibly noisy, whether you’re a normal hearing person or an HA wearer. That’s why I like wearing occlusive molds and having HA’s that I can control with my Apple Watch. For things that I know aren’t going to be too bad, I can just turn off my HA’s with a tap of a “complication” on my Apple Watch face (or turn down volume and turn up noise control to the absolute max). For really ear-splitting noises (John Deere riding mower from early 1990’s, chain saw, circular saw, nail gun, etc.), I will take out my HA’s, insert noise-blocking foam plugs in my ear canals, and wear 30 to 35 dB noise absorbing earmuffs over the ear plugs. I figure turning off my HA’s is worth about 10 to 15 dB in sound reduction. It would be interesting if audis could “certify” how much ear protection you can get from minimally vented custom molds. But I don’t live in a “set it and forget it” world. Vacuuming would be the sort of thing that I just turn my HA’s off and don’t bother with the ear plug - ear muff routine.

3 Likes

I basically leave mine in the setup it came with. I will use the noise reduction setting when in a restaurant environment. With all the problems with the app I have been very happy how easy it is to use the complication on my Apple Watch to change programs when needed. I’m using the Oticon More 1’s and I’m still on V1.3 I have found no reason to get something that is working as designed a software upgrade. Especially after seeing all the post about the quirks of V1.4

My aids are set it and forget it not because I can’t make adjustments but because I don’t find a need to. The only time I may tweak it if I’m streaming music. But my loss is profound which plays into that. There’s only so much adjusting I can do.

Yep! I’m in the “Set it and Forget it” camp without a doubt. Lumity Life aids with custom molds. In the short time I have had them, (12 days) have not had any need to manually change from the Automatic setting.

Fortunate to have and Outstanding Audi…she hits the mark time after time.

1 Like

@FivePoint: And I think you’ve put your finger on the most important element in the formula for better hearing.

1 Like

All I have is the default program. I use the remote instead of the app to make volume adjustments, to mute the aids and to use the TV Adapter

1 Like

@cvkemp: Same here, Chuck, and the remote even has replaceable batteries! It’s dandy!

1 Like

The only thing I keep fiddling is volume control.

The rest is just forget it and let’s HA do the jobs.

I use App to change the program and volume because I don’t want button on my HAs gone bad. Think mouse double clicking, smartphone ghost clicking etc.

1 Like

If I’m using the Roger in a noisy environment I’ll manipulate the settings in the myPhonak app and sometimes I’ll bump the volume, which I seem to have to do more often lately. on the default app, but other than I leave the settings alone.

If I am in extremely noisy environment I sometimes lower the volume, if I am in that extremely noisy environment and know I won’t be in a conversation I may even mute my aids.

Yes, set it and forget it with my Phonak Paradise aids. I do have a Roger device which I use infrequently. Also replaceable batteries all the way.

Sane here. i don’t have time to fiddle around with hearing devices settings on the app or the will power to do self fitting as well…

1 Like

re: Roger on, whenever I use it I always feel like super spy :sunglasses:, does work like a charm

I rarely have to use the myPhonak app to adjust my Lumity hearing aids or to manually change a program. Autosense 5.0 seems to get it right almost every single time. I only use the app to check battery life and to mute the microphones on the hearing aids when streaming. IMHO, the need to constantly fiddle with the app is an indicator that the hearing aids are not adjusted properly or working for your hearing loss profile.

Jordan

2 Likes

@ssa : Chuck @cvkemp and I (if I may speak for him) have reached the same conclusion. I bring his name into the picture because he has been relentless at getting his devices properly adjusted, and it has given him fiddle-free engines. I’ve replicated his experience.

2 Likes

Yup. Its kind of ironic. My last HAs were IIC and I could not change the program or volume (or anything else) without a separate remote. When I got my current HAs (Oticon More 1’s) several months ago, I was specifically looking for something that I could adjust without a separate remote, because I was tired of needing to carry around (and keep charged) another device. But now that I have these, I have not had the need to change programs or even volume. Most days I put them in and don’t change anything before I take them out ~15 hrs later. (I do have a music program, but am not a big music person).

1 Like