Would love to hear comments on my selection process

I have been wearing Oticon model Hearing aids for around 12 years and as much as I try, cannot adapt to their philosophy of open hearing. So I am trying different aids with mixed results. I have ski slop hearing similar in both ears that drop about 20 db at 500 hz, 40 at 1K, 70 at 1.5, 80 at 3K, and 90 at 5K. Beside general good hearing aid response, my chief concern is hearing in noisy environments and decent call streaming quality. So far.

Oticon, excellent except I cannot adapt to their open environment strategy for speech in noise.

Starkey Genesis: You can see my other thread, but the pair that I trialed had issues in noisy environments. Low rumble sound. I tried them when they first came out and this might have been corrected. Their fidelity did not seem that great. Good streaming.

Widex Moment 440: Again good aids, but high frequency seems to be lacking. Not adjusted using REM

Resound Omnia; Seems to be the best and I will try the Nexia. I believe the Omnia and Nexia are very similar in their sound strategy. The bummer that I had with the Omnia is they stopped working in the middle of the trial and it left a bad taste. Streaming was very poor, but speech in noise good.

Any Thoughts? I would love to hear them, especially your thoughts on Resound.

Thanks

What about Signia? Did you try it?

First thought is that you should post your audiogram profile so everyone can see what kind of hearing loss you have. This is very relevant for any discussion to ensue.

2 Likes

I have not. I live in a smaller town with not the best selection. Also, very hard to find an aud. that use REM and has a selection. I will put them on my list
Thanks

1 Like

I will try to post my profile, thanks

1 Like

I tried Signia Pure charge & go 7 TIX (with telecoil because the battery is huge) with open domes then I asked my Audi that I wanna try with custom molds so I am waiting for them to arive.
I liked the sound, the bluetooth connectivity and to be honest, I love their fitting software (bought Noahlink wireless 2) and I plan to adapt the settings my self

PS please upload your audiometry

Without sounding too dumb, how do I post my audiogram

edit forum profile and enter the values in the specific boxes

URL to enter the audio: Sign In

Thank you. Found the link and added.

1 Like

Thanks for posting your audiogram now. Boy, that is the straightest and most linear ski slope loss I’ve ever seen. The normal ski slope tends to have an audible zone in the low to mid frequency range, then a sharp drop into a much less audible zone the mid to high frequency range. Yours doesn’t have any “flat terrain” at the top and the bottom.

The open paradigm in the Oticon aids is not for everyone. If you like the Oticon aids but don’t like their open paradigm, perhaps you can try out the Phillips 9040 aids sold at Costco for $1500. They haven many of the Oticon features, but they don’t subscribe to the open paradigm that Oticon does. Their AI focuses mostly on cleaning up the noise from the speech, so you may find it having a similar sound to Oticon aids, yet more aggressively trying to suppress noise from the speech. Plus, it’s an excellent value aid at $1500/pair.

I haven’t had the chance to test Oticon, yet
How does it sound like?
You just made me curious

To me, the Oticon has very good natural sound. Also, the reliability has been very good. Again, my issue is the open concept. By the way, I could tell only a little difference from the Opn to the Real. If you can adapt to the open concept, I would recommend. By the way, thanks for you comment Volusiano, unfortunately do not have Costco near me

1 Like

The idea of the open paradigm that Oticon promotes is that they don’t aggressively mute out all surrounding sounds in favor of speech in the front, even in noisy environments. They just clean up the noise from the speech to make speech more clear, but they let most of the surrounding sounds in as well, after using an AI’s Deep Neural Network model to rebalance the surrounding sounds better. This way, you get to hear everything around you, but still understand speech.

You may have to exercise your brain hearing some more to sort out the sounds and learn to focus on the speech (or whatever you want to hear) and tune out what you don’t want to hear. Some people don’t like this open paradigm because they only care to hear the speech and nothing else in noisy environments.

Thank you.
I guess it’s also very tiring to hear everything.
My head would explode :grin:

1 Like

I have been wearing Oticon aids for 14 years and I love the open paradigm. I cannot stand the feeling of having hearing blinders. Maybe it is because I am claustrophobic and cannot stand a closed in feeling. Yes hearing can make me feel closed in too. While i do have issues at times with understanding speech in a noisy environment, it isn’t that bad. My audiologist has don’t a wonderful job of giving me as much comfort and speech understanding in noisy places as possible. And the Speech Booster does help a lot.

1 Like

I second the recommendation for Signia Pure Charge&Go IX. In addition to having a very natural sound, the version with tinnitus masking provides 39 hours of battery time on a single charge.

The Phonak Audeo Lumity 90 is also excellent for clarity of speech. The same technology is also available in the Phonak Slim. I liked the Slim because instead of a rocker switch on both hearing aids, there is a single button on each aid - right side increases volume, left decreases volume. Much easier to use for my fingers.

How do you guys find the Signia in speech in noise. I am in Court a lot, which is a noisy environment.
Also, any experience or knowledge of the Resound Omnia or Nexia.

Thanks

the battery just sucks bro. Took 12h to empty both.

I loved it but you must test it.
only you can decide if it’s good for you.
the fitting software is also great for customizations