Your thoughts on used hearing aids

As I mentioned in a previous thread, I’m looking to purchase a backup set of hearing aids. Yesterday I was searching in eBay and noticed many people selling used hearing aids. I currently have oticon more 1.

Has anyone had any experience in purchasing used hearing aids ?

Does anyone know where I could get a second set of more1 hearing aids at a discounted price ?

Does oticon still sell more 1? Would they be cheaper because they now have the oticon real?

Love to hear your thoughts and experiences.
I spoke to my audiologist and she said in her experience used hearing aids end up costing more than new ones.

1 Like

I am a self programmer and I have purchased several pairs of used hearing aids from facebook market place, here are some More 1’s

Between my hearing aids (Lumity L90), two Roger Ons, and various accessories (chargers, extra receivers, etc.), I’ve shelled out about $2500 for what would have cost more like $10,000 if I’d gone through a local audiologist rather than buying on ebay. However, it’s a crapshoot, and you may need to either have professional help or be pretty good at trouble-shooting yourself.

The aids were fine. They were sold as ‘barely used’ by an audiologist looking to offload them after a patient returned them post-trial. No drama there. I won them for a bit less than $2,000. I could have gotten the same thing for cheaper if I was willing to wait longer and look for listings posted by people who had no idea what they were selling (e.g. “hearing aids - power on, but can’t test” vs. “Phonak Audeo Lumity L90s - barely used, like new, guaranteed in working order”). I looked into ebay’s return policy before buying them, and if they hadn’t worked, I’d have had some protection and should have been able to return them for a refund.

The serial numbers are consecutive, and Target says the warranty runs from about a month before I bought them, which lines up with what the seller said. But Phonak says self-programming voids the warranty, so keep that in mind if you’re planning to do it. That didn’t bother me, because I knew I could buy 1-2 additional pairs for what it would have cost to get one with a proper warranty.

The Roger Ons were another matter. I bought a Roger On In for less than $100 from someone selling a whole bunch of them. The were listed as ‘for parts,’ but it said they powered on and the seller just didn’t know how to test them. The listing said nothing about licenses, but they appeared new (the photo still had the plastic cover on the screen), so I thought the odds were good that it would have two licenses. I understood I was rolling the dice, and decided it was worth it at that price.

It worked fine at first. It had two licenses, upgraded via the Roger Upgrader, etc. I was thrilled to have gotten a functional Roger On for that price. But a few days later, it started doing this weird thing where it wouldn’t turn off. When I flipped the switch to ‘off,’ it would power off for a few seconds, then restart. It would keep doing that until the battery died. It functioned perfectly while on, but that just wasn’t a workable arrangement.

I shrugged, figured I’d gotten my money’s worth just for the licenses, and bought another one from a different seller (also for less than $100). Same saga: it worked initially, then started doing the same won’t-turn-off thing. I eventually figured out how to fix them both, but that required a fair amount of experimenting and assistance from a professional mechanic (to whom I conveniently happen to be married :slight_smile: ). If I hadn’t been able to do that, I guess I’d have tried going through Phonak for the warranty, but everything I’ve read suggests that would have been a frustrating waste of time. Or I’d have taken it to a cell phone repair place at the mall to see if they could figure out it, but I wasn’t optimistic about that, either.

Your audi may be right that used aids often cost more than new ones, depending on how you plan to program them. When you buy new aids through an audi, the price often includes programming, follow-up visits, cleaning, warranty servicing, replacement doodads, etc. If you just bring in a set of aids you bought an ebay and still want the audi to do all of those things, then they’re going to charge you separately for all of them, and the total may well end up being more. But if you can handle most of it yourself and you want to go that route, it can be a lot cheaper. It’s also higher-risk, though, so you probably shouldn’t spend your last $1500 buy used aids on ebay. In that situation, you’ll be SOL if anything goes sideways.

Sorry for the massive wall of text! TL;DR: This can be fine and a huge cost savings, but it’s a crapshoot. Budget accordingly.

6 Likes

Your source for this statement?
It’s something that’s been mentioned over the years on the forum but I’ve only seen the “end licence agreement” and haven’t seen a single post on any DIY project being rejected like this.

1 Like

I saw it in the fine print at the bottom of one of their pdfs. I don’t remember if it was a user guide or an outline of the features of something, but I’ll try to find it again.

Yes if you find it, this would be a very good reference for those of us that are onto DIY projects.

