Another Phonak Sphere observation

There has been a lot of reviews but I thought I would add one more experience.

I finally got my Sphere 90s after a long delay waiting for the correct cshells from Phonak. Last evening which was a Saturday, my wife, grandson (12yo) and I went to a local sports bar/restaurant for supper. The place holds about 75 to a hundred customers. This place has concreate floors with no sound deadening decor. It was jam packed with families, many with small children and teenagers. Adults were drinking beer or another beverage of their choice and the Mets/Phillies game was on one TV while the Yankees was on another and some were yelling and jumping up and down when the Mets did something good. In the past, with my L90s I would have just set quietly and ate my hamburger. With the new Phonak Spheres I was actually able to have a nice conversation with my wife without much problem. Wow!!

You can see from my audiogram that I have a steep hearing loss in the upper frequencies and I was using frequency lowering aggressively. So, so far I am a happy camper.

32 Likes

Thanks for posting this. The Spheric AI noise reduction is a game changer and it’s nice to see other people posting similar experiences. Background noise is a bit weird at times but voices sound great.

Jordan

8 Likes

I havent had the environment yet to really check mine out

Has anybody tried it in the car? Does it also remove the typical engine/road background noise?

@DamonHill, he made a good review…

8 Likes

That’s a wonderful news. Go out to all the places you like and enjoy to max.
All the best.

YC

2 Likes

My car is pretty quiet, but autosense wont even kick into music, and I have a 5k$ audiophile sound system in it.

1 Like

Yeah, in my experience “music“ is the only situation when Autosense doesn’t really seem to get the right context, even more so in a car…

I don’t have these hearing aids. However, I have autosense 4 in my Paradise P90R’s. I’ve never seen them switch into “music” mode in 3 years of use. I would have to be using my phone APP to detect it. As passenger, I have used “music”, but only briefly. My Jeep Rubicon wasnt a good environment. My Alfa Romeo is. My HA’s are 3 years old. They’re finally (yesterday!) set up so I can listen to music in my Alfa.

It’s been a long haul. I’m following this thread and others so I’ll know what hearing aids to select in two more years.

(My take: the last 3 sets of Phonaks are similar. The new one is greatly improved.)

I’ve noticed this too. My guess is that Autosense is able to determine that you are moving in a car (not clear how this happens) and it then forces itself into speech in car program. Best way to deal with it is to manually change to music but be prepared for lots of road noise too. The other thing I have noticed is that it does take about 30-45 seconds of continuous music to trigger the music program when you are just listening to music in a room, etc. I think this is on purpose to prevent it from flipping into music too much when you walk by a music source that you are not listening to.

Jordan

4 Likes

My Autosense Music works, but mostly in the quiet room + music environment. I can’t remember does it blend with Speech in Car program (probably not, IIRC).

I have it set to quick transition in the Target software, so it kicks in after ~10s. You or your HCP can move the slider up to ~35s.

2 Likes

I agree about it not being a moving vehicle and relative low noise. I sometimes see it switch to music before I get around to changing it in worship. But no dice if the HVAC is running or there is a heavy rain storm hitting the roof. It also seems to have varying taste for what is music. :wink:

WH

3 Likes

I dont even see Speech in Car, as I recall its like Calm (but I dont recall if with noise or not)

But I still cant even tell with selecting TV or Music, any changes at all in either environment.

1 Like

I see “speech in car” sometimes if I turn my phone and APP on.

I had issues with that with my Jeep Rubicon. It had pinpoint mic aiming; I couldn’t hear the passenger at all when I was driving. Didn’t work well.

Thats with Paradise P90R’s. and an earlier version of auto-whatsit.

I can change it??? I guess I’m not following how I could do so…

Your HCP can do it in target. If you want to do it yourself, mosey on over to the DIY Category and start asking questions. :wink:

WH

1 Like

Sorry, I can’t write numbers properly with the cursor. :laughing:

This isn’t my recent setting.

2 Likes

can I not as an audiologist get target?

I found the DIY section, so appears I need to get the Noahlink Wireless and a link to the target software?

3 Likes

Yes, there is Noahlink Wireless and Noahlink Wireless 2. Both should you link with the HAs with Bluetooth.