Any hearing aids simple to pair?

The greatest hearing aid in the world is useless if it difficult to use. Especially pair phone, app etc?

Does a simple to use set of hearing aids for profound hearing loss exist or are they all the same ?

My Phonak are better at pairing than my Oticon.

2 Likes

I think it depends on the smartphone that is being used, I once said I would never have an android phone with my aids because it was unrealistic, but since I got my Samsung S23 I haven’t had an easier phone to pair to and to stay connected with, I have the More1 aids by the way.

1 Like

Pairing my Phonaks with the app is sometimes laborious, but pairing with my Zenfone and my TV Bluetooth transmitter is automatic and almost flawless. Streaming is very important to me- Like I said before, when your Phonaks are well-tuned you don’t need the app at all anymore.

Most MFi aids with Apple devices. (Though there are some exceptions.)

Conventional Bluetooth pairing of Sonova products with lots of phones.

Android vs. most manufacturers: sometimes great, sometimes instantaneous, sometimes massively hit and miss.

2 Likes

Thanks. Are the Oticon directions significantly different or more complicated than the Phonak? I’ve only had Phonak aids so don’t know if the pairing is basically the same for most. H.A.

I use Phonak Naida P90, a Iphone SE2 (2020) model, and almost no issues with pairing, range, dropping out or quality for anything casual.
-edit: Not talking about the app. I do not like the app and do not use it at all, I almost feel like the app is buggy and causes issues.

Sometimes if I’m riding a bike, running, or motorcycle it will occasionally drop out unless the aid and phone are close together which bothers me. Seems like some days I just have to put the phone in my top backpack pouch. I haven’t found a reason yet. Some specific places seem to do it more than others and I feel like it just has to do with location and interference. I also noticed an improvement after replacing my very old and weak phone battery. I’ve also noticed that it seems to drop out more if I put the phone in the same pocket as my wallet which has a magnet and RFID so it’s probably blocking the bluetooth I assume. But if I’m just sitting and hanging out, at TV, computer, light walking, bus or something, zero issues. My aids are paired to both my phone and an anker bluetooth transmitter for headphone jack situations.

You have to go to settings, accessibility, then hearing devices to connect as most of the time, they don’t automatically connect.

Not 100% on Android.

Phonak is just settings and Bluetooth when 10% of the time they don’t connect.

Android pairing is much different from Apple MFI. I am not an apple fan, but I just switched to an iphone because the ReSound app is much more reliable for my uses on IOS than it was on my Samsung S20 5G.

I have Apple MFI devices, my trying to pair the 3 is a right royal pain in the butt! This morning somehow my Resound Enzo 3D became disconnected from my iPhone. Hence it wouldn’t stream at all. If I “forget this device” my CI gets unpaired as well, so I couldn’t do this. I spent hours trying to pair my aid, through accessibility I couldn’t do it. In the end in total frustration I turned BT off and on, and woohoo I succeeded my aid reconnected.
I’m not technically minded at all… In fact I hate trying to do it in case I totally jigger all my connections.

1 Like

@Deaf_piper Something to know here:

Pairing is the process of introducing your hearing aids to your phone, sort of “hi you guys, you are going to be working together a lot”. You shouldn’t need to forget the pair and re-pair very often at all, if ever.

But getting the paired hearing aids to stay connected to your phone is another thing. It’s not uncommon for hearing aids to become disconnected from a phone if you move away from it for a while and it doesn’t always work that it reconnects automatically.

So your hearing aids were connected this morning but one or both aren’t now, a few hours later? What to do? First thing to try is turn off Bluetooth on your phone and after a half minute turn Bluetooth on again. If that doesn’t work, then leave Bluetooth on and restart your hearing aids (by opening and closing the battery doors or putting them into the charger for a few seconds or using the power button on the heating aids if you have one). Let them restart and they should reconnect like they do first thing in the morning.

If even that doesn’t work, then restart your phone by turning it right off, not just by turning the screen off, restart it and once it has restarted then restart your hearing aids again if they haven’t already connected.

Hope some of this helps!

2 Likes

Thanks @david.hendon. It can be a little different to link and pair when I’m bimodal. Especially if I lose the “link”. If I lose the “link” my 3 devices have to go back into the Audi computer to be relinked and then paired again.

Why Cochlear made it that the aid and CI have to be linked to stream bilaterally I don’t know.

Yes I saw after I posted that you are bimodal. But nevertheless the distinction between pairing and connecting is still the same as I wrote.

2 Likes

Turning Bluetooth off and then on again certainly would be a lot easier, than, as you experienced, hours of frustration tinkering with this and that. So thank you for posting the turn off - turn on with Bluetooth worked for you and hopefully will for the rest of us too. IF I can just remember or call to mind the steps. Sometimes my brain seems like a jumble, like one of those things for Bingo with all the balls flying round until one pops out like B12. I have all kind of little balls (i.e. thoughts) in my head but sometimes the one I grab hold of or that comes to mind of is not the one I want like “I 29” BINGO!.

Getting off track - thanks for the info.

Yes. I paired my Phonak Paradise P90Rs with my Samsung Galaxy A5 Android phone (easy-peasy) when I got the HAs 2.5 years ago and have never had to do a re-pair.

1 Like

To answer the OP’s question, I paired my Widex Moment 330s (RIC) with my iphone SE (2020) 2 years ago and I have never had to re-pair since.

1 Like

Think sometimes it’s the phone fault and not the HAs as when I had my iPhone SE 2020, my HAs never didn’t connect in the mornings.

Now I’m on iPhone 12, they don’t always connect in the mornings although it’s still pretty good.

1 Like

The more complexity you add to pairing HAs — phone(s), computer(s), tablet, watch, TV streamer, remote mic, HA phone app, etc — the greater the likelihood of problems, which are almost always fixable. This runs across all HAs I’ve ever tried. If you want something that will rarely break, pair and connect only to one phone and call it a day.

2 Likes

Lucky Man! Good for you.

I was attempting to get some guidance from support from manufacturers/distributors of my Android phone and quickly realized (at least for me) they were going to be no help. I couldn’t begin to understand the info that comes up when asking for assistance.