1 Like

This isn’t what I saw the first time, but it’s more thorough. It says at the beginning that Sonova will only directly sell to professionals, so the warranty only applies to those sales in the first place. Professionals can violate it in several ways, including unauthorized resale. Here are some quotes (bolding added):

Hearing Professional Consultation
Fitting of Sonova USA products without face-to-face consultation (or a telehealth consultation provided in accordance with applicable state and federal law) with a licensed medical professional, audiologist or fitter shall void the Original Manufacturer’s Warranties unless authorized in writing by Sonova USA. Resale without Sonova USA approval to an entity known to fit Sonova USA products without face-to-face consultation shall constitute a material breach of these Terms & Conditions and also shall void the Original Manufacturer’s Warranties.

Resale
The resale of Sonova USA hearing instruments to persons or entities other than your Customers without Sonova USA’s prior written consent is prohibited. Upon resale without the foregoing consent, the Original Manufacturer’s Warranties for the product shall be deemed null and void. Such resale without consent shall constitute a material breach of these Terms & Conditions.

[Me again.] My read on it is that self-fitting violates the warranty, as does buying on ebay whether you self-fit them or not. Maybe there’s room for argument about whether any type of programming is “fitting”? The way the ‘resale’ section is phrased looks like it includes patients selling their old aids on ebay, because it doesn’t specify who’s doing the reselling.

It sucks, because you know I’m a big proponent of this approach and it’s worked really well for me, but I think people should know this going in.

Yeah there are the ones I see all the time, especially when installing target, but I think the lesson is, don’t tell them your doing DIY projects anyway, I can’t imagine why anyone would tell Phonak that!

2 Likes

I don’t think it’s quite that simple if you have to mail them something, because they’re going to see your name and return address, and they can easily see that you’re not on their list of licensed HCP customers. If you look at the service forms for this, they’re intended to be filled out by the HCP, not the end user. I don’t know how carefully Phonak is checking, or whether they’re paying any attention at all. But I don’t think it’s safe to assume that you can just mail them an aid that gets bricked a few months after you bought it on ebay, and they’ll fix or replace it at no charge. Has anyone successfully done that?

Actually, maybe I’ll undo the fix I made to one of the Ons, then send it in for repair and see what they do. Worst case, they just ship it back to me and I’m out some shipping costs. I don’t think they’re allowed to just keep it.

2 Likes

But you don’t have to be a licenced dealer to send in, and yes I’ve done it quite a few times, both with ReSound and Unitron, I did it with Signia as well, dropped it off in person, but they refused to send it back directly after repair, I had to get those sent back to my local at the University, I’ve also had mine sent in by my local clinic, everything was repaired and sent back, they were all brought used of eBay, some repaired under warranty (Phonak) both Unitron, ReSound and Signia all charged me even tho I had warranty left to run, this was because of the limited international warranty, only one has bricked the Unitron ( iCube issues bricked them!)

Did you buy new on eBay? Just be sure you know the history of it, like it’s not one replacement under the lost and replaced program offered by the manufacturer or a insurance replacement, then they’ll confiscate it!

I bought used Phonaks (still under warranty) but I didn’t like the colour. I approached Phonak Canada and they told me to have a licensed provider send them in. Every Audiologist that I contacted either would not take me on as a “walk-in” or else they told me that since I was not the original owner then Phonak would confiscate them. I finally found a supplier willing to help me for a “reasonable” fee. Phonak changed the casings to my preference under the warranty and returned them, no problems.

4 Likes

So they were making this up, once sold “Phonak” do not own them, and for that matter any you do buy new, you have every right to sell them to who ever you choose, all the manufacturers have since time began, will try and “control” the secondary market, for very obvious reasons, to them… if only we could work a way out to have them self-destruct like something out of Mission impossible!

2 Likes

I also recently bought some rechargeable HA’s from an estate sale. I was concerned about the state of the batteries but since the HA’s are still under warranty I figured no problem I will get them replaced just before the warranty expires. I will see if they get confiscated!

1 Like

This would only happen if they are reported stolen or have been replaced under insurance (for whatever reason) I think you’ll be fine as a estate find, did you manage to check the warranty through your local clinic or target.

3 Likes

Will they really change the color under the warranty? That’s definitely worth knowing!

Interestingly, both my Roger Ons say ‘contact Phonak’ in Target where the warranty information should be. They’re the only Roger devices I’ve ever owned, so I thought it was like that for all of them. But upon further reflection, mine may have both been part of a batch that Phonak scrapped due the same mechanical defect with the switch. Maybe I’ll call up Phonak and see what they say.

1 Like

Yeah I’ve come across this myself, a couple of times, the issue was they weren’t sold new in USA, but UK which I couldn’t check, I didn’t worry about it, as I used them untill they were obsolete and just replaced with newer platforms.

1 Like

Yes, I did it here in Canada.

1 Like