Any clever ways for guys to carry spare batteries

I have not had my hearing aids for long but I’ve already experienced being out and about with no spare batteries. I bought some Duracell 312’s that came in a thin plastic case which I’m sure I could carry in my pocket or put in the center console of my car but I was wondering if there was any better, more clever, way of maintaining a spare while you’re out and about. If I leave the batteries in my car should I be concerned with heat since I live in Florida? Are there any kind of keychain cases made for spare batteries that I could put on my key ring? Any advice would be appreciated.

Costco gave me one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/Rayovac-Hearing-Aid-Battery-Caddy/dp/B00DSPF6Y4/ref=sr_1_3_a_it/139-7406592-6954300?ie=UTF8&qid=1510422762&sr=8-3&keywords=hearing+aid+battery+case+keychain&dpID=31yioqpreCL&preST=SY300_QL70&dpSrc=srch

It’s an inch or so long and less than half an inch high. Pretty unobtrusive in a pocket. I put 2 in each compartment.

Before when Costco batteries are in flat packages (not the rotating kind), I’d just cut out a rectangle of 2 small enough to carry with me inside my wallet. Now they only sell the rotating kind so if you don’t want to take the whole thing with you, you’ll need to use something like what z10user2 suggested.

Not sure about leaving batteries in the car. Not too worried about the moisture, but more about the heat. But they’re cheap enough to try out to see if it’s doable or not.

My bias would be to carry on person rather in car. Unless you’re super organized, too easy to let them sit in car for a year or so and not be any good when you need them.

Multiple ways to deal with the overall issue. Some people know how long they last and just change routinely. They don’t ever have them run out. I try to be aware of where I’m at in the discharge cycle and if I think I’m at risk, I’ll bring my 8 pack with me. Or one can always carry spare–just be sure to rotate use.

Actually, I already have a waterproof metal pill case on my key ring but if I put two batteries in that kind of case is there any thing that one can do to prevent the batteries from coming in contact with each other or discharging in some way or simply becoming contaminated in some way?

I’ve found a wallet that has a perfect space to carry a pack of 6 batteries as well as my money.

1 Like

I’m with z10user2. That’s the best solution I’ve come across.

It’s not perfect, because once in a while mine will come apart in my pocket. I’ve lost a few batteries and once even thought I’d lost the little drawer, but I found it. The next time my wife went to Costco, she went to the hearing aid counter and they gave her two more.

I put two batteries in a small zip-close bag and tuck it in my wallet. When the current pack of batteries is empty, I use the wallet batteries and then refill it from the new pack.

LIke @z10user2 & @TexasBob I use a little case. Got last ones from Lloyds, they are ~ 1" x 0.5" x 0.25". whch looks like it might be a little thinner.

BatteryHolder

I keep it in a vinyl change pouch in my pants pocket. So far I’ve only mistakenly given them away once with spare change.The recipient must have been surprised. (Canada has $1 & $2 coins not bills, so having a change pouch helps).

At home, I keep the HA case on the end table by the TV, it has a little hidden slot in it to hold 2 batteries.behind the grey tool in this picture.

I replace from either whenever the aids tell me they need it, then fill that from my supply that way I’m rotating my replacement batteries with fresh stock.

Or even better, buy 6 cheapie 312 batteries for $2.58 and get a free battery case:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/122603367026

I keep this on my keychain.

Plus $5.95 economy international shipping + >30% currency exchange works out to over $11 for your Canadian friends. Not a good deal for us.

HalfEar: Well…yes…as always for us…but the OP is apparently from the US as is apparently Rev_Hugh unless he just felt like linking to that website in his profile :slight_smile: .

I have found that when I carry spare batteries on my person, they get warm and eventually the sticky plastic covering loosens and comes off. I have not tried this with the PowerOne brand, however.
Has anyone else found this to be true?

First of all, go to Amazon.com and look up “Hearing Aid Battery Caddy”. There are several brands that attach to a key ring. Instead of chaining it to my keys, I personally chained mine to a couple of USB Thumb Drives and an electronic office door key that I carry with me all the time in my pocket.

Secondly, get to know that average life of your brand of battery, then get in the habit of changing them at specific scheduled times before they run out, rather than trying to get all the goodie out of them. Even with spares in your pocket, it’s far better to waste a bit of battery than to have to interrupt a conversation for an unscheduled battery change.

My older Pure700 aids use 312 batteries and with my normal use and programs, they will consistently run 8 days, so they get changed every Monday morning before I go to work. (Seven days use).
Most of the time now I’m wearing my Aquaris models which use size 13 batteries, and I consistently get about 15 to 16 days, so they get changed every other Friday (Payday), for worry free performance. To maintain fresh spares, I always use the ones in my caddy to replace the ones in my aids, then refill the caddy from the pack at home.

I had one similar to that on my keychain and one day I realized that the little drawer part of it had gone missing, never did find it.

How do you carry more than 2 batteries? don’t they short if they come in contact the wrong way?
I carry 6 in a small pill box (1 3/8x1x3/8). Added glued thin plastic dividers to make 6 compartments.
The box goes into the jeans small snuff pocket, so constant normal temp.
I’ve done this since Costco discontinued the battery in a card container.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. From what I’ve heard I’ve learned that the batteries are somewhat susceptible to heat so simply storing a set of batteries in the console of my car would not be a best practice. Also storing them in a metal pill container attached to my key ring would not be a good idea either. My provider gave me some PowerOne batteries that come in a thin package of 6 batteries and I’m going to see how storing one of these containers in my wallet does but I’ve also purchased a small plastic spare battery container for my key ring as well. Many have suggested that I simply get use to how long the batteries will typically last and start changing them out before they run out which is certainly a good idea but right now I’ve only had my aids for 1 week and I will need to track the lifespan of the batteries for some time to get a better feel for how long they really last. My most immediate concern is travel as I have 3 trips planned between now and the end of the year and I don’t want to have to have my main supply of batteries readily accessible if I’m out and about all of a sudden I start hearing a low battery indicator. Thanks all for your advice as I appreciated all of the replies.

Baywood: It looks like your post might be in reply to me. You’re right. I think that happened to me once when I pulled out what seemed to be dead batteries. It initially made space sense to stack them opposite (thus the “shorting”) but there seems to be enough room to stack them. I haven’t had a problem since.

Does anyone else have Power One batteries that have the sticky tab’s attached to the battery package so you have to carry the whole package with you?

I wear jeans all the time. The entire package of six fits just fine in the watch pocket.